Home
Any ideas?
I bought rolls of concrete reinforcement mesh. It’s about 5’ wide and about 6” squares. My trees were pretty big when I bought them. I cut about 20’ pieces of this, rolled into a circular cage, set them around the tree and staked them down with long steel rods.
Worked real well.
Thanks Dale!
Not only friut trees,but these long legged rats will kill any small tree when rubbing antlers,. We use an anti deer spray .Seems to the job
Originally Posted by dale06
I bought rolls of concrete reinforcement mesh. It’s about 5’ wide and about 6” squares. My trees were pretty big when I bought them. I cut about 20’ pieces of this, rolled into a circular cage, set them around the tree and staked them down with long steel rods.
Worked real well.

I've used cattle panels with a couple of Tposts. You can roll them in a circle, which will allow them to be used later for something else, or bend them into a square.
30-06
I put fencing around mine.
Originally Posted by dale06
Worked real well.

This stuff makes for great tomato cages too.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I put fencing around mine.

I fence around each tree with hog wire in the fall and remove it in the spring, so I can mow. Luckily there are only 8 trees.
I built 2X2 cages using landscape timber’s, lay two one way then lay two the other way until I reached about 4’ in height. Deck screws held them together. Never had a problem with deer when I used those. After the trees got big enough, I had wood for a camp fire.
I use 60” no-climb, in a circle around the trees. T-posts to hold it in lace. Keep the circle pretty tight, so deer would have to be jumping into the small trees in order to clear the fencing. 5’ is nothing for the deer to clear, but they don’t seem to want to jump into an obstacle.
© 24hourcampfire