Home
Posted By: tmitch P.O. Ackley LH M70? - 04/27/19
Looking through the Cabelas Gun Library web site I see they have an interesting M70 with "PO Ackley" marked on the barrel. Would PO have done the left hand conversion like this? It's tempting at $800, might have to take a closer look.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: P.O. Ackley LH M70? - 04/27/19
Noticed that as well. Given that only the barrel appears to be stamped PO Ackley, possible that someone else did the conversion? Not real keen on the extended safety wing. I can manipulate a normal RH M70 3 position safety relatively easily with my left hand. No need for extension.
Posted By: tmitch Re: P.O. Ackley LH M70? - 04/28/19
Yeah the safety does look a bit overdone, but it's a pre-war (1939) action and the safety woulda been the flag style that sticks up. Maybe too close to the scope bell? Also it works "backwards", i.e. forward is safe, rear is fire. Not sure how using that type would work left handed as I've never handled one. Easy enough to replace with an original, there's several on ebay.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: P.O. Ackley LH M70? - 05/09/19
Scary for me shooting it LH with right side of the face exposed to potential gas relief. But its your face!
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: P.O. Ackley LH M70? - 05/09/19
I've not worried too much about shooting RH guns from the left. First off, I don't shoot the volume per year like some folks do. Second, I mostly shoot my own handloads. Typically start with a middling powder charge, and then work up. Generally find an accuracy node well before I get close to max, and stop.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: P.O. Ackley LH M70? - 05/09/19
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Scary for me shooting it LH with right side of the face exposed to potential gas relief. But its your face!

Same for me. Stuff happens, mud, dirt, tree branch, etc. One day I went to use a .22 and like always checked to see if it was loaded. It wasnt but the barrel was packed full by mud daubers. Checked another 22 in the workshop and same thing.
You just never know.
Posted By: tmitch Re: P.O. Ackley LH M70? - 06/08/19
I see this is back up for sale. If any of you are considering it, PM me, I've had it in hand
Posted By: RGK Re: P.O. Ackley LH M70? - 06/10/19
That might be a Barber conversion...Charlie Askins was big on them in the late '60's. He had several rifles converted.
Bob
Posted By: tmitch Re: P.O. Ackley LH M70? - 06/10/19
Couldn't say but pretty confident Askins wouldn't have accepted this one.
© 24hourcampfire