Home
Posted By: ejo Mcmillan Stock for Model 70 338 - 10/17/14
Mcmillan has limited options for Winchester lefty stocks. I would like to try the hunter but they do not offer that one in lefty.

The rifle is a 338 win and will be scoped in 3.5-10x40.

Anyone have a mcmillan on a model 70 that they are happy with? I would love to see some pics and thoughts.

Thanks for your time.
Have a WinLite stock on a push feed XTR. WinLite is the McM FWT pattern without the checkering. Like the ergonomics. But, don't know that I would put one on a .338WM.

Had a McM Pre-64 Monte Carlo stock on a LH M70 .300H&H. Traded into a LH Echols Legend stock for the .300. (McM makes the Legend stock blanks for D'Arcy Echols.) Really like the open grip on the Legend stock. The McM Pre-64 Monte Carlo stock went down the road.

If you can find a LH Echols Legend stock, I don't think you will be disappointed...
I put a Supergrade on my 358Norma. It's about as good as it gets for LH options outside of a Echols Legend.
I have handled an Echols Legend and their stocks are very nice. It is too bad that they don't come with a full inlet.

Orion2000 - who did the fitting on yours?

Thanks for your input
When I traded into the stock, it was already finished. Having said that, what I traded was a raw Legend blank that only had the action and barrel inlet (+ cash...).

Occasionally, you can get a blank from Mr. Echols with the action and barrel inlet. Just need to rasp in the cut for the bolt handle. When I spoke with Mr. Echols, he indicated there were too many variations of bolt handles (size, sweep, angle, etc) to have the bolt cut done before hand. He was very polite, down-to-earth, and helpful while we were on the phone.

Good luck with your search !
ejo, Yes you can get the Hunter for a lefty 70.

Order the Sako Hunter in lefty, and you will pay an additional 1/2 hour of labor to have the tang area re-worked, that will be 28 bucks.

I have two Sako left Hunters, and they are by far my favorite stock.

The Hunter has a loyal following, few who have them, dislike them.

The palm swell alone, adds enough personality, to put this stock at the top of the charts.

I just received my Hunter about two months ago, I went with Edge construction, and it's light, Rifle balances nicely being muzzle heavy.

I have another Hunter in Standard fill, 38 oz if I recall, and that rifle feels sluggish to me, just heavier from muzzle to butt. Very nice at the Bench though.

Just do it. Pics possible this after noon.
Here is a picture of a McMillan I had on my 338 Model 70.
Sold it a few years back and don't remember the model, but I had it made with a longer LOP
Maybe you can tell the model by the picture, great stock.
[Linked Image]
38 ounces is one heavy micky stock...almost 2 1/2 pounds alone.
Originally Posted by broomd
38 ounces is one heavy micky stock...almost 2 1/2 pounds alone.

Like I said, nice at the bench.
24 hour

ejo, there's a few lefty Hunters in this thread, click the link....

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

A left hand Sako Hunter on a Winchester 70 .300wsm,

stock alone weighs 25 oz. Complete package 7 3/4 lbs with 2.5x8 Luepy and steel Talleys. Not much I would change here.
Very nice!

Was that a featherweight that you started with? I also have a 300wsm fwt that I am wanting to restock.
Exactly, here the term "featherweight" is quite the mis-nomer,

the only resemblance to a FW was the Schnabel and Fleur-de-lis checkering.
Is that the factory barrel? If not what contour?
To answer the OP's question: Echols legend...
Factory barrel.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
To answer the OP's question: Echols legend...

I've never held a Legend, so I'm going with a touch of hearsay on this,

I've always heard the Legend has a more open horizontal grip, the Hunter has the more closed vertical grip, What's your preference?
I like more of an open grip. I have big mitts and closed grips cramp my style. I love the hunters compact which is a lot different than your sako hunter. The high cheek piece on the sako would drive me nuts as well. The echols legend is cool because you can also have them put a left hand cheekpiece on a right handed action stock. Kenneth, I'll throw a few of my newer Mcmillan's on utah's template here in a bit.
My LH M70s are all custom FW style barrelled actions in the McM Hunter's Edge. Were I putting together a medium/heavier weight M70 hunting rifle, my first choice would be the Echol's Legend.
Sounds exactly like something BobinNH would say.. grin
I have both an Echols legend on a Model 70 and a McMillan Sako Classic on a Tikka 695. They may be able to do that on special order too. Both are great stocks but I would love to have two Echols legends instead. Here is a pic of my Tikka hope it helps.

[Linked Image]

Oh yeah there's a Tahr there to.

Regards,

Mog
I have a 338 Win with a McMillan Supergrade stock (top)
I also have a 300 Win and a 416 Rem with Echols Legend stocks (300 Win below)

They are both great stocks. I like the Legend for shooting offhand a little better. Shooting off sticks - they are very similar.

[Linked Image]
I have both the supergrade (mag fill on .416 Rem) and Legend ( standard fill on a.338 Win and a Edge fill 7 Mag.) I find they both fit about the same due to grip shape and drop. But the supergrade feels clunkier and lacks the aesthetic detail of the Legend. I had the edge fill on the .338 before I moved it, and would do it again if I wanted to keep the weight down, if the barrel is no longer than about 24."
I spoke with Mr. Echols this morning and I placed an order for a Legend (edge shell with magnum fill). He recommended this option as it will be stiffer with the edge shell.

Great guy, really took his time with me. Thanks for all the info and I will keep you posted on how it turns out.

Nice work ejo, do you mind if I ask what the expected turn around time is?

Regards,

Mog
I was told 5 months or so. I expect it to deliver next April or May.
Originally Posted by ejo
I spoke with Mr. Echols this morning and I placed an order for a Legend (edge shell with magnum fill). He recommended this option as it will be stiffer with the edge shell.

Great guy, really took his time with me. Thanks for all the info and I will keep you posted on how it turns out.

I don't think you'll have any regrets at all. I look forward to seeing the finished product. I think you made a wise decision...
Originally Posted by MOG
I have both an Echols legend on a Model 70 and a McMillan Sako Classic on a Tikka 695. They may be able to do that on special order too. Both are great stocks but I would love to have two Echols legends instead. Here is a pic of my Tikka hope it helps.

[Linked Image]

Oh yeah there's a Tahr there to.

Regards,

Mog

Cool picture. Thanks for sharing..
Originally Posted by ejo

What are your weight goals for this rifle? I had a mag fill Legend on a 375 H&H and sold it because it was way too heavy.
Not really stressing over weight on this one. However, I am not looking for a 10 pound one either. Any idea on the weight of your stock? Not sure I have an option to go with a lighter fill with the 338 win.
ejo,
I built a .375H&H without keeping an eye on weight. Ended up at 1lbs scoped. Very accurate. A pussy cat to shoot. But a bear to pack above 10K ft. If you are not happy with the Legend stock when you get it, I don't think you will have a hard time moving it down the road. Good luck with your build !

MOG,
Beautiful picture !

Originally Posted by ejo
Not really stressing over weight on this one. However, I am not looking for a 10 pound one either. Any idea on the weight of your stock? Not sure I have an option to go with a lighter fill with the 338 win.

D'Arcy can get you one with Magnum fill on the action, and the rest of the stock is Edge fill. I understand that is the stock he builds all his Legends on now. Weighs about the same as a sporter fill - but has the magnum strength.

I have the magnum fill on my 416. I like the weight in that rifle.

Found a better picture of my 300WM

[Linked Image]
Stunning rifle there Ngrumba thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Mog
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds exactly like something BobinNH would say.. grin
Hehe... Great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ?

MOG, great picture and animal! Thanks for sharing.
© 24hourcampfire