Home
Posted By: rockinbbar Sad Ending - 02/20/21
Seen this several times when you get temps dropping low enough to freeze stock tanks over...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not my cow. But a common site here when the thaw starts.

Yesterday while going to the feed store, I saw a downer cow in a pasture. She had a buzzard pecking at her while still alive.

Mother nature is cruel sometimes.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Sad Ending - 02/20/21
Sad for sure Barry, I may have posted a picture of the redone creek crossing we had done. We lost two, or three head in mud.

"Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys."
Posted By: ironbender Re: Sad Ending - 02/20/21
Happens to wildlife too.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Sad Ending - 02/20/21
And people.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Sad Ending - 02/20/21
A farmer down in Tennessee lost his life this week trying to rescue a couple of calves that had gotten out on a pond and broke through the ice. He went through the ice and by the time they got him out it was too late.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Sad Ending - 02/21/21
Yes, it happens every year.

Worst I've seen is 30 cows went through the ice on a big pond 35-40 years ago.

It froze back up and the carcasses were there for weeks until it thawed
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sad Ending - 02/21/21
Knock on wood we lose more to mud than ice.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Sad Ending - 03/03/21
Was just reading the other day about the big herds of bison and loss to drowning. It was a huge factor in the year to year mortality. I want to say something like 10% of the herds would drown on an average year. Millions of animals.

It was a major food source for grizzlies and the reduction in herds had a big impact on the bears numbers and range.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Sad Ending - 03/04/21
This week in our county a big pond thawed enough that they pulled the carcasses out with an airboat and a trackhoe. 59 cows had went through the ice weeks ago. Sad!
Posted By: ldholton Re: Sad Ending - 03/04/21
When something like that happens it's usually a sizable I'm out. One cow walks out ice is stable, two cows walk out then three cows then for cows you get the idea until the ice is no longer Stout enough and then the whole group is gone
Posted By: OldTimeHunter Re: Sad Ending - 03/04/21
could we teach SOME people to do that ?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Sad Ending - 03/05/21
My buddy lost several a couple of weeks ago. Found 3 dead, went home to get a rope to try to drag them out, had a couple more in when he got back. He got them roped and drug out with the truck. Luckily the pond on that place isn’t very deep or the last they’d probably all drown.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Sad Ending - 03/05/21
Lewis and Clark had to dodge thousands of bison coming down the Missiouri in the Spring. They remarked how bad it fouled the water.
© 24hourcampfire