Home
Posted By: roundoak Moving cattle - 09/06/17
I nice reprieve from field work.

On drag.

[Linked Image]

At daylight the horses were full of piss and vinegar. Come late afternoon ready to take a breather.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Moving cattle - 09/06/17
That is a nice looking heard of cattle Oak.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Moving cattle - 09/06/17
Thanks, it has been a good year so far. Minimal loses, good pastures, now to sort and finish some for market.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Moving cattle - 09/06/17
That flea bit grey looks like my old gelding.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Moving cattle - 09/06/17
I like that old school saddle in the middle. Don't see many with a high back seat anymore. miles
Originally Posted by JamesJr
That flea bit grey looks like my old gelding.

My grey horse is easily offended, so it is a good thing he did not hear that.
laugh
Originally Posted by milespatton
I like that old school saddle in the middle. Don't see many with a high back seat anymore. miles

Wade has a skinny arse, the high cantle keeps him in the seat. grin

I got sort-of-a throwback saddle too, but use it only for show and tell and Sunday go-to meeting.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: Moving cattle - 09/06/17
That horse on the left looks stout — heavy boned. Was he bred for that? The white/gray speckled one.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Moving cattle - 09/06/17
Nice!

I miss gathering 350 sections twice a year. Only way to getter done is horseback.
Originally Posted by kingston
That horse on the left looks stout — heavy boned. Was he bred for that? The white/gray speckled one.

Jake is a grade horse with quarter horse conformation. He has a heavier frame than the bay to the right of him but about the same as the chestnut. I purchased him as a broke three year old because of size (15 hands), disposition and back conformation. He has one of the best back top lines for saddle fit that I have owned. Well defined withers that are higher than the top of the croup. Back runs slightly downhill to the withers.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice!

I miss gathering 350 sections twice a year. Only way to getter done is horseback.

Wow, that is real estate unheard of here in the upper Midwest. My rear end would be raw covering that ground. My whole farm is only 685 acres 220 of which is pasture. Hilly country with three dimensions, top, bottom and side hills.

It is a constant battle to keep the brush down, especially multi-flora rose. We always had prickly ash and Gooseberry bushes, but the rose is nasty stuff. I have added tapadero's to the stirrups.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Moving cattle - 09/06/17
I have rose hedge down here. Macartney rose.

That is some bad, bad stuff. You can lose the ranch to it if you let it get started.

And yaupon, huisache, mesquite and prickly pear! smile
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Moving cattle - 09/07/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon
That is a nice looking heard of cattle Oak.

They are indeed the right color!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Moving cattle - 09/07/17
dat's Raciss.....
Posted By: roundoak Re: Moving cattle - 09/07/17
Originally Posted by huntsman22
dat's Raciss.....

Snort!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Moving cattle - 09/08/17
Every time I open one of these threads, I regret my career decisions in life. smile
© 24hourcampfire