Home
Posted By: seal_billy Apple trees. - 07/10/17
My honeycrisp trees look like hammered crap. Leaves are covered with brown spots. I sprayed them in the spring. IDK what's up with them. My grannysmith looks great.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Apple trees. - 07/11/17

Yellow Delicious in my field...........about 32 trees.......

all froze this spring...............gonna miss 'em this fall..........
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Apple trees. - 07/11/17
I have 5 apple trees. One Golden Delicious, 2 Red Delicious, and 2 red apple trees that I can't recall the name of. I spayed more than ever this spring......2 sprayings of dormant oil, and fruit tree spray with Captan 4 times as recommended. I have crappy apples, as bad as I've ever had. Cedar Rust on the leaves, as I didn't spray with copper at the right time. Late freeze got my peaches. Dwarf cherry was loaded, but the fruit was not very good, and it was sprayed too. One pear tree has nothing, the other has a few, but it never has good ones anyway. 2-4-D drift hurt my blueberries and pretty much got the grapes. Blackberries were pretty good though.
Posted By: arky65 Re: Apple trees. - 07/11/17
Presently it has probably progressed to far but you can try Immunox, or sulfur spray or both 7-10 day intervals.

For next year

home fruit spray schedule

I have been using this schedule for the last few years and unless it is a very wet spring/summer have few issues. Before implementing this I had all kinds of issues. The streptomycin spray and timing is important with apples and pears.

My biggest problem now are the deer. They eat everything I grow. 4 apples, 7 peach, 1 plum, 1 cherry, 2 fig trees, 50' blackberry, 50' strawberry.
This winter I am going to put up a 10' fence around the orchard. And me and the wife will fill our deer tags right here at home.
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Apple trees. - 07/16/17
I have 5 honeycrisp, 4 macintosh and 4 empires. 2 sour cherry, 2 pear, one reliance peach and a couple of berry patches. It has been a very wet spring and the same so far this summer. The cherry trees are giving well right now and most of the apple trees and pear trees are loaded with small fruit. I had some trouble with peach leaf curl due to all the rain and didn't catch it quick enough. My honeycrisp trees always look the worst and I have been told that is pretty standard. The fruit is good though. I asked a commercial orchard friend about honeycrisp and he said he makes his biggest profit from them since they keep so well and have such great flavor. He told me his trees often have the same problem described.
© 24hourcampfire