Home
Posted By: SuburbanHunter I have wheat... - 04/22/17
Didn't know where to put this exactly but it is about wheat and that sounds rural.

A friend moved and was sending a LOT (several years worth) of 25-30 year old survival food to the dump. My lovely bride simply cannot abide anything being wasted so a large amount of it came to live in my garage. We gave away most of it to folks on craigslist but still have at least 13 ea. 5 gallon buckets of unground hard winter wheat that no one wants. Tried the local food bank and soup kitchen.

Any ideas of what to do with it that has some redeeming value? I hate to send it off to the land fill but getting pretty tired of looking at it. What kind of animal would this be good food for? I could go dump it in the woods if the deer or elk would eat it but if they don't I hate to cause a rodent population explosion.

BTW - If anyone here wants it you just have to come get it. Just northeast of Colorado Springs.
Posted By: Texczech Re: I have wheat... - 04/22/17
Fill the buckets with water. Let it set till it ferments. Throw it in your favorite fishing spot. The catfish will come to it.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: I have wheat... - 04/22/17
Turkeys love it.
Posted By: milespatton Re: I have wheat... - 04/22/17
Bait doves,er er, plant a food plot for deer and hunt doves over it. grin miles
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I have wheat... - 04/22/17
Once it is rotted so it will not sprout, it is good fertilizer.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: I have wheat... - 04/22/17
Originally Posted by SuburbanHunter
. .We gave away most of it to folks on craigslist but still have at least 13 ea. 5 gallon buckets of unground hard winter wheat that no one wants.

BTW - If anyone here wants it you just have to come get it. Just northeast of Colorado Springs.

that is truly a cryin' a$$ shame. there's no telling at the folks
that have paid a premium for just that very thing over the years.
it'll only be good for forever plus 3 days.

if it weren't so far as to make the freight unreasonable, i'd
take it from you in an instant.

thanks for being so generous with your windfall
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: I have wheat... - 04/23/17
My wife's sister and her husband were clearing a storage room with many of those 5gal buckets of wheat. Asked if I would take them...Yep.

I fed some to the wildlife. Deer and birds both ate it.

Planted even more in a winter food plot. It grew fast, and the deer munched on it all winter.

Lots of uses.... wink
Posted By: HitnRun Re: I have wheat... - 04/23/17
Wheat won't last forever. They found some in King Tut's tomb that was still good, but who knows how much longer it will last.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: I have wheat... - 04/23/17
I feed it to my resident Quail and Rabbits but I suspect just about any game bird would eat it.

I usually take a five gallon bucket or two along when I go hunting up on the Prairie. There's always a big pile on the ground that spills out when they auger it into the grain bins. It just gets driven over and goes to waste if someone doesn't pick it up.

To bad you don't live closer...I'd take some off your hands.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I have wheat... - 04/23/17
Yep, there's a reason there's a goodly number of pheasant, quail, dove (even the dang Eurasian ones), huns, and chuckar around these wheatfields in E WA/N ID.

I'd say plant some next fall like our other member did, the critters will love you for the fresh green grass until the snow covers it, then they'll love you again in the spring when it rebounds, and again in late summer when it's ready to harvest.

Wish I could take a bucket off your hands too.

Have you tried grinding it into flour?

I may be weird (no maybe to some folks) but I like the kernels just as they are one or two at a time. Kinda like the "cracked wheat" in bread, I like the flavor.

Good luck passing it on.

Is there a co-op grocery store (a hippie store) in your area with a bulletin board, might be able to post a note there.

Geno
Posted By: Cheesy Re: I have wheat... - 04/24/17
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I may be weird (no maybe to some folks) but I like the kernels just as they are one or two at a time. Kinda like the "cracked wheat" in bread, I like the flavor

During harvest we'd often take a handful and chew it right out of the combine, get the spit consistency just right and it would make almost a gum like substance.

Things you do out of boredom waiting on the truck to be filled....
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: I have wheat... - 04/24/17
[Linked Image]

Do you have a kitchenaid mixer (or Bosch)? Grind it and bake away
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I have wheat... - 04/24/17
nimrod,
my wife has one but not that attachment.

Now you've got me thinking I have to go spend money.

Geno
Posted By: SamOlson Re: I have wheat... - 04/24/17
Last bad winter we had I drug a bunch of wheat up to my 'chickens'....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They of course loved it.

15-20lb piles would disappear in a few days.

Originally Posted by Cheesy
I may be weird (no maybe to some folks) but I like the kernels just as they are one or two at a time. Kinda like the "cracked wheat" in bread, I like the flavor

During harvest we'd often take a handful and chew it right out of the combine, get the spit consistency just right and it would make almost a gum like substance.

Done the same thing hundreds of times!

Posted By: Valsdad Re: I have wheat... - 04/24/17

Boredom?

Or did you leave lunch back at the shop? shocked

Geno
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: I have wheat... - 04/25/17
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Last bad winter we had I drug a bunch of wheat up to my 'chickens'....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They of course loved it.

15-20lb piles would disappear in a few days.

Done the same thing hundreds of times!

Me too. Even went and got it out of the bin the next spring to do the same.
© 24hourcampfire