Home
Posted By: wabigoon Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/24/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/24/21
Apiece or a bundle?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/24/21
Apiece Mike.

A corner post , brace, and brace post would come to 90 bucks without brace wire.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/26/21
Zoinks, Scoob!

I’ve got to put in about 1,500’ of boundary fence around the new pond. I don’t even want to know what a mile of barbed is going to cost. Got the posts bought locally, but the wire?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by Dutch
Zoinks, Scoob!

I’ve got to put in about 1,500’ of boundary fence around the new pond. I don’t even want to know what a mile of barbed is going to cost. Got the posts bought locally, but the wire?

Bought a mile of barbed wire the other day and it was about $200.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/26/21
Zoinks, Scoob!

I'm not big on pushing .gov programs but several years back when I put in cross fencing the local NRCS had a program that would reimburse a certain percent if it was for rotational grazing. I was doing it for exactly that and was also fencing around a pond as part of the rotation. The NRCS called the fence around the pond an "exclusion" fence and reimbursed at a higher $ because it helped prevent erosion. Again, I'm not pushing the .gov tit but if you're going to do it anyhow it would be worth looking into.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/26/21
For barbed wire,I 'm using the Bekaet wire until something better comes along.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Dutch Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Zoinks, Scoob!

I'm not big on pushing .gov programs but several years back when I put in cross fencing the local NRCS had a program that would reimburse a certain percent if it was for rotational grazing. I was doing it for exactly that and was also fencing around a pond as part of the rotation. The NRCS called the fence around the pond an "exclusion" fence and reimbursed at a higher $ because it helped prevent erosion. Again, I'm not pushing the .gov tit but if you're going to do it anyhow it would be worth looking into.

Thanks for the heads up, but this is the storage pond / pivot pond between the fish farm and the hay fields, and all I am doing is keeping the #$%%% neighbor's cows out of the place. Especially when they are moving pasture and driving them up the road. Five strand barbed on 5" treated posts ought to take care of that,

I don't do cows, unless they are on my plate...... wink
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/27/21
Three barbs, on steel posts spaced a rod apart should turn the cows.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/28/21
We get way too much snow to be able to go 16' apart, unless you put a dancer between each post.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/28/21
Dutch, by a dancer you mean a twisted wire, what I'd call a , stay?
[Linked Image from redbrand.com]
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/28/21

We have built about 25000 feet of pipe and cable in the last few years, you want to spend money on fence for live stock and horses this will do the trick, very low on up keep. We are covered up with Turkey's, you can't build a fence they can't fly over. Rio7
We had cable feedlot fence years ago, it did not hold cattle.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/28/21
A "dancer" around here is is thin post, usually a lodge pole pine, untreated, that's not in the ground. Same purpose as a twisted wire in your picture.
But small lodgepole pines are free for the cutting with an inexpensive forest service permit...... A good excuse to head into the mountains in the summer on a hot day.

That's a nice looking fence you got there......
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/28/21

We build fence every year down with the old and up with the new, seems like it never ends. Rio7
The picture I posted to show the stays was a web image,

This is what most of our fences look like,[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/28/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We had cable feedlot fence years ago, it did not hold cattle.

What failed?

There are zoos that hold ephelants with pipe and cable.
Mike, the cables were on turnbuckles, and springs, the cattle simply pushed through the cables.

The original cable fences were made with cheap oilfield used parts.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/29/21
OK.

I know some folks here that use drill pipe and wireline wire for fencing with great success for horses.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/29/21
But, horses are smarter than bovine!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/29/21
Originally Posted by ironbender

Not by much, if any.

A horse has the intelligence of a house cat. wink
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/29/21
Tractor Supply shows Gaucho wire at like, 42$ a roll.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/29/21

With pipe and cable, once in awhile we will have a calf lay down and get up on the wrong side of the fence,but we see them or hear them not much of a problem. we have held Bison in our pipe and cable no problem, Rio7
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/29/21
Whatever works Rio!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/30/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ironbender

Not by much, if any.

A horse has the intelligence of a house cat. wink

Sunuvabitch!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/30/21

laugh
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 06/30/21
I know slightly off color joke about a horse, and a wire fence.

Too long for me to type,an' spell here.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 07/01/21
This helps some, 10 bucks and the weight off our load of scrap.

!21/2 gauge galvanized brace wire.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: colodog Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 07/03/21
My current project is 1000' of no climb fence for the second horse pasture, adjacent to the first.
I was seeing prices rise so I bought the roll fencing a year ago and the timber company has held prices steady this year so they have been overwhelmed with orders.
My timber order came up on the wait list this weer so it's time to get to work...

Glad I bought when I did, it's expensive now.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 07/03/21
Originally Posted by colodog
My current project is 1000' of no climb fence for the second horse pasture, adjacent to the first.
I was seeing prices rise so I bought the roll fencing a year ago and the timber company has held prices steady this year so they have been overwhelmed with orders.
My timber order came up on the wait list this weer so it's time to get to work...

Glad I bought when I did, it's expensive now.

Glad you bought it then......but no climb has never not been expensive!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 07/04/21
M<y father liked rope, block, and tackle wire stretchers.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Fencing Matierial. $$$ - 07/04/21
We only had barbwire fences and used the tractor to pull it tight. If it was just a short pull, we'd take a post and use it for a lever to pull it. Dad said we didn't need a store bought puller.
© 24hourcampfire