Home
Posted By: scottf270 Factory weights - 01/22/20
What is the lightest factory rifle that's readily available. I see weights listed all over the place. I know some actions run heavier than others but listed weights make no sense sometimes. A Savage Compact is listed over 7 lbs. Even the Rem 700 youth is listed at 7 lbs. I know about the scarce Fieldcrafts but they are not exactly over the counter. If you have actual weights of say a Ruger American, Tikka, etc please share. I'm trying to put a sheep rifle together.
Posted By: Muskrat2090 Re: Factory weights - 01/22/20
You will most likely need to head towards Kimber. I have a Kimber Montana in 7mm08 that weighs 5lbs 14oz with a 6x leupold in Talley lightweights, not my lightest Kimber but sure handles nice.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Factory weights - 01/22/20
Thanks but needs to be a lefty.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Factory weights - 01/22/20
Tikka SuperLite will likely be your best bet for a production LH LW.
Posted By: broomd Re: Factory weights - 01/22/20
yep, TIkka.

Put the word out for a Forbes, the 20B is a joy to carry at 5lbs+ scoped and they shoot.

Dare I say, poor man's NULA.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Factory weights - 01/22/20
Originally Posted by broomd
yep, TIkka.

Put the word out for a Forbes, the 20B is a joy to carry at 5lbs+ scoped and they shoot.

Dare I say, poor man's NULA.

I need to find one of those. A LH SA donor would be grand, but they aren't common at all up here.
Posted By: ammoman16 Re: Factory weights - 01/22/20
Originally Posted by scottf270
What is the lightest factory rifle that's readily available. I see weights listed all over the place. I know some actions run heavier than others but listed weights make no sense sometimes. A Savage Compact is listed over 7 lbs. Even the Rem 700 youth is listed at 7 lbs. I know about the scarce Fieldcrafts but they are not exactly over the counter. If you have actual weights of say a Ruger American, Tikka, etc please share. I'm trying to put a sheep rifle together.

What LH Fieldcrafts are you talking about?
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Factory weights - 01/22/20
I meant Forbes.....sorry
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Factory weights - 01/22/20
Cooper backcountry weighs 5.75 pounds according to Cooper. To get any lighter than the Cooper my guess is you need to go custom or buy a Rem SA, light stock, small contour barrel and have a smith put it together.
Posted By: ammoman16 Re: Factory weights - 01/22/20
Originally Posted by scottf270
I meant Forbes.....sorry

I was really hoping you knew something I didn't.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Factory weights - 02/03/20
To get any lighter than the Tikka will get expensive. A Tianium action will get you to the 5 lb. range. I have seen a few Forbes rifles go for a reasonable price so always a chnce for one to come up for sale. I like mine a lot and just never warmed up to the Tikka because of plastic parts and stock design.
Posted By: broomd Re: Factory weights - 02/03/20
Originally Posted by Tejano
.... just never warmed up to the Tikka because of plastic parts and stock design.

Agreed. Can't bite for those same reasons.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Factory weights - 02/03/20
Christensen Arms has the Ridgeline Titanium, but that one would be about the last one on my list if I was in that situation. I'd first look at Cooper, by finding a stocking dealer and trying one out.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Factory weights - 02/08/20
Because OP did not mention plastic aversion, Tikka and RAR top the list. Personally, my fascination with 5 lb rifles has ended.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Factory weights - 02/09/20
Bought a LH Forbes 06 going to have Melvin rebarrel it to 280 AI it, weighs around 6# they use a #2 barrel. About 1# heavier than the Short Action Forbes. Balance is perfect hold like a heavier rifle. For an affordable LW LH rifle tough to beat a Forbes. IMHO
© 24hourcampfire