Home
Posted By: Cowboybart Kiwi hunting season - 09/16/17
My wife and I are planning a trip to NZ and I was hoping to sneak off for a day or 2 to hunt. What time of year is your hunting season?? Anything that I can get done in 2 days? I don't need a trophy, but something that is not obtainable in North America would be nice.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Kiwi hunting season - 09/16/17
You can hunt year round, there are no hunting seasons. If you only have 2 days, I'd suggest either a hunt for feral goats or pigs on the North Island or you might be able to find somewhere with deer on the south. Thar and chamois would be tough on that tight of a timeframe. You'll love NZ, have a great time!
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Kiwi hunting season - 09/17/17
Good to know info. Goat sounds like fun.
Last time I was there it was in the early '90s in August. I jumped over from Australia to go skiing and beer sampling. Too old for that now so it is bird watching and hunting this trip.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Kiwi hunting season - 09/17/17
North island or South island? Any specific areas you will be in?
Posted By: CarlsenHighway Re: Kiwi hunting season - 09/18/17
You can shoot as many European hares as you like on short notice. Australian possums too.
you will have to be doing a lot of small games.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Kiwi hunting season - 09/19/17
What caliber do you use for them big grapes?
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Kiwi hunting season - 09/20/17

Originally Posted by haverluk

I know I will be in Queenstown (south island) for 4 days or so. Probably 4-5 days on the North Island too - just don't know where yet.

No interest in bunnies - I shoot them off my front porch now.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Kiwi hunting season - 09/20/17
Originally Posted by Cowboybart

Originally Posted by haverluk

I know I will be in Queenstown (south island) for 4 days or so. Probably 4-5 days on the North Island too - just don't know where yet.

Queenstown is a little too white kids with dreadlocks for my taste but you will be able to stir up some adventure sports if you are into that. Make sure you take the gondola over the city. That should not be missed. Wanaka was a hour away and I enjoyed my time that town way more.

I have a buddy that is an outfitter/guide in Dunedin. He could most definitely help you with some stag, deer, pig, goat and arapawa ram in a day or two trip. Tahr and chamois if you have the means to get up the mountain. Mark Allison in Dunedin Mark is an awesome guy and will bend over backwards to accommodate your timelines. Even on short notice. He also has good loner rifles for you to use for your hunt. His prices are great too! My stag is right there on his homepage. Mark has a good taxidermist right there in Dunedin that was very well priced and they work with a good exporter too. Pretty great experience all around.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Kiwi hunting season - 09/20/17
CB

I pm'd you a useful link.

Regards,
L2S
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Kiwi hunting season - 09/20/17
I'm part of a timeshare group that has a place in Queenstown. I'll get 4 nights for $59 at the Hilton Grand Resort. At $15 per night it is hard to pass up.
© 24hourcampfire