Home
Posted By: wabigoon Them Home Grown Tomatoes. - 07/28/17
We have just picked a few here, I miss those tasty things, till the season arrives.
I had 16 plants.

They were producing a bucket full a day. smile

Then we got blight. No mas. They are toast for the year. Sadly.
Mine are just turning red, finally! Had a late start getting them in the ground due to weather.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Them Home Grown Tomatoes. - 08/03/17
My wife had some on the deck . There was a perfect tomato growing there about an hour ago. Not anymore. Them dirty chickens got out of the coup and ate the thing right off the plant. I hate those chickens more every day.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Them Home Grown Tomatoes. - 08/03/17
i got my eye on a big old beefmaster that is just about ready. i figger it will be lunch on saturday. sliced along with some mozzarella slices and eye tie dressing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWwyhCVBDg
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Them Home Grown Tomatoes. - 08/06/17
I planted determinate tomatoes this year and they are through for the year. My BIL has some indeterminate and we are still eating a few out of his garden.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I planted a few rows of fall peas, yesterday. Need some rain.
What a difference location makes....mine are just coming on right now.
I've got a mess of em though.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Them Home Grown Tomatoes. - 08/14/17
I picked 3 five gallon buckets yesterday and made 42 pints of salsa
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Them Home Grown Tomatoes. - 08/15/17
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I picked 3 five gallon buckets yesterday and made 42 pints of salsa

Lucky Bastid! wink grin

I'm just getting some of the "Patio" variety I have in a container. And a few cherry type. Have five more plants just setting fruit as I was really late getting them in due to not knowing if I was retiring this year or not. I did, and found some gallon size plants on sale at the local farmers market, end of planting season sale so they were cheap enough I thought I'd take the risk. I've got hoops for the beds and can cover them if we get a light frost early in Sept. Hard frost and I'm outa luck. Next year I'm hoping for a bonanza like earlybird !

Geno
Just got the first ripe one (Early Girl) a couple days ago. Our generally cooler PNW summers mean august for tomatoes unless you have a greenhouse, and by mid september the nights are getting cool and damp enough that you need to pick the unriped ones and finish them off inside. Trying a couple heritage varieties this year (Manitoba and another one with black shouldered fruit) but no ripe ones to sample yet!
Posted By: stantdm Re: Them Home Grown Tomatoes. - 08/15/17
We are getting a pretty good supply from the four 5 gallon buckets out by the deck. We get hailed out so often that it is that or watch them get pounded every year.
© 24hourcampfire