Home
Posted By: Zengela Montana Rifles still open? - 03/29/17
I have not bought a new gun in awhile. Was poking around and was checking out the Montana rifle company website. Are they still in business? Someone said Remington bought them out and shut them down or makes them only make barrels for them? Was eying a lefty 35 Whelen. I probably shouldn't even think of asking about their soon to be released double square bridge lefty magnums(according to their website.) South paws rule!!
They are very much in business and making left hand rifles. Not everybody carries their rifles but you can find them on the net or Whittaker Guns has some in stock and can order others.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/
Posted By: Zengela Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 03/29/17
Thanks Jim. Now I gotta scrape up $1200 or so. Can they do semi custom? As in 6.5x55 Swede and such?
Originally Posted by Zengela
... Was eying a lefty 35 Whelen. ...

Was in Whittakers ~early January. Memory is a little fuzzy, however, I "thought" I handled a LH MRC rifle, wood blue, .35 Whelan at that time. Reason for thinking that it was a .35 Whelan was that the MRC AVR rifles use a heavier (#5 ?) barrel contour. Might be worth a call...
6.5x55 is a standard chambering for an MRC 1999, I have one - it's the one marked "Sold out" on the Whittaker's list. wink As to custom chamberings or custom builds I do not think MRC does that and you might find it difficult even if they did. To be candid, they make a good production rifle and as long as they make what you want you're good to go, but with one or two exceptions dealing with the people at MRC is a less than satisfactory experience.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
6.5x55 is a standard chambering for an MRC 1999, I have one - it's the one marked "Sold out" on the Whittaker's list. wink As to custom chamberings or custom builds I do not think MRC does that and you might find it difficult even if they did. To be candid, they make a good production rifle and as long as they make what you want you're good to go, but with one or two exceptions dealing with the people at MRC is a less than satisfactory experience.

Two years ago when SAS was doing the MRC 260 Rem group buy, the 6.5x55 was not yet a standard chambering for MRC. I ended up custom ordering a LH MRC chambered 6.5x55 from Whittaker's with all the same specs as the 260 group buy (Stainless, #2 barrel, fluted, 1:8" twist, green stock). Each change required $$$'s, but MRC did it.

Fast forward to late 2016 when MRC released their ALR rifles. I worked with Eric at Whittaker's to custom order a LH ALR. I requested several changes, the most important of which was a FWT barrel contour to reduce weight. MRC originally told Eric at Whittaker's that they would do it, and then backed off and declined. I am guessing that MRC may be something like Savage, if they can build what you want out of existing parts, they will do it. However, also supposing that all of their LH ALR stocks were inlet for a single standard barrel contour, and they did not want to put the cost and effort into doing a one-off LH FWT stock inlet...

If there is a specific MRC combination that you are interested in, I would recommend contacting Eric at Whittaker's to see what he can order from MRC. SAS and Eric are both good folks to work with.

Orion2000,

That could be, I ordered a LH 25-06 SS Fluted 26" mag contour 25-06 as an alternative to their standard X2. They did it no problem. But I guess going up in barrel contour it is a lot easier to modify an existing stock, or use one from the pile of LH LA/MAG pile. Took forever but it showed up.
Thanks, that's good info to know. Seems like going through a stocking dealer might be a better way to get good answers, much less a finished product.
i did some research and it appears Remington did indeed buy MRC:( Chitt Sandwich anyone? Anyone?
Originally Posted by 25aught6
i did some research and it appears Remington did indeed buy MRC:( Chitt Sandwich anyone? Anyone?
It appears you didn't do particularly thorough "research."

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7574565/JeffMRC#Post7574565
Posted By: Brazos Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 03/30/17
While on the subject, I sure like the looks of the X2 but haven't been able to see one in person.

Reviews from owners?

Thanks.
Summary would be that they are a good, well made rifle but they are heavy.

The barreled actions are high quality with a good design, and their barrels are pretty good since most of them are very accurate. Not Tikka accurate, but they can hold their own with most factory rifles. They are glass bedded and free floated from the factory and they do a good, quality job of it.

The X2 stock also seems pretty high quality, the pistol grip is fairly slender while the middle of the stock is kind of thick. The ASR stock is a Boyd's Prairie Hunter and I was less than impressed with the wood on mine but the design is very ergonomic and feels good in the hand. As far as I can tell it is the exact same stock you can get from Boyd's for $129, except that while Boyd's supplies this stock to MRC they don't offer any MRC inlets to the public.

The main drawback is that they are heavy. My .243 X2 weighs 8 lbs 2 oz and my 6.5x55 ASR is 8 lbs 11 oz, each with a Leupold 3-9 scope in talley lightweight mounts. Part of that is the action and part of that is the #3 contour of the barrel. IIRC MRC calls it a #2 but it's closer to most folks' #3. Of course that stiffer barrel could be part of the reason for their accuracy as well.

From a post I made a while back:

Pros:
- Nice ergonomics to the stock. It's a bit thick in the middle with a smaller pistol grip, but I suspect they did that so one stock can be used for light kicking rifles up through the boomers. The pg is nicely shaped, semi-open but positions the hand well to the trigger.
- Well finished. Inletting and glass bedding are well done.
- Great hunting trigger. I turned a couple of the lock nuts out to lighten the pull and it is now a consistent 2 3/4 lb pull but will not let off even from bouncing the butt on the floor fairly hard.
- Nicely accurate, definitely sub-MOA with several loads.

Cons:
- Heavy. Mine is a .243 and weighs 8 lbs 2 oz with a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 in talley lighweight mounts.

Posted By: TheDude Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 03/30/17
Remington bought the barrel making facility next door (Montana Rifleman) which used to be owned by the current owners of MRC. REM made barrels there in MT for a while but have long since moved the equipment and some personnel out of state.

MRC bought some used barrel making equipment from Ruger and continues to make their own barrels in house.

Originally Posted by Brazos
While on the subject, I sure like the looks of the X2 but haven't been able to see one in person.

Reviews from owners?

Jim_In_Idaho pretty well summed it up. Good ergos. Well made. Accurate. Just not light weights. I have two LH MRC X2 rifles and no current plans to part with them...
I bought a X2 in .300 RUM last year during Cabela's Black Friday sale...since it was $400 off list.

Heck of a rifle, very accurate and seems well put together. The extra weight doesn't bother me on a big .30.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 03/30/17
Thanks Jim and Orion and Tex.
It appears you are correct kind sir
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 04/17/17
I've got the lefty 260 Rem, very happy with it..still working loads up.
I have a 375 H&H V2. I had MRC put Chrome Moly matte on it and make the synthetic stock OD. The folks at MRC were very helpful and I am very happy with their product. I feel for the money I go a great deal on exactly what I wanted. I also built a 350 Rem Mag on one of their actions and it's a killer. Very happy with their product. As far as weight, I don't mind. Soaks up a little recoil.
Saw a LH Montana Rifle ASR in .308 for sale in a local gun shop a few years ago. It was priced far below what they seem to go for now days ... less than $600. It might have been used, but looked new to me as I handled it off the rack. I agree with Jim in Idaho, it felt a little on the heavy side although that weight is mostly in the action so balances OK. I didn't quite care for the fluted fore stock but I was a little tempted at that price.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Saw a LH Montana Rifle ASR in .308 for sale in a local gun shop a few years ago. It was priced far below what they seem to go for now days ... less than $600. It might have been used, but looked new to me as I handled it off the rack. I agree with Jim in Idaho, it felt a little on the heavy side although that weight is mostly in the action so balances OK. I didn't quite care for the fluted fore stock but I was a little tempted at that price.

For $600, I would have had to grab it. The action alone is worth $800 +/-.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 10/17/17
I got into the MCR thing when they were just starting out. Ordered one of their first LH short action barrel/receiver groups back when you sent them your money then had to wait about a year to get it. Sort of their start up money.
When they were ready to ship it to me I had them send it across town to Serengetti Stock Co where it was fitted to their then new laminated AA Claro stock made to my specification . Mine came as a 358, MCR polished the action and bore, squared the receiver to the barrel and gave it a deep blue finish.
Excellent rifle but they made the barrel a little to heavy for me. Years latter I had it re-barreled to a 308. It's my rifle of choice when I head into the woods each fall.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RGK Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 10/19/17
Originally Posted by jbmi
I got into the MCR thing when they were just starting out. Ordered one of their first LH short action barrel/receiver groups back when you sent them your money then had to wait about a year to get it. Sort of their start up money.
When they were ready to ship it to me I had them send it across town to Serengetti Stock Co where it was fitted to their then new laminated AA Claro stock made to my specification . Mine came as a 358, MCR polished the action and bore, squared the receiver to the barrel and gave it a deep blue finish.
Excellent rifle but they made the barrel a little to heavy for me. Years latter I had it re-barreled to a 308. It's my rifle of choice when I head into the woods each fall.
[Linked Image]

I could live with that, except maybe in .30-06. Gorgeous! I have an X2 that I'm becoming attached to.
Bob
Posted By: Tejano Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 10/19/17
JBMI beautiful rifle. I talked with someone at Serengetti and they told me they usually completely re-work the MCR action by surface grinding and then adding lightening flutes like the Mauser Mt. actions. The gunsmith said he knocked almost a half pound off of his personal rifle a feather weight .358 W. Would like to see that one.

MCR is looking pretty good now that the Winchester Lefties have gotten so high.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 11/02/17
I've got an X2 in 264 win mag that shoots lights out. very good guns, little heavy but they work.
Posted By: C185 Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 12/20/17
Well after a 9 month wait, my X2 in 264 win mag finally showed up. The gun looks to be well built, but the action is rough. Sort of disappointed. I cleaned and lubed it up and cycled the bolt several hundred times, it seems better. But for the money I would expect more.
Hope it shoots I wont buy another!
Originally Posted by C185
Well after a 9 month wait, my X2 in 264 win mag finally showed up. The gun looks to be well built, but the action is rough. Sort of disappointed. I cleaned and lubed it up and cycled the bolt several hundred times, it seems better. But for the money I would expect more.

As noted in another thread, I have two LH MRC X2 rifles from the two group buys. Easily the two smoothest actions I own. Just picked up a raw LH MRC action for a project. Older action (2003 time frame maybe?). Anyhoo, as you stated, rough. Have about 700 to 800 cycles on the bolt, with and without the firing pin. Has smoothed up significantly. But still not where I want it to be. It is going to be a custom build, so, "smoothing action" will be one of the items on the build list.

Anyone familiar with why the MRC action "smoothness" quality would be up and down ? I can understand the early actions during start up mode. However, surprised that current production actions would have an issue after they have had a period of really good smooth actions two to three years ago ?
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 12/22/17
i received my asr lh 308 back in spring it is very smooth
Posted By: TheDude Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 12/23/17
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Anyone familiar with why the MRC action "smoothness" quality would be up and down ? I can understand the early actions during start up mode. However, surprised that current production actions would have an issue after they have had a period of really good smooth actions two to three years ago ?

The actions are cast and then hand fitted and finished by MRC. Many hands in the pot throughout production. QC is done at all phases by department leads and also the gunsmiths who disassemble and re-assemble the gun several times throughout the production life cycle. Then final bedding and function testing by one of the 5 or 6 gunsmiths they have, so it depends on which one you get for final inspection, who did the original mating of the bolt to the action, how backlogged they are at the moment (i.e. pressed for time) etc...

Some actions come out like glass, others are on the other end of the spectrum but somehow get passed and sent over to shipping.
Originally Posted by TheDude
Originally Posted by Orion2000

The actions are cast and then hand fitted and finished by MRC. Many hands in the pot throughout production. QC is done at all phases by department leads and also the gunsmiths who disassemble and re-assemble the gun several times throughout the production life cycle. Then final bedding and function testing by one of the 5 or 6 gunsmiths they have, so it depends on which one you get for final inspection, who did the original mating of the bolt to the action, how backlogged they are at the moment (i.e. pressed for time) etc...

Some actions come out like glass, others are on the other end of the spectrum but somehow get passed and sent over to shipping.

Appreciate your time to respond. I understand...
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Montana Rifles still open? - 12/24/17
I have 2, one is better than a winchester, but what I would call average (stainless) the other is too smooth, almost to where I'm worried about it locking up appropriately... slick as whale snot on an iceburg... that one is blued... smoother finish on the metal for sure...
© 24hourcampfire