Home
I received this back from Mark Penrod during the first part of December. It started life as a Model 77 Hawkeye in .308 WCF that I'd acquired used on Gunbroker for $400. The scope is a Leupold VX-II 2x7 mounted in Ruger factory low rings (4BHM/3BHM).The final details are listed below.

I managed to first shoot it with some old Hornady "Light Magnum" loads I'd bought about 14 years ago. The wind was howling like hell during that range session, but it still managed to print some consistent 1-inch groups at 100 yards.

I chrono'd loads during the last range session and wrung out the new barrel a little more. The first load consisted of 40.0 grains of IMR-4350 behind a 117-grain Sierra BTSP in Remington brass with a Winchester large rifle primer that produced an average velocity of 2602 FPS and a mediocre 1.107 three-shot group. The second load was a 117-grain Hornady BTSP over 39.2 grains of IMR-4350 in non-+P Winchester brass with a Winchester large rifle primer for 2521 FPS and outstanding 0.676" groups

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Glad your back!
Your Posts have always made me laugh at the least and struck the hammer of knowledge on my narrow head most times

Interesting Mark Penrod chose to have a pressure point. I seem to have one on most of my rifles to get them shooting there best. Esp. Rugers. Welcome Home some of us missed you. Kurt

Nice looking.

0.676" works.....

You mentioned doing some hog hunting, any fresh pics?? What gun did you use?
Hi Bricktop. Long time no see. Hope all is well.

Are you satisfied with the work your 'smith did on the Ruger? There is a LH Ruger in my future and it'll likely end up as a 6MM Rem since I already have a 257 Robts on a Tikka T3 frame.

Where does Mark Penrod live? Do you have his contact info?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Nice looking.

0.676" works.....

You mentioned doing some hog hunting, any fresh pics?? What gun did you use?
Here's a short write-up I did on PM: CLICK D LINK

My go-to hog rifle over the past year has been my stainless Ruger 77 Hawkeye in .223. That thing has been absolutely deadly on hogs.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Hi Bricktop. Long time no see. Hope all is well.

Are you satisfied with the work your 'smith did on the Ruger? There is a LH Ruger in my future and it'll likely end up as a 6MM Rem since I already have a 257 Robts on a Tikka T3 frame.

Where does Mark Penrod live? Do you have his contact info?

Thanks.
He's out of Indiana. I'll email it to you.
Bricktop,

You've been missed, and glad to see that you are back.

Steve
Posted By: RGK Re: Ruger M77 Hawkeye .257 Roberts - 03/26/14
Nice .257. I have a rebarreled 24" Hawkeye in .30-06. The Ruger action, with a few minor upgrades, is growing on me. A .257 with a 24" barrel like yours would be a nice addition. I like how low your scope is over the bore. I've since replaced the Warne rings with Leupolds, which sit much lower.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bricktop
here's a short write-up I did on PM: CLICK D LINK

My go-to hog rifle over the past year has been my stainless Ruger 77 Hawkeye in .223. That thing has been absolutely deadly on hogs.

What bullet are you using? Factory or hand load ammo? Nice write up, by the way.
You ever roast/smoke any of those little porkers whole.?

I imagine those would be delicious...
here's a short write-up I did on PM: CLICK D LINK

What bullet are you using? Factory or hand load ammo? Nice write up, by the way.
I've been using a handload consisting of a 55-grain Sierra Blitz King over 25.0 grains of WC844 and a WSR primer for 3011 FPS. The hogs don't like it much.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

I cleaned a few in the past and refuse to do any more. Yes, they're delicious, but they're a lot of work and the stench is overwhelming. I'm willing to help anyone who wants to butcher one of these drag it out and hang it up, but I have yet to find any takers.
Posted By: 79S Re: Ruger M77 Hawkeye .257 Roberts - 03/26/14
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

I cleaned a few in the past and refuse to do any more. Yes, they're delicious, but they're a lot of work and the stench is overwhelming. I'm willing to help anyone who wants to butcher one of these drag it out and hang it up, but I have yet to find any takers.

Give me directions I will be their! smile
Nice 257. Definitely on my short list of calibers to build.
As far as the pigs go, I let the big pigs lay. But those piglets are wonderful on a traeger!
[/quote]I've been using a handload consisting of a 55-grain Sierra Blitz King over 25.0 grains of WC844 and a WSR primer for 3011 FPS. The hogs don't like it much.

I can tell. grin
Posted By: MOG Re: Ruger M77 Hawkeye .257 Roberts - 03/26/14
Great work, a simple and elegant job very well executed.

Regards,

Mog
Love the 257 Roberts and have come to be very fond of the stock design and shape of the Ruger Hawkeye.
If I were going to build a 6MM Rem, would you recommend a long action donor?
Love the 257 Roberts and have come to be very fond of the stock design and shape of the Ruger Hawkeye.
If I were going to build a 6MM Rem, would you recommend a long action donor?
Not for the 6mm. The .257 only if I was going to exclusively use 120 grain slugs.
Okay, thanks.
Welcome back Bricktop. Looks like you've kept yourself busy. As of yet I don't own any Rugers, but I sure like the lines of those hawkeyes.
Originally Posted by bbassi
Welcome back Bricktop. Looks like you've kept yourself busy. As of yet I don't own any Rugers, but I sure like the lines of those hawkeyes.
They're one of the best deals out there. I'm kind of kicking around the idea of getting another short action version and having a fast twist .220 Swift made up. (Sort of like the old Model 77V.)
not a lefty, but I recently acquired my 1st hawkeye in the RSI flavor (.250 salvage). I'm very impressed with the package. stock dimensions are good, balance is good, I like the action/CRF, it looks good, etc. Trigger is a little heavy in issued guise, but that can be remedied. I'm thinking that a .223 hawkeye is next on the list.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
I'm thinking that a .223 hawkeye is next on the list.
Ruger is one of the few who uses a 1-in-9" twist as well. That was a good selling point for me. I picked up a (relatively) inexpensive used CM Hawkeye .223 to back up my stainless version recently. (It was $500 all said and done.)
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
I'm thinking that a .223 hawkeye is next on the list.
Ruger is one of the few who uses a 1-in-9" twist as well. That was a good selling point for me. I picked up a (relatively) inexpensive used CM Hawkeye .223 to back up my stainless version recently. (It was $500 all said and done.)

Ruger - between the 223 and 243 seems to get it, a little on twist.

I've been eye-raping a NIB Hawkeye at Cabelas in 35 Whelen (I'm a righty BTW). I might be getting old but they seem heavier than the old MKII's I'm used to - perhaps an extra dense chunk of timber on this one maybe. Cabelas by me doesn't stock ANY Hawkeyes - only the American it seems.
Originally Posted by teal
I've been eye-raping a NIB Hawkeye at Cabelas in 35 Whelen (I'm a righty BTW). I might be getting old but they seem heavier than the old MKII's I'm used to - perhaps an extra dense chunk of timber on this one maybe.
What barrel profile are the .35 Whelens using? The .25-06 versions use a magnum profile for whatever reason.
My Tikka T3 Hunter has a 1-8 twist. That's why I bought it.
I chronographed a new load today:
  • 117 grain Hornady BTSP
  • 42.4 grains H4350
  • W-W non +P case
  • WLR primer
  • C.O.L. 2.780"
  • Chronographed 10 rounds over an Alpha Model Shooting Chrony for an average velocity of 2812 FPS
  • Ambient temperature 79 Deg F
  • Four different three-shot groups fired, each measuring approximately 0.793"
I picked up three pounds of RL-19 from another local shooter that I'd like to try next. (I also have nine or ten pounds of IMR-4350, an 8 lb. jug of AA-4350, and an 8 lb. jug of Ramshot Big Game.)
I think I'd feel pretty smug with THOSE results..... cool
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
I think I'd feel pretty smug with THOSE results..... cool
It's been a pain in the ass to get to the range for whatever reason this year. I've either been hooked up with something, the range has been hosting various events, the weather hasn't cooperated, etc.
Originally Posted by bbassi
They're one of the best deals out there. I'm kind of kicking around the idea of getting another short action version and having a fast twist .220 Swift made up. (Sort of like the old Model 77V.)

I picked up one of the Predators this year (.308) and I'm very pleased. The veggie pizza stock is a little wild for an old fat man, but preliminary groups are very encouraging. The 2-stage trigger is a peach.

Posted By: RGK Re: Ruger M77 Hawkeye .257 Roberts - 09/05/14
Your .257 would be a perfect partner to this '06 I had built. I'm thinking about it seriously; a 24" barreled 77 with a short action in .257 would be just right for these little TX whitetails.
Bob

[Linked Image]
My 257 Roberts with a 1/9 twist loves 100G bullets - all flavors.
I believe the shape and form of the Hawkeye stock is among the best offered on a factory rifle.
Posted By: RGK Re: Ruger M77 Hawkeye .257 Roberts - 09/10/14
I believe the shape and form of the Hawkeye stock is among the best offered on a factory rifle.

Agreed. Love to have one with a nice piece of Circassian for my next build.
Bob
I loaded up and tried an RL-19 load the other day:
  • 117 grain Hornady BTSP
  • 46.0 grains RL-19
  • R-P case
  • WLR primer
  • C.O.L. 2.780"
  • Chronographed 10 rounds over an Alpha Model Shooting Chrony for an average velocity of 2914 FPS, S.D. of 16.70
  • Ambient temperature of 80 Deg F
  • Two different five-shot groups fired, each measuring 0.561" (two three-shot groups also fired measuring approximately the same, but chronograph malfunctions prevented data capture -- diffusers were required)
  • Load data from Hornady manual listed in 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th editions (maximum listed load is 47.2 grains)
  • No excessive pressures exhibited in extraction or fired cases
I loaded up and tried an RL-19 load the other day:
  • 117 grain Hornady BTSP
  • 46.0 grains RL-19
  • R-P case
  • WLR primer
  • C.O.L. 2.780"
  • Chronographed 10 rounds over an Alpha Model Shooting Chrony for an average velocity of 2914 FPS, S.D. of 16.70
  • Ambient temperature of 80 Deg F
  • Two different five-shot groups fired, each measuring 0.561" (two three-shot groups also fired measuring approximately the same, but chronograph malfunctions prevented data capture -- diffusers were required)
  • Load data from Hornady manual listed in 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th editions (maximum listed load is 47.2 grains)
  • No excessive pressures exhibited in extraction or fired cases

That's pretty darned impressive. I have a pound of RL19 and nothing much to do with it. Maybe I should try it. What would you expect for velocities with the Ruger ultralight 20" barrel.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
What would you expect for velocities with the Ruger ultralight 20" barrel.
RL-19 is slow stuff, right behind IMR-4831. I would guess closer to a 200 FPS hit with four inches less barrel. However, even at 2700 FPS, a 117-grain slug is still delivering 1892 LBF-FT of energy, which is only 115 LBF-FT less than Hornady's +P Light Magnum load with the same bullet. I'd run a few over a chronograph and see for sure.
Bricktop, you have likely done more testing with the 257 Bob than many on here, if given a choice of all the powders that work for it, which one would be your choice when using a 117 grain bullet?
Bricktop, you have likely done more testing with the 257 Bob than many on here, if given a choice of all the powders that work for it, which one would be your choice when using a 117 grain bullet?
It would have to be that RL-19, without a doubt. It was the top powder I used with my No. 1 in .257 Roberts and it's provided the top velocities in this rifle, too. The 4350s would be a close second.
I have never tried Rel 19 in the Roberts, but IMR 4350 has given the best accuracy in my brother Model 70 with the Sierra 120 gr BTHP grouping right at 1/2 inch and my Sako 257 Rob Imp, IMR 4831 is the best powder i have used for this rifle.
thanks to both of you.
It would have to be that RL-19, without a doubt. It was the top powder I used with my No. 1 in .257 Roberts and it's provided the top velocities in this rifle, too. The 4350s would be a close second.

© 24hourcampfire