Home
Posted By: shawlerbrook Black Locust posts - 11/16/20
Was wondering with the price and scarcity of treated 4x4’s if black locust posts made with my chainsaw mill would work for a small shed here in Central NYS.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Black Locust posts - 11/16/20
We used locusts posts for the sheds on our barn. They have been there for about 40 years now, and are still solid as a rock.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Black Locust posts - 11/16/20
I don't know any reason why they would not work.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Black Locust posts - 11/16/20
Thanks for the information. That’s exactly what I thought.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Black Locust posts - 11/16/20
I've seen where the builder "glued and screwed" 3 treated 2 X 6's together to make 6 X 6 posts.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Black Locust posts - 11/16/20
Are they as hard as a hedge post? Can't hardy drive a staple into those.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Black Locust posts - 11/16/20
They'd have to beat the pricy rot off fast posts we get here.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Black Locust posts - 11/16/20
In about1955 or so, we built an add on shed down in back of the house to put our one milk cow in. Sort of a pole barn affair using black locust poles.This was in SW PA. Last time I was back there 5-6 years ago the old shed was about to cave in, but the locust pole addition was still in good shape.

The std pressure treated 4x4's I have used rot off at the ground level in about 20yeras.This new stuff that is rated direct bury might prove to last longer.

With the price of all lumber now days, I would be cutting that black locust darn fast.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Black Locust posts - 11/16/20
Grandparents had a little out building on locust skids set on cinderblocks. It looked old 40 years ago when I was a kid. the skids are still pretty solid. This is in se texas with about 50 inches of rain a year.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Black Locust posts - 11/16/20
i just had a pole bldg put up. they used laminated 6x6's made with the bottom 3-5 feet out of PT 2x6's finger joined and staggered to regular 2x6's and all glued. this will be what i do when i build one. no warping and will never snap.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Black Locust posts - 11/17/20

we use Cedar here.......

they last a L O N G time too
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Black Locust posts - 11/17/20
Red oak posts are like hedge, just bigger.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Black Locust posts - 11/17/20
locust post were the standard for fence post at one time before commercial post were available...should work fine
© 24hourcampfire