Home
Posted By: muleshoe Fall anhydrous - 12/01/21
For the first time ever I am pulling in my anhydrous in the fall. It always tends to be a bit more in the spring but this coming sounds to be pretty tough and may have shortages.

I prepaid about a month back and locked in at $1250/ton. I hear it's a couple hundred more than that now. With luck I will finish tomorrow.

Any of you corn farmers who use it put your anhydrous in in the fall?

What are they charging for it in your neck of the woods?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fall anhydrous - 12/01/21
Jake put ours on a short while back.

NH3 is up to $1500 a ton.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fall anhydrous - 12/01/21
At $1500, that's $180 per acer at 150 pounds, WOW!
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Fall anhydrous - 12/02/21
I’ve putting on 180 the past couple of years. Did 150 for decades, have had a very noticeable increase in yield.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Fall anhydrous - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Jake put ours on a short while back.

NH3 is up to $1500 a ton.

Hard to make it pay out at that.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Fall anhydrous - 12/02/21
Anhydrous is never put down in the fall in my part of the country. It just doesn't get cold enough to keep it in place. I'm not sure what the temperature point is that you have to have in order for it to work, just know that it's never done here. We put some P and K on our pastures and hay ground, and limed them this fall. I imagine that we will apply the N at the lowest rate we can get by with come spring, but if you're going to make grass grow it has to be fertilized.

I'm guessing that chicken litter is going to be a hot commodity around here because of the high fertilizer prices. It's used to some extent, and the smell is absolutely awful. I told the neighbor that rents my cropland that he could use it, as long as he worked it in immediately. That would temper the smell to a hopefully lesser degree.
© 24hourcampfire