Home
Posted By: wabigoon Grain bins? - 11/15/20
We are thinking on a new 36' drying bin, thinking Sukup. Any ideas?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Grain bins? - 11/17/20
I was in the grain business for 28 years, with a major corporation. Been out of the business for 20 years. But I recall these are important factors, thickness of the steel, grade of bolts used to fasten the rings together, spacing of the bolts, and proper torquing of the bolts. Also the bottom several rings are thicker metal. My experience was mostly with bins roughly 40,000-200,000 bushels. And these bins were filled and emptied multiple times per year, which is a stress on them. We used mostly GSI bins. Good luck.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Grain bins? - 11/17/20
Richard, is there any comparison on how different brands fared over this way on August 10th?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Grain bins? - 11/17/20
No idea John.

The above advice is good, a neighbor had a string auger put in a bin not designed for it, the force tore the mounting bolts out, and ripped the bin sheets.
Posted By: crc1514 Re: Grain bins? - 11/18/20
Sukup are fine bins. I have a 36’ that was put up in 2004. I don’t love the mechanism for engaging the power sweep auger, but they’ve probably improved that. We have put up 3 GSI bins recently, they are 42’ and seem to be just fine as well.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Grain bins? - 11/18/20
Thanks CR.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Grain bins? - 11/24/20
We have MFS they are ok
Wish circle was still in buesness
Check with loyd & Mardeth in Atlantic ...they did our last 24k bin and blew away the locals on price and quality
© 24hourcampfire