Home
Plowin'corn, or beans?

I'm thinking, say, 2002/
Would have been in the 1990's. Plowed some corn. Never did plow beans but maybe once or twice, as I grew mostly narrow row or no-till soybeans. Now, tobacco was something that I plowed at least 4 or 5 times each year that I raised it, which was about 30 years.
late '80s or early '90s still had a four-row mounted cultivator. on a 706 fast hitch. you know the cultivator mounted to the side of the front of the frame of the tractor between front and rear wheels and had a thing that just kind of covered your tracks it in the two-point hitch on the back but hey at least it was hydraulic. I can remember dad talking about using the two row on a John Deere B that you actually had to hand crank it up at the end of the rows.
Late 90’s.
I was on a 3020 with a 6 row and my bosses stepson on a 4440 with a 12 row running through Milo. Be around 1998 when we were in high school.
1980,twelve row rotory hoe 4640 John Deere.
Honeydew melons and tomatoes 1959
mid 80's
1995-1996 in Granddad's truck garden. 1948 Ford 8N and a Dearborn three-point cultivator.
The 80's and 90's for field corn, milo, and cotton with a 4440 and rear mount cultivator.
I still cultivate my garden with my grandfathers JD H and 2 row cultivator but usually can just plow one row at a time since I plant with an old 1 row planter.
Not beans or corn, but I keep a set of cultivators on my '49 Cub, for plowing the peas in the garden every summer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Bout 4 years ago did some headlands and some real weedy patches. Wanted too do more this but was so dry didnt want to lose moisture but next year look out
Sometime in the late 80s
If we still had to cultivate I wouldn’t farm
I think about that somtimes when I’m in the sprayer covering 100 ft swath and 300 acres a day
Took all summer to do that with a cultivar
We did ridge-till for a while 25 years ago. Really hill up corn and soybeans with a heavy built cultivator at lay by time . Saved the ridge and planted on it the next spring. It was like a modified no-till system. This system only worked well on flay ground . Only drawback was wet summer you couldn’t get your ridges built. We were big time for awhile using a 16 row cultivator. Now the above entry big sprayer and more no till.
The late 1960's was the last time I did it. I joined the Army in 1973 and when I came back the place was in hay. We still have the cultivator setting in a back pasture. It was mounted on a Super M the last time it was used.

kwg
We still have a few small irregularly shaped pieces of ground that are farmed with ridge till irrigation.
Mid to late 70's I guess. Before I got out of high school in 1979. 2 row cultivators mounted on a Farmall H. Cultivators are still here but the tractor was traded a long time ago.

Dale
Probably the late 60's. 2 row cultivator, 8N Ford with the wheels set out. Had to have stabilizer bars on the 3 point lift arms to keep the tool on the rows. I liked the rotary hoe better, you could go faster.
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Not beans or corn, but I keep a set of cultivators on my '49 Cub, for plowing the peas in the garden every summer.

^^^^^^

This right here !!!

A 1949 Cub first..........for years. Then a (yellow & white) 1978 Cub.
Ralfe told me to watch this row, the one on the left, that night I had trouble getting my left shoulder flat on the bed.
Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, it's still a thing down south grin So much is watered down the row, you could plan on plowing twice and not worry about bedding before planting.

Corn will turn purple on ground that has been flood irrigated for rice. You have to plow it to get oxygen to the roots. In small beans and sandy ground your fighting blowing sand when it gets dry so plowing is still kind of a thing even when it's not needed.

California is a different animal. It's still chisel plows and offset disc's before planting and D8 to D10's with rippers when replanting an orchard.
Probably mid 80s. We had an Allis rotary cultivator, not a rotary hoe. Last few years we used it in the garden building hills for potatoes. Crank those gangs around and tilt them, kick up some speed and that thing would make hills a foot high and a foot wide with one pass in disced ground.
Late 70's in our 1 acre "garden" on a 240 Farmall (aka International Harvester later on), similar to this one.

We had a John Deere A with a front mounted two row cultivator. First gear in rocky ground so as not to cover the corn and second gear for the fields less rocky.
© 24hourcampfire