Home
Posted By: luv2safari New Coyote Gun - 02/27/21
I already have one of these, but this one was too nice to pass up. It's a Valmet BBF 12/222 in super condition. The bores are perfect, the bluing 99%, and the wood has only two minor nicks on the bottom edge of the butt stock.

I had a set of Leupold medium mounts for a Sako and stuck a 4X33 P&CH "junk" scope I took off a Husqvarna FN 98 in 8X57 I had to buy. blush The scope is Japanese, branded only with a "V" on a cap, but it is crystal clear, and the clicks mean 1/4" at 100 every click, plus it holds zero. I shot some 12ga ammo through the gun to see what the scope would do.

Over the hood of the Jeep YJ I shot two ea three shot groups at 100 yards, both were 1". I used Fiocchi 50gr Z-Max ammo, good factory boooolets for this little combo. I'll try some Remington 2 3/4" reduced recoil slugs in it as soon as I find where the h@ll I stashed them.

I'm going to work up a load for this and the other one, using 64gr Nosler Bonded bullets. They have stubby noses that should help stabilize them and be good deer killers.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New Coyote Gun - 02/27/21
Nice Buddy!
Posted By: MT_DD_FAN Re: New Coyote Gun - 02/27/21
Nice Bruce! Looking forward to future reports on this combo gun.
Posted By: Mesa Re: New Coyote Gun - 02/27/21
Bruce, you may remember that I have the brother of your new pet (except mine is prettier!). I kept it when I downsized my "collection" and traded you my .308/12 ga for a Savage single shot. So far I've recently only had the opportunity to use it for small varmints and quail (but I carry 12 ga slugs in case I run across a wild piggie). Hope you have as much fun with it as I have had with mine. The rifle barrels on these Valmet combos are dead nuts accurate!

I make bismuth #7 "spreader" loads for the 12 for quail hunting--don't want to alter the Finnish choke.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: New Coyote Gun - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by Mesa
Bruce, you may remember that I have the brother of your new pet (except mine is prettier!). I kept it when I downsized my "collection" and traded you my .308/12 ga for a Savage single shot. So far I've recently only had the opportunity to use it for small varmints and quail (but I carry 12 ga slugs in case I run across a wild piggie). Hope you have as much fun with it as I have had with mine. The rifle barrels on these Valmet combos are dead nuts accurate!

I make bismuth #7 "spreader" loads for the 12 for quail hunting--don't want to alter the Finnish choke.

I sure do remember! I love the 2400 and won't part with it. The stock is too nice to bugger up, so I put the barrels on a pre-buggered stock/receiver when I go hunting in rough country. I topped it with a 2.5-8 Loopy VXIII. You and I have done a few good deals, and I was always happy with the outcome. wink

My grandson took a nice mulie buck with it, using rifled slugs on a NV ranch in a valley where slugs are mandatory on cultivated lands.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: pete53 Re: New Coyote Gun - 02/27/21
very nice rifle ,Pete53
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: New Coyote Gun - 02/28/21
Beautiful rifle, Bruce!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: New Coyote Gun - 02/28/21
Thanks Pete and Jim.

It shoots better than it looks, too. They might be a little heavy, but these Valmets shoot very well.

The 12/222 is exceeding my expectations, which were pretty high.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: New Coyote Gun - 02/28/21
Trust you to hunt with class.
© 24hourcampfire