Home
Posted By: ironbender Lawn Aerators - 04/13/17
Aireators if you prefer. wink

seems like a good idea. Are they effective?
Posted By: stantdm Re: Lawn Aerators - 04/13/17
Short answer is yes.

The kind that pull a plug out of the grass/dirt seem to work pretty well. I used to have it done once in awhile when I lived in house that had a yard (I live on a farm now).
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Lawn Aerators - 04/14/17
My son bought a very inexpensive one from Lowes. I fastened a couple of tractor weights on it, and it helped some, but still wouldn't really penetrate the ground deep enough to help. I try to hit my yard with one every few years, and usually rent a heavy duty one from a store that has them. They are actually pluggers, and do a better job than the little rinky dink ones that just scratch the surface.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Lawn Aerators - 04/14/17
Ive rented one that plugged pretty good. Looked like I had a chihuahua ranch for a while. I think it helped but hard to tell. Might do it again this year.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Lawn Aerators - 04/14/17
bender, I'd think you just paint the snow green for the two weeks of summer?
Posted By: Lonny Re: Lawn Aerators - 04/14/17
At the place where we used to live, the lawn was sod bound and compacted. The aerating seemed to help a fair amount. A landscape guy told me that with the condition of my soil and grass, spring and fall aeration would be a good idea.

I only ever did it in the spring, but as soon as I would aerate, it wouldn't rain for months it seemed.... I was left with plugs dried hard as rocks and it took a couple months for them to break down.
Posted By: cabindweller Re: Lawn Aerators - 04/15/17
I am in Zone 4. I pay a guy 50 bucks cash in late August to doe it, then over seed before rain and cooler weather in the fall. I works wonders on our lawn. He has a unit that pulls out some good sized plugs.
© 24hourcampfire