Home
Posted By: 30338 Yuccas can die - 05/02/21
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Hitting them with 1 part Remedy Ultra and 3 parts diesel. Add a little blue dye to keep track of who got whacked in the patch and prepare for a sunburn lol. So far have put down about 16 gallons of spray and things are browning up nicely. Patch right of fence below was sprayed a week ago. Their dead now.
Planning on letting that field grow all summer and doing a late winter burn to clean it up. Lot of yucca carcasses lol.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Yuccas can die - 05/02/21
They're planted here as ornamentals. I have a few growing around the place.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Yuccas can die - 05/03/21
Had quite a few on a ranch I was clearing last summer.

Used the root rake attachment on my loader, and they came right out. Piled them with the brush for burning.

30338, the Remedy and diesel with kill just about anything. wink
Posted By: 30338 Re: Yuccas can die - 05/03/21
Girdling some big locust trees and coating them with it too. So hoping your are correct on that! Kill the yuccas and cleaning up that pasture. Hoping the native stuff grows like crazy.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Yuccas can die - 05/03/21
drill a hole in the tree and fill the hole with copper sulfate..... I got some if you need it...
Posted By: 30338 Re: Yuccas can die - 05/04/21
Thanks Don. I'll check how mine are feeling in June and if still alive, will give you a shout.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Yuccas can die - 05/05/21
Is Remedy the same as cycloplor? I have been using it with diesel or used motor oil to kill mesquite trees and yuccas. Seems to work. Cut up the tree for firewood and pour on the stump to keep it from growing back.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Yuccas can die - 05/05/21
Originally Posted by 45_100
Is Remedy the same as cycloplor? I have been using it with diesel or used motor oil to kill mesquite trees and yuccas. Seems to work. Cut up the tree for firewood and pour on the stump to keep it from growing back.

Remedy is Triclopyr, so it may be the same active ingredient.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Yuccas can die - 05/05/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by 45_100

Remedy is Triclopyr, so it may be the same active ingredient.

I stand corrected. It is Triclopyr not cycloplor. Thank you for that. It does seem to work well and doesn't take a lot.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Yuccas can die - 05/26/21
Going back and forth on Triclopyr and Remedy. Triclopyr was on sale so it gets the call on next few spraying days. Both seem to do the trick nicely though.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Yuccas can die - 05/27/21
Pathway (bulk version of Tordon RTU) works good also for stump treatment and girdling.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Yuccas can die - 05/28/21
Will go check this giant locust next time I am back there. This one got the Triclopyr treatment and girdled. Had a question on why girdling a locust and ones this big I don't feel like felling at the moment. But do feel like killing.
Posted By: pointer Re: Yuccas can die - 05/28/21
Originally Posted by 30338
Will go check this giant locust next time I am back there. This one got the Triclopyr treatment and girdled. Had a question on why girdling a locust and ones this big I don't feel like felling at the moment. But do feel like killing.
Double girdle very rarely doesn't work. Just gotta watch for sprouts below the cuts.

Certain trees I really enjoy killing; junipers, locust, and bradford pear are near the top!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Yuccas can die - 06/14/21
The spray recipe for sure works. Followed up by spraying a few survivors this weekend and started on a new patch. Saw a new fawn, saw a good amount of quail, had a turkey still gobbling, and overall had a great work weekend with my son. Pic of yuccas I sprayed in April.
Posted By: pointer Re: Yuccas can die - 06/21/21
It's great when a plan works as designed!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Yuccas can die - 07/04/21
Killed a few more yuccas last few days. Checked on a few of the locusts. Girdled, sprayed cut with triclopyr and have a dead locust or 12. Tempted to pile up cedars under them and try to burn them standing. Cutting and stacking them is nasty at best.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Yuccas can die - 07/04/21
You need you one of those rigs like rockinbbar has got that goes on the tractor.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Yuccas can die - 07/04/21
Originally Posted by Oldman03
You need you one of those rigs like rockinbbar has got that goes on the tractor.

Pull 'em right out! wink

Been using the puller with my loader quite a bit lately.

This is a 16" oak tree.

Pull, stack and burn.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Yuccas can die - 07/04/21
A lot of good firewood wasted?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Yuccas can die - 07/05/21
We have yuccas in the corner of the yard, previous owner planted them.
In 21 years I haven seen the need to bother them. The hold the bank.

Somebody, power company or neighbor, sprayed them 2 years ago.
Big bastards, they were brown, stone dead.
I was pissed. In my yard no one had good reason to do it.

Come spring. There're baaaack. And as healthy as ever!

I did need to kill ones at the corner of the porch.
Repeated heavy mixed glyphosate did it.
When they come back, hit them quick.
Might take a couple shots.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Yuccas can die - 07/05/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A lot of good firewood wasted?

I'm sure.

Burned 2 huge piles of downed oaks a couple of days ago. Pretty much solid oak trees here, and I don't even have a fireplace... wink

Makes for a good fire though.

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Yuccas can die - 07/05/21
A lot goes to waste here in Iowa as well.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Yuccas can die - 07/05/21
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Pull 'em right out! wink

Been using the puller with my loader quite a bit lately.

This is a 16" oak tree.

Pull, stack and burn.

Dang, you're hired Rockinbar. How long to get that rig to Hays? That is seriously the way to do it. On my small place I'll hack around with a chainsaw during cooler weather is my plan.

Dillonbuck, if you want them for landscaping, seems like a lot do. These are in a pasture that we hope to grow either switchgrass or alfalfa in. Really need them dead and gone. Pretty sure the Triclopyr and diesel is whipping them pretty good.

I'd love to have that oak firewood up here in CO. Its going for $400 a cord here. Guy figured out a way to haul it this way you could possibly make some money but with diesel and labor costs up it may not pay off.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Yuccas can die - 07/05/21

I'd love to have that oak firewood up here in CO. Its going for $400 a cord here. Guy figured out a way to haul it this way you could possibly make some money but with diesel and labor costs up it may not pay off.

My cousin in Amarillo tells me the same thing!

I have a 35' flatbed Gooseneck I could put lots of firewood on, but I doubt the work and round trip would be worth it. wink

Staying pretty busy doing land clearing down here with my loader and puller and grapple.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Yuccas can die - 07/05/21
Wasn't recommending Roundup, as much as just saying
"They are tough SOB's And you might need to keep an eye on them and
re-treat." If it was the electric line guys that hit mine, you know they weren't playing. And the darn things bounced right back.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Yuccas can die - 07/05/21

My cousin in Amarillo tells me the same thing!

I have a 35' flatbed Gooseneck I could put lots of firewood on, but I doubt the work and round trip would be worth it. wink

Staying pretty busy doing land clearing down here with my loader and puller and grapple.

Transporting firewood any distance is illegal many places.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Yuccas can die - 07/05/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Wasn't recommending Roundup, as much as just saying
"They are tough SOB's And you might need to keep an eye on them and
re-treat." If it was the electric line guys that hit mine, you know they weren't playing. And the darn things bounced right back.

Dillon, didn't take it that way but roundup kills the heck out of a lot of stuff. After a lot of online researching it seems the long term kill rate with Remedy Ultra and Triclopyr mixed with diesel is pretty good. I have seen some hills that had 12-18 yuccas in them and after a few months, there will be a new one trying to come up. Not sure if those are survivors or simply coming up from a buried seed. Hoping if I knock em back and get a good crop going they won't out compete it. This is my first yucca rodeo though so guess we'll see soon lol.

Keeps me out of the bars for now anyway.

Wabigoon, good point on crossing state lines with firewood.
© 24hourcampfire