Home
Posted By: AKwolverine LH KS 280 - 04/02/20
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863775130

No affiliation.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: LH KS 280 - 04/02/20
Curious to see how this one sells. IIRC, there was a LH 280 KS on GI a few weeks ago that sold same day / next day as posted...
Posted By: kk alaska Re: LH KS 280 - 04/02/20
My LH KS 24" 280 had matte Blue, matte blue bolt and C prefix serial number?
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: LH KS 280 - 04/02/20
It’s an early one. BP stock.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: LH KS 280 - 04/02/20
If it was a right hand I would have already bid on it.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: LH KS 280 - 04/02/20
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
It’s an early one. BP stock.

Jeweled bolt and gloss finish metal............damn sweet gun.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: LH KS 280 - 04/02/20
Originally Posted by woods_walker
If it was a right hand I would have already bid on it.

One was listed on Gunsinternational last week. Early BP stocked and minty, It was listed at $1200.

I choked and it was gone the next day.
Posted By: ejo Re: LH KS 280 - 04/02/20
Are these rifles really that nice? What do you like about them?
Posted By: kk alaska Re: LH KS 280 - 04/03/20
Ejo

Custom shop rifle when Rem was putting out good products, barrel profile, the stock fit is great and LH in 280! New close to a grand or over in early 80,s. I sold my LH KS 280 Matte finish better shape for $1150 shipped Dec 2019.
Posted By: Steve_in_OR Re: LH KS 280 - 04/03/20
Unless the pictures make it look worse than it really is, I'm put off by the "excellent condition" description. I would say "very good condition for it's age" with some honest use, etc. None the less, I can remember looking at one of these new in the rack back in the late '80s and realize that rifle would have taken care of all my big game hunting and saved me a lot of money. Kind of a "Holy Grail" rifle for me but wouldn't bite at that price.
Steve
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: LH KS 280 - 04/03/20
Originally Posted by ejo
Are these rifles really that nice? What do you like about them?

Good overall balance, weight, ergos, accuracy. I have a matte blue version in .270 Win. It will become my only CF rifle in the near future...
Posted By: ejo Re: LH KS 280 - 04/04/20
Thanks for the info guys. I will have to try one after I get done reducing my rifle collection smile. So far it's been, sell two, buy one so taking a little longer than it should.
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: LH KS 280 - 04/05/20
What do you gents think the VariX-III is worth?

All these talks of thinning the rifle herds bum me a little, as I get closer to ancient.

I have 5 sons....2 are full lefties. I only shoot left side.

Like picking teams at the playground, they can pick from the herd, one pick each round, til all gone (after I am).

They already have many of them.

They can thin if they’d like....as most wouldn’t be considered heirloom anyway.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: LH KS 280 - 04/05/20
Since nobody else answered, I'll say $250-$300 for the glass.
Posted By: Jackie_Treehorn Re: LH KS 280 - 04/06/20
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
That's pretty generous. A comparable VX-3i can be had for around $375 new with the various sales and discounts floating around, a good used VX-3 will go for roughly $325, and a VX-III will fetch just under $300. A specialty reticle (target dot, CPC, B&C, mildot, etc.) will push the price up a little. This scope with its obvious wear and Leupold's attitude towards obsolescence and refusal to upgrade them I would only value at $200. Even then I wouldn't be particularly interested in that as part of the package.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: LH KS 280 - 04/06/20
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
That's pretty generous. A comparable VX-3i can be had for around $375 new with the various sales and discounts floating around, a good used VX-3 will go for roughly $325, and a VX-III will fetch just under $300. A specialty reticle (target dot, CPC, B&C, mildot, etc.) will push the price up a little. This scope with its obvious wear and Leupold's attitude towards obsolescence and refusal to upgrade them I would only value at $200. Even then I wouldn't be particularly interested in that as part of the package.

I guess you should have answered prior to me? smile

Show me some $200 2.5x8 Leupold glass..........

In a Vari-XIII? Look around. Auction site jackasses don't count. If you think a 17+ year-old-obviously-worn-scope-that-is-easily-OUTCLASSED-and-Leupold-says-they-won't-upgrade is "worth" $300, then get off your ass any pony up some cash, because talk is cheap. I just recently -- as in LESS THAN A MONTH AGO -- bought a new VX-3i 2.5x8 from Cameraland for the princely sum of $369.99 on sale and I've also bought a few VX-3 and VX-III 2.5x8s over the past 18 months for $250 to $300 that didn't look as tired as that dog, so why in the hell would I assign a value of $300 on that heap? The whole damned package is overdescribed and overpriced. As Big Stick would say, "congratulations?"
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: LH KS 280 - 04/06/20

In a Vari-XIII? Look around. Auction site jackasses don't count. If you think a 17+ year-old-obviously-worn-scope-that-is-easily-OUTCLASSED-and-Leupold-says-they-won't-upgrade is "worth" $300, then get off your ass any pony up some cash, because talk is cheap. I just recently -- as in LESS THAN A MONTH AGO -- bought a new VX-3i 2.5x8 from Cameraland for the princely sum of $369.99 on sale and I've also bought a few VX-3 and VX-III 2.5x8s over the past 18 months for $250 to $300 that didn't look as tired as that dog, so why in the hell would I assign a value of $300 on that heap? The whole damned package is overdescribed and overpriced. As Big Stick would say, "congratulations?"

I must have missed the second coming of Bricktop.....I'll watch for your posts, they are quite entertaining.

I must have missed the second coming of Bricktop.....I'll watch for your posts, they are quite entertaining.
What makes you think a Vari-XIII is worth 80% of a new VX-3i or nearly the same as a VX-III or VX-3? The scope has obvious wear (just like the rifle), has lower quality glass and components compared to the scopes that superseded it, and Leupold now says they'll no longer upgrade them to accept Alumina accessories. Its real value is around $200 by itself.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: LH KS 280 - 04/07/20

What makes you think a Vari-XIII is worth 80% of a new VX-3i or nearly the same as a VX-III or VX-3? The scope has obvious wear (just like the rifle), has lower quality glass and components compared to the scopes that superseded it, and Leupold now says they'll no longer upgrade them to accept Alumina accessories. Its real value is around $200 by itself.

You put a lot of effort into a $50 (low end of course) difference in opinions. LOL

It'll be interesting to see what the package sells for. A rifle and glass of that vintage should show some use, better to be used than a safe queen in my opinion.
Posted By: Jackie_Treehorn Re: LH KS 280 - 04/08/20

You put a lot of effort into a $50 (low end of course) difference in opinions. LOL
No effort nor difference of opinion. For reference, a VX-3 2.5x8 just sold for $275 HERE, which means no one with any sense is going to value an older version of that scope -- WHICH LEUPOLD SAYS THEY WILL NO LONGER UPGRADE -- at $300. I subscribe to reality, you subscribe to fantasy. "Lawl."

Originally Posted by Mr. Fantasy
It'll be interesting to see what the package sells for. A rifle and glass of that vintage should show some use, better to be used than a safe queen in my opinion.
It's not selling at the overly optimistic price, because, you know, it's over-described (it's neither "excellent condition" nor in "98% condition") and overpriced. None of the usual crowd of knuckleheads pontificating pricing has the nuts nor the checkbook to close the deal. I think the package is worth $850, all said and done. I'd dump that scope and consider it a win to get $175 from a cash buyer.
Posted By: Steve_in_OR Re: LH KS 280 - 04/08/20
I don't know if I really want to do this, but I have to agree with JT's monetary assessment of this sale.
Steve
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: LH KS 280 - 04/08/20

No effort nor difference of opinion. For reference, a VX-3 2.5x8 just sold for $275 HERE, which means no one with any sense is going to value an older version of that scope -- WHICH LEUPOLD SAYS THEY WILL NO LONGER UPGRADE -- at $300. I subscribe to reality, you subscribe to fantasy. "Lawl."

Originally Posted by Mr. Fantasy
It's not selling at the overly optimistic price, because, you know, it's over-described (it's neither "excellent condition" nor in "98% condition") and overpriced. None of the usual crowd of knuckleheads pontificating pricing has the nuts nor the checkbook to close the deal. I think the package is worth $850, all said and done. I'd dump that scope and consider it a win to get $175 from a cash buyer.

Thank you Mr. Shoehorn.......
Posted By: Jackie_Treehorn Re: LH KS 280 - 04/08/20
Originally Posted by Steve_in_OR
I don't know if I really want to do this, but I have to agree with JT's monetary assessment of this sale.
Steve
The seller claims in the description that "The rifle is all original and in Excellent condition." when there's fairly obvious wear to most metal surfaces and the stock finish, then he goes on to state "Bore is very nice, as is all metal work." and "98%+ blue finish remains on all metal." when there's some fairly obvious muzzle wear. And then bizarrely "It's been out and about, but is in excellent hunting condition!" I've seen a lot of beat up SKSs, Winchester 94s, Marlin 336s, etc. that could qualify for "excellent hunting condition," whatever in the hell that is. Also take note of the inspection/return policy: AS IS - No refund or exchange.

I'm not taking a pig in a poke to the tune of $1155 for the rifle, old technology scope that Leupold won't support, shipping, and transfer fee on that thing. $850 is all I would go for EVERYTHING and feel comfortable. The gun by itself is worth between $600 and $700 in its present condition.
Posted By: Steve_in_OR Re: LH KS 280 - 04/08/20
When the seller is off on his rating of the condition, it makes you wonder what else is BS. If this was on the rack of reputable dealer, I'd be interested at $850. At $1150 or up it would stay behind.
Steve
Posted By: Tejano Re: LH KS 280 - 04/10/20
Only thing about the scope is that it is gloss finish, not sure if anyone still makes scopes in gloss anymore at least the brands I am interested in.
Posted By: HUNTNFISH Re: LH KS 280 - 04/15/20
Looks like this rifle sold for $1150.00 last night on GB.Only 3 bids.
Posted By: Jackie_Treehorn Re: LH KS 280 - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by HUNTNFISH
Looks like this rifle sold for $1150.00 last night on GB.Only 3 bids.
A combination of boredom and stimulus money helped.
© 24hourcampfire