Home
Posted By: wabigoon Tomato Varietys - 04/05/17
What types of the tomatoes do you like, and why?
Posted By: Aviator Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/05/17
I'm a big fan of Purple Prudence....it's an heirloom dark pink well rounded tomato, I've been growing tomatoes for 35 years and it is my favorite..
Posted By: mohick Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/05/17
most kinds of open polinated heirloom varieties none of the big boy big beef stuff is worth the waste of time!!
Posted By: milespatton Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/05/17
I like Arkansas Travelers, simply for the taste. Up until the last couple of years they made more than I could eat, with a good fall crop, if you took care of them during the hot, dry months of late July, August and early Sept. I have had trouble with Septoria the last couple of years, with it coming on after a long rainy spell. Supposedly in the ground and not on the plants that I bought. After that probably Rutgers. I also raise Early Girls for the short period until I have a home grown tomato. miles
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/05/17
Had nice luck with the Cherokee Purples and Cherokee Carbons. Nice, plump, juicy!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/05/17
I usually plant several varieties. Mountain Pride or Mountain Spring, Jet Star, Romas, sometimes Rutgers, maybe an Early Girl or Better Boy, and a variety of the cherry tomatoes.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/05/17
Celebrity is about the only one I can get to grow, that will make tomatoes all summer. Its resistant to most of the things that effect tomatoes and with a little spraying, I can keep the bugs off.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/05/17
Cherokee Purple.
Bradleys are another pretty good one. Much different when left on the vine to ripen, as opposed to picked pink and shipped. Made famous as a commercial tomato in South Arkansas. All tomato's are, which is why I seldom eat a tomato unless it is picked from my garden. miles
Or the neighbors. grin miles
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/06/17
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Celebrity is about the only one I can get to grow, that will make tomatoes all summer. Its resistant to most of the things that effect tomatoes and with a little spraying, I can keep the bugs off.

I forgot about them. I used to grow them exclusively, and had good luck with them. They are a good tomato for the home garden.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/06/17
I like larger tomatoes, but the Sweet 100's small tomatoes grow well here, and produce like crazy. For a long time.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/06/17
German Johnson. The only tomato.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/06/17
I like the Cherokee Purples, but have had NO luck growing them!

Posted By: Poconojack Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/06/17
Have grown many, many different varieties over the years. Favorites include Jetstar, Supersonic, Better Boy and Big Girl. Last several years have grown Ramapo, Moreton and Rutgers which are classic old-time Jersey tomatoes. Seeds were purchased from the New Jersey Agricultural Experimental Station at Rutgers University and the tomatoes are delicious....
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/06/17
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Celebrity is about the only one I can get to grow, that will make tomatoes all summer.

+1
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/07/17
Anyone use that spray bloom set?

Seems like it works down here.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/07/17
Anyone use that spray bloom set?

Never used that but I do put epsom salts under them when setting out plants for blossom end rot. Just a little. miles
Posted By: mohick Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/07/17
Epsom salts is prob one of the best fertalizers known to man !!! Two new varieties of heirloom to try this year ( DESTER and HUNGARIAN HEART) all the hybred stuff is just for selling or shipping, not eating! Even the amish commercial growers here don't eat that stuff, all have an heirloom patch for their own use!!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/07/17
Old neighbor up road used Epsom salts and bone meal. Man he had some big tomatoes!
Posted By: byron Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/08/17
Brandywine for the flavor and size. Beefsteak, because it's a bit meatier, and also of good flavor for our sauces that the wife cans.
This down from the several varieties we planted the last couple years.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/09/17
Sweet 100 or Sweet Million
Sungold
Early Girl
Burpee Big Boy (best taste to me from numerous gardens)
Celebrity (if nothing else will grow)
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/10/17
Something along these lines if I can find them at a nursery already started. Seems one of my places closed down for good over the winter. They had lots of variety too frown

Black Russian:

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vege...eeds/tomato-black-russian-heritage/319TM

Absolutely wonderful flavor.

Geno

PS, I'll have others but don't know until I see what's available. At least a couple of "Roma" types for eating and canning and also a cherry or two.
Posted By: hanco Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/11/17
Celebrities grow well here
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/11/17
Miles, you mentioned putting down epsom salt... this is my recipe for setting out tomato plants.

I got this from someone here on the fire, a few years ago.

Dig a hole about 1' deep- throw in 1 handful of each (fertilizer, epsom salt, cottonseed meal, and lime)- fill hole 1/2 full and stir up the contents- finish filling hole and put plant in the top half. This will let the roots find the nutrients as it develops and not burn the small plant.

Dont forget to water the small plants.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/12/17
Dig a hole about 1' deep- throw in 1 handful of each (fertilizer, epsom salt, cottonseed meal, and lime)- fill hole 1/2 full and stir up the contents-

Do similar, except lime. Tomato's are generally acid loving plants. Some us pine straw to mulch with for that reason, but it will depend on your ground. Cottonseed meal is a good fertilizer for watermelons too. miles
Posted By: arky65 Re: Tomato Varietys - 04/13/17
I have been raising Large Red Tomato's for 15+ years for our table. Really ugly tomato but it is the best tasting I have ever come across. It is an old heirloom you can get the seeds here large red tomato. I like and raise Beefstakes also for flavor and meatiness. Just put two rows of Beefsteaks in the ground yesterday and two rows of red bellpeppers and one hill of Crimson Sweet watermelons. My LRT's , cucs, squash and eggplant will be ready to plant next week.
Posted By: hanco Re: Tomato Varietys - 05/24/17
Getting a bunch now. Nothing like a home grown.
© 24hourcampfire