Home
Posted By: luv2safari Pulled the Trigger - 07/18/22
I can't turn it down.

Trumpf Primus 16/16/7X57R with complete mounts for later Zeiss rail scopes, but no scope. Has 22 Hornet full einstecklauf.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Blackfly1 Re: Pulled the Trigger - 07/18/22
NICE!
I was wondering if that followed you home. Not only beautiful but about as versatile as a single gun can be.
Enjoy,
Bfly
Posted By: erich Re: Pulled the Trigger - 07/18/22
That is nice.
Posted By: MT_DD_FAN Re: Pulled the Trigger - 07/18/22
Bruce-
It's a disease for which there is no cure....
Enjoy it!!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Pulled the Trigger - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Bruce-
It's a disease for which there is no cure....
Enjoy it!!

It's been chronic with me for 63 years. sick sick
Posted By: brayhaven Re: Pulled the Trigger - 07/20/22
Nice engraving. I tried to learn engraving early in my gunsmithing careeer and was coached by one of the best engravers I’ve ever seen. Finally just gave up. But it gave me an understanding and appreciation of good engraving.
A lot of the game scene work on German guns isn’t very good with the critters looking like caricatures. I’d rather have no engraving or light scrollwork than poor game scene.
This one is very well done from what I can see.
Is it muzzle heavy with the einstecklauf in?
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Pulled the Trigger - 07/21/22
Originally Posted by brayhaven
Nice engraving. I tried to learn engraving early in my gunsmithing careeer and was coached by one of the best engravers I’ve ever seen. Finally just gave up. But it gave me an understanding and appreciation of good engraving.
A lot of the game scene work on German guns isn’t very good with the critters looking like caricatures. I’d rather have no engraving or light scrollwork than poor game scene.
This one is very well done from what I can see.
Is it muzzle heavy with the einstecklauf in?

Nailed it Bray!

There were a lot of great gun-makers who could join three barrels together, all shooting where they should, and set them into a receiver on face, then build all the small parts a combo gun's engineering requires That Couldn't carve their initials into a big oak tree so's you could read them.

I've seen cartoon characters scratched into receivers of excellent drillings many times.
Posted By: brayhaven Re: Pulled the Trigger - 07/21/22
I wonder if Krieghoff farmed out the high end guns (engraving). Most of the Neptunes I’ve examined were well done.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Pulled the Trigger - 07/21/22
Merkel sure should farm out theirs. They have touted master engravers who make rhino, lions, and elephants look like vintage Disney cartoons.

Neptunes are in an altogether different league, IMO.
Posted By: brayhaven Re: Pulled the Trigger - 07/21/22
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Merkel sure should farm out theirs. They have touted master engravers who make rhino, lions, and elephants look like vintage Disney cartoons.

Neptunes are in an altogether different league, IMO.
Yes, mine too.
I’ve seen some Merkel that were as you say, but have seen sone that were good .I love the older Merkel combo and had a shipment from germany with several in it some years back. I chose one with very basic scroll engraving over the others with elaborate game scenes, because it was well done. Still my favorite combo gun with an extra set of 16 barrels that I shoot quite a bit.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: metricman Re: Pulled the Trigger - 07/26/22
that is quite something
wishing you many years of enjoyment
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Pulled the Trigger - 08/07/22
Originally Posted by metricman
that is quite something
wishing you many years of enjoyment

Many thanks. I've been looking for a 7X57R insert for it to make it a DR drilling.

I just now came back here to look at brayhaven's deer/drilling photo again. I always like seeing it posted.
© 24hourcampfire