Home
Posted By: OSU_Sig New Zealand Safaris - 06/10/21
A friend of mine is booking a hunt in 2022 with New Zealand Safaris. The PH is Gary Herbert. Does anyone have any knowledge of him or the outfitter?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/10/21
The guy has a good reputation and I know a few people who have used his operation, with positive outcomes. I ended up going with a different outfit but it wasn't because I saw or heard anything bad about Gary.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/10/21
That's good info, thanks T.
Posted By: blairvt Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/10/21
damn I want to do that
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/10/21
I did it in 2014 and would do it again. NZ is a great country and the Kiwi's are wonderful people.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/10/21
We hunted with GH in 2016. His operation is fantastic and the lodge 5 star. We had a trip booked for 2020 but covid prevented and NZ was closed. We have paid the deposit and have spoken to Gary late winter to hopefully go back late July. Problem is NZ. If there is merely one or two cases of coved the PM shuts the country down. Gary has no control over this situation.
We will be attending the SCI convention in LasVegas this coming January. Spoke to Gary about this and his reply was that if he attends and has a booth his operation will be in full swing.
BTW, his lodge on the South Island and surrounding area is drop dead gorgeous. Incredible animals, great food, pick up and drop off, very comfortable and Gary is a true gentleman and darn good outfitter. PM me if you require more information. MTG
Posted By: UPhiker Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/10/21
Who knows when the Wicked Witch of Wellington will open the country up...
Posted By: Caleveras Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/11/21
My hunt in New Zealand is a close second to my experience in Zimbabwe hunting Cape Buffalo. We did it old school with climbing up after Chamois and Tahr. Absolutely great people and beautiful country.

A return trip is in the works.
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/11/21
diy up an eastern valley for two weeks can be done cheaper then what my out of state mule deer hunts run.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/11/21
Originally Posted by MTGunner
We hunted with GH in 2016. His operation is fantastic and the lodge 5 star. We had a trip booked for 2020 but covid prevented and NZ was closed. We have paid the deposit and have spoken to Gary late winter to hopefully go back late July. Problem is NZ. If there is merely one or two cases of coved the PM shuts the country down. Gary has no control over this situation.
We will be attending the SCI convention in LasVegas this coming January. Spoke to Gary about this and his reply was that if he attends and has a booth his operation will be in full swing.
BTW, his lodge on the South Island and surrounding area is drop dead gorgeous. Incredible animals, great food, pick up and drop off, very comfortable and Gary is a true gentleman and darn good outfitter. PM me if you require more information. MTG

Your experience sounds like mine although I used Kiwi Safaris. Excellent accommodations, food and beverage was top shelf and the hunt was memorable. I took a nice Red Stag and Tahr. Would love to go back again.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/12/21
Gary's outfit is first rate. Also, at the end of valley where Gary's lodge is, there's a nice trail and huts you can hike too. The lodge will pack you a basket and drop/pick you up if you want to go for a nice scenic hike. Make sure you spend some time touring the South Island after your hunt. We rented a car (had it delivered to the lodge) and did a 3 or 4 day loop around the island. We did a wine tasting tour out of Queenstown that I highly recommend too.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/14/21
How large is the concession NZ Safaris operates?
Posted By: blairvt Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/14/21
anyone do some trout fishing? The place I was looking at had some huge trout pictures on the websight.
Posted By: zeissman Re: New Zealand Safaris - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Who knows when the Wicked Witch of Wellington will open the country up...

You've got that right. Covid Cindy, the control freak.
Posted By: CarlsenHighway Re: New Zealand Safaris - 07/05/21
You guys must be talking about Stalinda Ardern.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: New Zealand Safaris - 07/05/21
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
You guys must be talking about Stalinda Ardern.

Did you mean Jacinda Ardern? Oh wait, I get it now. It took me a moment.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: New Zealand Safaris - 10/21/21
PM sent. MTG
Posted By: Rocketeer54 Re: New Zealand Safaris - 01/13/22
Cindy our Dear Leader of the hermit kingdom
Posted By: EdM Re: New Zealand Safaris - 01/14/22
After three years of about zero import hunters I don't know how they can survive. Sad as I had plans to hunt there.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: New Zealand Safaris - 01/14/22
Have attempted to contact outfitter that we have a deposit payed but no answer. Granted, he did say he will contact us if he was attending the SCI convention in LasVegas next week. But, nothing so far. I agree that these outfitters in NZ will have a tough go for it in the future to survive. Who knows? Hoping to bring our trip to fruition. MTG
© 24hourcampfire