Home
Posted By: Big_Redhead How do you say "drilling?" - 05/07/14
Many say "DRILL-ling." I say "DRY-ling." Drei is German for three. The word "dreiling" (drilling?) refers to a 3-barreled gun in German, among other things. A 2-barreled gun is a "zweiling" (ZVI-ling), with the word "zwei" being German for "two", and a 4-barreled gun is a "vierling" (FEAR-ling), with the word "vier" being German for "four."

How do you say it?
My friend who is a masterforester for the German city of Cologne says "drill-ing" so that is the pronunciation that I use also.
I say drill-ing and fear-ling. I always wanted a vierling and came close twice. I also came close to marrying an heiress.

Now, I'm too old to care.

but I still want a vierling! laugh
I grew up in PA Dutch country on the edge of the mountains. I had a pretty strong Dutch accent with an Appalachian twang. It was so bad that when I was in college I was often asked what country I was from. It took a lot of speech classes to get my English to it's current sorry state, and my wife tells me that she needs to keep me away from my old friends, or I revert to type.
We get our V's and W's mixed and our CH's and J's backwards and forwards and put our words in backwards order. Some of the sounds are a bit hard to put on paper. For me it's drill-ing. Vierling starts out somewhere between a v and an f sound.
But I don't say many words right.
Bfly
Posted By: erich Re: How do you say "drilling?" - 05/20/14
I grew up in Milvauga (Milwakee). No one laughed when some one would say "Thrown me down the stairs my book" or "Throw the horse over the fence some hay" and understood exactly what you meant.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: How do you say "drilling?" - 05/21/14
Drillin'

It's a Southern thing.
Be careful Hogeye, there are those on the forum who cannot tolerate colloquial expressionism! LOL!

Big Redhead,

Germans don't pronounce it dry-ling, or at least the Germans I've talked to about guns haven't. It isn't exactly drilling, either, but more like the English "trilling." Of course, German pronunciation varies in different regions, just like American English.

Originally Posted by erich
I grew up in Milvauga (Milwakee). No one laughed when some one would say "Thrown me down the stairs my book" or "Throw the horse over the fence some hay" and understood exactly what you meant.

lordy lordy! I haven't heard those since I was a kid.
Posted By: BuzzB Re: How do you say "drilling?" - 05/24/14
It is pronounced DRILLing
Posted By: Ready Re: How do you say "drilling?" - 06/01/14
Like "drilling" without the tschoo tschoo sound you yanks so.

Take out the gum and articulate.

Use the word "krill" for practice - the plankton biomass whales feast on.

First step: "kill" than add the "r" without any extraordninars vocal side effects.

krill, krill, krill...

then swap the "k" for the "d" without any other change.

While I am at it, let me try to explain how the color "blue" smells...

(satire and no harm intended)
Posted By: Dons1 Re: How do you say "drilling?" - 06/12/14
If a German pronounced it, likely it would come out "drillink".
Pronounced by a wealthy and high bred Yankee it would be
"drah-ling". If you want to show some class and impress someone at a gun show the later pronunciation is suggested.
I'd get a nosebleed. grin
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: How do you say "drilling?" - 07/07/14
Drilling is something that ya do with a lectric drill.

The object of this thread is a 3 barrel shootgunrifle.

So there ya have it.

Mike
Originally Posted by BuzzB
It is pronounced DRILLing

Du hast recht, nat�rlich.
Posted By: 700LH Re: How do you say "drilling?" - 07/12/14
Take your choice

http://www.forvo.com/word/drilling/#en
Posted By: rem141r Re: How do you say "drilling?" - 07/26/14
i don't know but i do know that a 54 barrel gun is called a vier und funfzig
Bud.

P