Home
Posted By: auk1124 "Mice Plague?" - 05/30/21
Is it typical media horseshit, or is it true that mice are running rampant over parts of Australia? The US media is reporting that swarms of mice are creating havoc in sections of your country, but we can't believe much of anything those Commie twats tell us.

If true, what is causing mice to be such a big problem?
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: "Mice Plague?" - 05/30/21
Yes there is a mouse plague currently in the central west region of New South Wales. It happens periodically (every ten years or so?).
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: "Mice Plague?" - 05/31/21
Which is worse, the mice plague or spider season? I'm not sure I could handle waking up to the landscape covered in spiderwebs. Or is that how the wildfires started?
Posted By: viking Re: "Mice Plague?" - 05/31/21
Ya need more cats🤪
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: "Mice Plague?" - 05/31/21
Originally Posted by viking
Ya need more cats🤪

😬
Posted By: auk1124 Re: "Mice Plague?" - 05/31/21
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Yes there is a mouse plague currently in the central west region of New South Wales. It happens periodically (every ten years or so?).

Jesus, I figured with crocodiles and poisonous snakes laying in piles down there and spiders the size of Yorkshire terriers crawling around, a mouse wouldn't stand a chance. Y'all must have some tough-assed mice.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: "Mice Plague?" - 05/31/21
We've had fire, flood, plague, locusts, toads and now mice, Might be time to sprinkle the blood of a young goat on the doorposts...
Posted By: viking Re: "Mice Plague?" - 05/31/21
For sure
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: "Mice Plague?" - 05/31/21
Dan oz: I hope you will fare well in this bout of troubles and bad luck!
I have always admired Australians and their country.
Australia is on my bucket list and hopefully once this wuhan red death diminishes travel will resume.
My next door neighbor here in SW Montana owns several homes around the world including one in Australia that he would visit/live in during the "winter" season down under.
He has not been there in nearly two years now.
Anyway stay safe.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: GrouseChaser Re: "Mice Plague?" - 07/05/21
Most of the time when you introduce a new species to a foreign land they experience either rapid failure to extinction or tremendous population spikes.
Rats, mice, cats, rabbits, toads, sheep... Australia has had plagues of all these "new" species.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: "Mice Plague?" - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by viking
Ya need more cats🤪

My first thought as well 😀
Posted By: colodog Re: "Mice Plague?" - 07/28/21
Feral cats are a plague all by themselves and a non native invasive species...
Posted By: dan_oz Re: "Mice Plague?" - 07/29/21
Originally Posted by colodog
Feral cats are a plague all by themselves and a non native invasive species...

Yes, a cure as bad as the problem. If only we could train those moggies to focus on the mice, and leave all the native wildlife alone.
Posted By: DocEd Re: "Mice Plague?" - 07/29/21
https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/pdf/hps_brochure.pdf
Posted By: 1minute Re: "Mice Plague?" - 07/29/21
Quite common down there.
Posted By: 338SakoDeluxe Re: "Mice Plague?" - 08/03/21
I bet mice are really bad but I'm plagued with SOB Commie rat liberal bastards in the US. there's not enough rat poison to take care of them.
Posted By: 416RigbyHunter Re: "Mice Plague?" - 08/04/21
The mice plague is rampant on the whole of the east coast here, there is also a rat plague as well.
We got mice eating through the plaster board in the walls, the couches and anything else with food crumbs around.
Destructive little SOB’s.

Cheers.
Posted By: iskra Re: "Mice Plague?" - 08/09/21
We seem to have a lot of mice here in SoCal coastal! Worst, our environmental laws now prohibit most of the several effective mouse poisons due to "food chain" problems. Mice die of effective poisons and as eaten by larger varmints; which die. Some such, "protected species". I'd suppose we humans would need to add mice to our diet to get any regulatory relielf nowadays. In the meantime, those little furry creatures, continue to multiply and thrive! I've seen occasional neighbor tenting of their homes, presumably mice riddance, possibly 'other'.
A household cat might be helpful but we have several big - maybe cat eater - dogs. Lethal to the Feline species! Mice could bite our dogs in their butts, likely they'd not be disturbed!
Hope we don't get overrun!
But then, statistically nowadays, the mice more likely to get roasted, as California ever increasingly on fire! Good thing we don't have to worry about climate change too! All this just our overactive imaginations! frown

Best!
John
Posted By: erich Re: "Mice Plague?" - 08/10/21
I'm from northern MN and some years it seemed like the whole forest floor would move from all the mice scurrying under the leaves. I had enough problems with mice in my house that I had to string my stretched fur on wires stretched across the fur room. I had a ermine move in and he stayed until you couldn't find a mouse within 100 yards of the place. He even got to the point he would take bits of beaver meat from my hands, we nicknamed him "Herman the Ermine". Surprisingly we never had an infestation of mice in the house like that again.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: "Mice Plague?" - 08/11/21
No doubt they are an effective predator, but stoats (aka ermine) are a massive and devastating environmental pest over the ditch in NZ. At least we don't have them here in Oz.
Posted By: buttstock Re: "Mice Plague?" - 08/15/21
Get a bunch of owls.
Posted By: Elvis Re: "Mice Plague?" - 08/16/21
The gaol (jail) at Wellington in NSW had to be evacuated because of the mice plague. They got into everywhere and caused a major stink and health issue and the whole prison was emptied until it's fixed. Major job to get dead mice out of walls and floors.

As for more cats. No way! Australia is over run with feral cats and foxes. We have the worst species extinction rate in the world with small marsupials and numerous other species close to being wiped out. Cats and foxes (as well as land clearing and bad management) are slowly wiping out our native species.

Cats are Number One on our hit list when out bush.
Posted By: asheepdog Re: "Mice Plague?" - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by 338SakoDeluxe
I bet mice are really bad but I'm plagued with SOB Commie rat liberal bastards in the US. there's not enough rat poison to take care of them.

AMEN BROTHER !!!
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: "Mice Plague?" - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by Elvis
The gaol (jail) at Wellington in NSW had to be evacuated because of the mice plague. They got into everywhere and caused a major stink and health issue and the whole prison was emptied until it's fixed. Major job to get dead mice out of walls and floors.

As for more cats. No way! Australia is over run with feral cats and foxes. We have the worst species extinction rate in the world with small marsupials and numerous other species close to being wiped out. Cats and foxes (as well as land clearing and bad management) are slowly wiping out our native species.

Cats are Number One on our hit list when out bush.

So get more Chinese restaurants.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: "Mice Plague?" - 10/31/21
Do you all have a minimum cartridge requirement for mice? 😁
Posted By: Whelenman Re: "Mice Plague?" - 10/31/21
I think a 6.5 gay Moore would be about right.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: "Mice Plague?" - 10/31/21
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Do you all have a minimum cartridge requirement for mice? 😁

Guessing you haven't seen a mouse plague?

Better to think in terms of "which front-end loader".
© 24hourcampfire