Home
Posted By: WayneShaw How To Catch a Snake - 06/15/16
So I've been wondering why I haven't been getting as many eggs lately. Couple days ago I opened the chicken house to check the water and saw a big snake skin shed inside the house! We have mostly black snakes around my place. So how would I go about catching this thing?
Posted By: jimy Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/15/16
Just find the hole he's getting in through and plug it, you know he is eating plenty of mice that are stealing your chicken food.
Most snakes are more beneficial than harmful.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/15/16
I've heard of using caged mice to catch snakes. The come through the bars, but the meal holds the fast. I never had occasion to try it, but it does make sense.
Also agree that snakes can be very beneficial. Maybe snake proofing the eggs would be a better option. How to do that, though, you're on your own! confused
7mm
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/15/16
I fully agree about the benefits of the snakes being around, mice, chipmunks, etc. I would normally not bother one unless it's a copperhead. But, there is no reason the eggs are disappearing other than that big skin calling card it left.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/15/16
The chickens I have now are carnivores a bird flew in the lot the other day and was gobbled up in seconds doubt a snake would last more than a few minutes.We used to have some ducks and the house was on the ground so you had to crawl in to get the eggs.I learned pretty quick to take my 22 pistol nothing like going toe to toe with a 7ft black snake in cramped quarters.
Posted By: Snyper Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/15/16
Get some "deer netting"
Roll it loosely and lay it along the walls of your coop.
Snakes trying to crawl through it get tangled
Posted By: justin10mm Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/15/16
Take a medium sized fish hook tied to a couple feet of fishing line and anchor it to something immovable. Next take a fresh egg and poke a tiny hole in it with the tip of the fish hook. Insert the hook inside of the egg and place were a snake is likely to find it. Snake eats egg, shell breaks inside snake, hook catches snake. It is fool proof.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/16/16
Justin, I will do this, sounds like a plan!
Posted By: 30338 Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/16/16
My aunt once painted an old door knob white and left it in the nest. Snake didn't return after the knob went missing.
Posted By: ecmn Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/18/16
I have a relative that does varmint control and he catches snakes with those sticky cardboard things for mice. When he releases them he just puts vegetable oil on it.
Posted By: stantdm Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/21/16
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Take a medium sized fish hook tied to a couple feet of fishing line and anchor it to something immovable. Next take a fresh egg and poke a tiny hole in it with the tip of the fish hook. Insert the hook inside of the egg and place were a snake is likely to find it. Snake eats egg, shell breaks inside snake, hook catches snake. It is fool proof.

This. It works well.
Posted By: milespatton Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/22/16
I have heard that an old golf ball in the nest will work. Need to be the kind with wrapped rubber bands. Snake eats it thinking it to be an egg and his digestive juices melt the outer cover and the band stare coming apart blowing him up from the inside. I don't know if it works or if they even make this type golf ball any more. you used to be able to get glass eggs just for this purpose, but I would have no idea where to find one now. miles
Posted By: milespatton Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/22/16
I fully agree about the benefits of the snakes being around,

Called by several names but we call them chicken snakes here. I kill every one that I can. They eat lots of quail eggs, baby rabbits and baby squirrels along with song birds and eggs that are in trees. We have some here that swim from tree to tree along lake edges and then climb the trees eating baby anything, from squirrels to wood ducks. They are bigger but I don't know if they are a different snake or just the diet is different. They look nearly alike but could be a close relative. miles
Posted By: Owl Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/22/16
I've always caught them with a 12 gauge grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/22/16
Originally Posted by Owl

Over-penetrate?
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/22/16
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Owl

Over-penetrate?

Not if he swings it by the barrel. wink

Ed
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/24/16
I took a snelled hook, put it in the egg, tied some monofilamnet onto the end of the snelled hook line. Yesterday, the egg is gone and the line is missing about 2 or 3 inches from where the hook was. Something has an egg with a hook in it's gut, but I don't know what.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/24/16
May have to go to steel leader and braided fishing line... wink
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/24/16
Yep, I'll se how things go.
Posted By: Allen917 Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/24/16
When I was a kid the feed store sold glass eggs in a egg carton for getting rid of snakes. Recently one of our friends was using range golf balls. He said the golf balls work fine.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/24/16
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
So I've been wondering why I haven't been getting as many eggs lately. Couple days ago I opened the chicken house to check the water and saw a big snake skin shed inside the house! We have mostly black snakes around my place. So how would I go about catching this thing?

Are you sure your chickens aren't molting?

I'd try to snakeproof the coop, as I like snakes keeping the populations of mice, rats, gophers, starlings, etc down.

But I see your already working with a fishhook set up. Seems like not such a nice way for a critter to go.

The rolled up "deer" fence or what one uses to keep the birds off fruit trees will work. I had some around some tomato plants to keep the quail and pheasants out but kept catching gopher snakes. I went to rabbit fence or large chicken wire.

Good luck,

Geno
Posted By: ironbender Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/25/16
Funny in a way, the problems different regions produce.

Never a worry about snakes here, but had to 'owl-proof' my coop last year.

I know some that have to bear-proof theirs with electric fencing.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: How To Catch a Snake - 06/30/16
[Linked Image] almost stepped on this one beside the chicken lot yesterday
Posted By: speedsixman Re: How To Catch a Snake - 07/13/16
Allen917,

My grandmother didn't have snakes that bothered her chickens, but she had one of those glass eggs and a home-carved wooden one painted white.She called them 'fool eggs'.

Their primary purpose was to train a hen that wanted to drop eggs on the ground instead of in the nest. She would place the fake egg in the nest and place the hen in the nest with it.
After 1 or 2 tries, the hens usually got the idea.

Myron
Posted By: Troutnut Re: How To Catch a Snake - 07/13/16
Dang I hate Copperheads , rather be around a Rattler anytime.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: How To Catch a Snake - 07/18/16
A good friend lost one of her prize "Service Dogs" this AM, to a damned Mojave,...with our recent rains, they're on the go. Two bites to the head, and the stout, healthy dog was gone, IV anti venom at a local Vet clinic notwithstanding.

The damn thing's still loose on her place, or headed in my general direction.

One of the more troublesome things we're noting is that a LOT of Mojave bites are not forewarned with rattling.

...looks like disenchanted Mau-Maus are not the only ones resorting to ambush, and practice thereof.

Caged mice, maybe ?

Thoughts ?

GTC
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: How To Catch a Snake - 07/19/16
Damn a Mojave.

Deadly little bastids.

Was shredding a ranch a few days ago and shredded a large McCartney Rose growth, and there was a big cotton mouth under it. By the time I got the tractor shut down and walked back there with 1911 in hand, it was gone...

I hate cottonmouths worse than anything.

They are born pizzed off.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: How To Catch a Snake - 07/19/16
Barry, if you don't have a cab on your tractor you can get them sumbiches before they disappear. Ask me how I know... grin

BTW, I'm with you about killing them.

Ed
Posted By: sawbuck Re: How To Catch a Snake - 07/20/16
You can build a funnel trap or just use a minnow trap. It doesn't hurt to put an egg or two inside.
Placed along a wall or other obstruction is best.
© 24hourcampfire