Home
Finished the last timber cut for 2017 last Friday.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice!

What wood is that? Looks like walnut?
Yep, you are right.
A cornfield for a landing, that’s living!
That looks like a lot of valuable lumber, how much?
Originally Posted by roundoak
Yep, you are right.

Do you know where it'll go, and what will be made from it?

Lots of nice gun stocks in there..:)
Originally Posted by wabigoon
That looks like a lot of valuable lumber, how much?

There are some veneer logs so it will bring up the value considerable. I won't know how it scales out until I get the check in the mail. I will be able to buy mama a new dress and pair of shoes. grin
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Yep, you are right.

They tell me there is a market for it in the furniture industry in the southeastern states and Japan and China, even India.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Yep, you are right.

They tell me there is a market for it in the furniture industry in the southeastern states and Japan and China, even India.

Yeah, you just touched a nerve with me.
They run an add on the radio talking about all the valuable standing timber in Pa.
We take a valuable natural resource, cut it down (absolute minimum value added),
mill some of it, veneer goes out whole. The ship it out (mostly overseas) where they
make a fortune building furniture. WTF.
If you take a backhoe and dig out those black walnut stumps whole from the ground, you would find the absolute best gunstock blanks still there in the taproot.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If you take a backhoe and dig out those black walnut stumps whole from the ground, you would find the absolute best gunstock blanks still there in the taproot.

Actually, about 5 years ago, a guy contacted the local sawmills looking for leads on excavating Black walnut stumps. Some landowners participated, but there must not have been a steady market because I have not heard of any more activity.
We logged a section of woods 2 years ago and cut some walnut. One load of them brought as much as 3 or 4 of the oak.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
We logged a section of woods 2 years ago and cut some walnut. One load of them brought as much as 3 or 4 of the oak.

That is the relationship of the value of the logs but it changes the percentage of money the logger receives.

For example most of the timber I cut is made up of mixed tree species so I bid it 60/40 - 60% landowner and 40% for me. If I bid on select cut walnut, I bid it 70/30. The lowest bid ever was in 2010 when I got a walnut bid at 80/20, but I still made out like a bandit.
Nice logs and logging operation there. I have many Walnut Trees on my property, Walnut brings good money around here along with White Oak.
© 24hourcampfire