Home
Posted By: blackbruin lefty compact - 05/05/15
I know I'm limited without a custom, too bad ruger didn't make their compact in lefty. I did find a stainless LH ruger American stainless compact on davidsons, apparently they are the only ones with that model? I would like to hold it, and not sure about the americas quality. Its for the thick rocky laurel covered state forests of north central Pennsylvania. Short barrel, light, short overall length. Guess I'm getting tired of my levers and pumps, never owned a bolt, time for a change. Thanks for any suggestions...
Posted By: coyote268 Re: lefty compact - 05/05/15
Nothing wrong with the American
Posted By: WPAHunter50 Re: lefty compact - 05/06/15
Take a look at the Remington 700 youth. I have one in 7-08 and I really like it. Put a Pachmayr or Sims slip-on recoil pad on and it will be @ 13.5 lop. Another option is to do what I did and get a CDL stock if you like wood. Mine has a 2x7 Leupold in dual dovetails. Light weight, perfect balance and groups 120 bt's under an inch. Feels much better than the American to me plus a better selection of after-market parts.
Posted By: bea175 Re: lefty compact - 05/06/15
I just wish Remington would have offered the Model 7 in Left Hand
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: lefty compact - 05/06/15
Take a look at the 300 and 338 RCM's. They came from the factory with 20 inch barrels, iron sights, and a reduced LOP of 13 inches. I own one in 338 RCM and love it but plan on putting a pad on it some day to make the LOP fit me better.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: lefty compact - 05/06/15
Originally Posted by bea175
I just wish Remington would have offered the Model 7 in Left Hand

Me too, ever since the day they announced them.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: lefty compact - 05/06/15
Heck, I wish they made a Tikka LH compact. My Daughter has one in RH and it doesn't care what you put in it. Everything is under an inch. Like to get one in 7mm-08 for my Granddaughter.
Posted By: Pointbock Re: lefty compact - 05/07/15
The American compact is really small. Handle a rh in a local shop and you'll get a sense of it. No qualms about the quality really, but that 18" bbl and the really short lop are noticeable. I think the 700 youth with a cdl stock would be nice. I have an A-bolt micro in 7mm-08. I like it OK and it has some features I wanted (tang safety, removable magazine.)

I wouldn't be afraid of the Ruger if it fits you.
Posted By: username Re: lefty compact - 05/08/15
I went with the Ruger Gunsite Scout 308 16" left hand. I'm not big on the scout rifle concept, but I like the iron sights. Right now, I'm just using irons, but I'll scope it with a FX3 6x42 before deer season.
© 24hourcampfire