Home
Posted By: ironbender Feed Bags - Part II - 06/24/21
What do you do with your empties?

I use them as trash bags. Propped up in the garage and get filled with smaller bags from around the house. Also for trash in the hay shed and barn.

When I have a surplus, some make their way to folks with dog teams for dog poop.

Got more bags than trash.
Posted By: Texczech Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/24/21
We use our dog food bags for outside trash. We put one standing up in a trashcan on the patio. It gets filled quickly.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/24/21
Mostly mine are grain bags, but I just bought a ton of alfalfa cubes in 50 # bags. I have more than I need.One in basement for junk mail/scrap paper, one in garage for trash, and one in the tack room for more trash. We don't put any garbage in them because of bears.Garbage can has to stay in closed garage until trash day.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/25/21
Saddlesore
I am surprised the bears don't scent it and open the garage for a looksee.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/26/21
Burn, baby, burn.......

I reuse a bunch of them for mort bags and to pack retail sales, but still have way more than I can get rid of. No recycling option, so.....
Posted By: ironbender Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Mostly mine are grain bags, but I just bought a ton of alfalfa cubes in 50 # bags. I have more than I need.One in basement for junk mail/scrap paper, one in garage for trash, and one in the tack room for more trash. We don't put any garbage in them because of bears.Garbage can has to stay in closed garage until trash day.

I essentially use them as garbage cans inside the garage until I smell it or have enough to go to the transfer site.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/26/21
I got in on the tail end of the feed sack dresses, and such.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Pics?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/26/21

I remember 100# Flour and grain sacks that were flower print, and 50# Sugar sacks that had flowers on them, my Grandmother and Aunts would make what they called house dresses, from them and they would make kitchen towels called tea towels, from Sugar sacks, when my Mother passed away she had a closet full of hand made Quilts, Tea Towels, and home made Aprons, made from sacks.. waste not want not. Rio7
Real hand made quilts.

Way before the fad, my wife made a quilt with wool I pulled off a dead ewe.

She washed, carded it, and filled a quilt.

My aunt made a quilt entirely the hard way.

That's in the cabin.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Pics?

No Mike, that goes back to the mid fifties.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/27/21
We had many quilts made from worn blankets. My mother would keep turning 3-4 blankets so all the worn spots were covered. This was in the early 50's

Most of the smaller towels, dish cloth etc.,were made from flour, sugar sacks.
All of our shirts and two sister's dresses were sewn on a Singer treadle sewing machine
Posted By: ironbender Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by ironbender

Pics?

No Mike, that goes back to the mid fifties.

I meant of you in one nem dresses! 🙈
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/27/21
Don't hold yer breath Iron Mike.
Mike, FDR wore a "Dress", I know a cousin was Baptized in a Christening gown.

The style at the time.[img]https://home.nps.gov/common/uploads...g?width=307&quality=90&mode=crop[/img]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/27/21
Real hand made quilts.

Way before the fad, my wife made a quilt with wool I pulled off a dead ewe.

She washed, carded it, and filled a quilt.

My aunt made a quilt entirely the hard way.

That's in the cabin.

I’ve still got the baby quilt my great Grandmother made for me in 1959. She was in her 80’s at the time. Lived to be 95.
Last quilt she ever made. Mom told me it was made from scraps from her old dresses. I was the only Great Grandchild she made one for. 🤠
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by RIO7

I remember 100# Flour and grain sacks that were flower print, and 50# Sugar sacks that had flowers on them, my Grandmother and Aunts would make what they called house dresses, from them and they would make kitchen towels called tea towels, from Sugar sacks, when my Mother passed away she had a closet full of hand made Quilts, Tea Towels, and home made Aprons, made from sacks.. waste not want not. Rio7

I found a bunch of those in an old chest in the barn of my Great Grandparents farm when I was a kid. Grandmother said her Mom made lots of stuff out of them.
My darling mother cut donuts out with a jar lid, and a thimble.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Feed Bags - Part II - 06/28/21
Speakin' of bags.
© 24hourcampfire