Home
Posted By: wabigoon The Corn This Fall. - 11/28/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/28/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/28/17
Good times!

Lookin' at those grain carts, the yield was pretty decent?
From about 175, to 195 bushels an acre Barry. I'd like to have done a video, or two, but the risk of spilling corn on the ground was not worth it.
Gotcha!

Corn didn't do quite that well this year down here. Not enough rain when needed, and too much when it wasn't. wink
What is good corn in Texas Barry? I understand in west Texas milo is a popular crop. We used to raise some of that for silage.
They alternate corn and milo a lot down here. Rotating gives the field time to recover.

I talked to a friend that got just over 160b on corn. Milo does about the same yield here. Plus, you get great dove hunting! laugh
Posted By: roundoak Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/28/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon
From about 175, to 195 bushels an acre Barry.
Not too bad, per acre.

Looks like flat country there, envious.
Oak, that might be one of the levelest parts of the farm, mostly hills, terraces, and contour. My father used to say, "Anyone can farm straight rows," I know it takes whatever brains I've got.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/28/17
Good color on the equipment in the foreground.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/28/17
The guy who farms my irrigated ground on the KS/NE border averaged around 260 bushels per acre.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/28/17
Corn yielded really good here this year, with a lot of 200 bu. an acre. My neighbor rents my crop ground, and his corn was really looking good until what was left of hurricane Harvey blew through here. A lot of my corn went down, especially the Mycogen brand corn. The combine couldn't get it all, and there was a lot left in the field. I suspect that as much as 20% was lost here. If the farmer had a variety that held up to the storms, they did good this year.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/29/17
I think that the corn that was planted on my farm was Pioneer 1828.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/29/17
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

When I was farming myself, back in the 1970's, 80's, 90's, Pioneer was my corn of choice. It was a very popular brand around here. I imagine that more Pioneer 3369-A seed corn was sold here, than all others combined. There are so many choices available anymore, that I don't see how the farmers can decide what to grow and what not to. I do know that the Mycogen varieties that fell down this year, have fell out of favor.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/29/17
What corn? I dont see no stinking corn! grin
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/29/17
Corn, on the hoof, the last rows.[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/30/17
"All is safely gathered in ...."
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/30/17
Looks like a lot of cutting.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/30/17
Originally Posted by ironbender

If you haven't lived though a small grain harvest, you can't begin to imagine how much time, money, and work goes into harvesting a crop.
Posted By: roundoak Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/30/17
Originally Posted by JamesJr

When I was farming myself, back in the 1970's, 80's, 90's, Pioneer was my corn of choice. It was a very popular brand around here. I imagine that more Pioneer 3369-A seed corn was sold here, than all others combined. There are so many choices available anymore, that I don't see how the farmers can decide what to grow and what not to. I do know that the Mycogen varieties that fell down this year, have fell out of favor.

I choose local hybrid corn producers, Kussmaul and Dairyland. Their seed fields are within 10 miles of me. Soil types and climate mirrors my ground.
Posted By: roundoak Re: The Corn This Fall. - 11/30/17
Originally Posted by ironbender

If you haven't lived though a small grain harvest, you can't begin to imagine how much time, money, and work goes into harvesting a crop.

At $3.60/bushel corn I might not get my wages paid this year.
Posted By: Owl Re: The Corn This Fall. - 12/04/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Owl Re: The Corn This Fall. - 12/04/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: The Corn This Fall. - 12/04/17
I had some amazing good corn this year....
I plant dekalb and pioneer both....the pioneer was the overall yeald winner but the dekalb was the field high it was on my best dirt yeald was 236
HAD 2 numbers fall down bad..1105 pioneer and 6581 dekalb
1197 pioneer was a superstar everywhere...had some ear drop but yeald was still around 200 even on the hill ground...
Wish I knew how to post a video off my phone got some good footage of the yeald moniter
© 24hourcampfire