Home
Posted By: rickt300 Salty's - 07/24/17
I just watched a tv show, a shark week special Sharks versus crocs that appeared to say that the ending of croc hunting has handed much of the north shore to the croc's. That their numbers are so high that the crocs have moved into the ocean and compete with sharks for Green turtles. Seems a bit short sighted to me.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Salty's - 07/24/17
Gee, I wonder who kept the crocs in line 200 years ago before the white man showed up. I'm surprised there's a single turtle left. (sarcasm font)
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Salty's - 07/24/17
Thoughtless from Nevada?
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Salty's - 07/25/17
The natives probably ate more turtles than the salties.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Salty's - 07/26/17
I would the natives kept them in check.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Salty's - 07/27/17
How many natives did the Croc's eat? And just how enjoyable is fishing with Croc's? Or swimming? No predator should be allowed to overcome it's habitat.
Posted By: LowBC Re: Salty's - 08/03/17
Generally no issues in fishing with crocs, just don't be dumb about it. Clean your fish in a different spot each day, don't go jumping off boats to cool down, There are plenty of sharks where the crocs are so you have to watch out for both. Interestingly as we see climate change impacting our coastline and the different species moving further south, the crocs are doing the same.

Much of northern Australia would happily have a cull on crocs, however the politicians typically live in the southern half of Australia and have no idea until another tourist gets chomped for swimming where they shouldn't. Perhaps there should be a politician cull with the crocs ;-)
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Salty's - 08/03/17
Good idea!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Salty's - 08/08/17
Originally Posted by LowBC
Generally no issues in fishing with crocs, just don't be dumb about it. Clean your fish in a different spot each day, don't go jumping off boats to cool down, There are plenty of sharks where the crocs are so you have to watch out for both. Interestingly as we see climate change impacting our coastline and the different species moving further south, the crocs are doing the same.

Much of northern Australia would happily have a cull on crocs, however the politicians typically live in the southern half of Australia and have no idea until another tourist gets chomped for swimming where they shouldn't. Perhaps there should be a politician cull with the crocs ;-)

Yeah, and pray you aint cleaning yer fish where another sucker did the other day.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Salty's - 08/09/17
I wonder if the decline in the reefs will push the crocs to new areas?
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Salty's - 08/12/17
Not sure the reef issues will affect the crocodiles too much. They like to hang around estuarine rivers and such.
Posted By: Ocean_Raider Re: Salty's - 09/25/17
what nonsense, the crocs move into the ocean to see out their twilight years because the competition for food in the estuary is to high

i work at sea out of darwin and have spent plenty of time in the top end on the water, all the crocs i have seen in the ocean are big monsters and the locals (dusky cousins) tell me they go to sea to die.
the biggest predator on turtle populations is feral pigs, the NT and QLD have no hunting on public land you can only hunt on private land, in the national parks pigs run free and the turtle nesting sights are their favourite place for a feed
© 24hourcampfire