Home
Posted By: wabigoon Gaucho Barb Wire? - 01/13/18
Anyone use the lighter gauge wire?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 01/14/18
I have when I was going to electrify it, or use it around the horse pasture. Otherwise, I want something heavier.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 01/14/18
I use high tensile wire down here with good success.

Being a humid environment, that barbed wire lasts many times longer than standard barbed wire.

Usually the gaucho type high tensile wire will outlast the standard green T-Posts. The T-Posts will rust off at ground level before the wire even starts to show corrosion.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 01/14/18
I bought one roll of the light wire years back. It likes the shape it starts out in. A wire gate is a slinky of sorts. I am thinking of using some of the Gaucho wire on some rad fence, it's some cheaper, and as you said, the finish wears well.

Two barb, or four Barry?
Posted By: milespatton Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 01/14/18
We used to call it "Got'ya" wire. Harder to handle that regular barbed wire. miles
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 01/14/18
It looks as though I'd need to get to a Tractor Supply store to find the Bekaert brand.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 01/14/18
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I use high tensile wire down here with good success.

Being a humid environment, that barbed wire lasts many times longer than standard barbed wire.

Usually the gaucho type high tensile wire will outlast the standard green T-Posts. The T-Posts will rust off at ground level before the wire even starts to show corrosion.

^^^^This! Old Son says same thing. Only wire you can get 30 years out of that wont rot away!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 01/14/18
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I bought one roll of the light wire years back. It likes the shape it starts out in. A wire gate is a slinky of sorts. I am thinking of using some of the Gaucho wire on some rad fence, it's some cheaper, and as you said, the finish wears well.

Two barb, or four Barry?

I get either at the same price per roll. But, I like the two barb wire.

One good thing about that wire is that you can stretch the piss out of it. And it's not as susceptible to breaking with temperature swings.

The ranch I had in the mountains in NM had regular barbed wire, and I would spend the summers fixing broken wire that happened when temps dropped, and the wire contracted and the weak spots broke.... Well, the elk weren't helping ether... wink They just plow through the fence anywhere they want to go.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 01/31/18
I've used the 4 point Gaucho for a top strand (super nasty). Put it up 5 years ago, and still tight as a drum. I also used another Bekaert product that was 14 gauge, that had the higher quality galvanizing, that has also stayed very tight, for the lower 4 strands. Gaucho is like 15-1/2 gauge (smaller). The "standard" barbed wire is like 12 to 12-1/2 gauge, and the galvanizing is nowhere near as good. Not as much of a problem in my dry climate, but certainly a problem in moist ones.

The main reason "fence guys" don't like Gaucho is because it has more "memory" (will coil back up and get ya) and the fact that it will break more readily when stretching. That's NOT because it is weaker. It's simply because it's not as "stretchy". Standard 12 gauge will stretch and stretch. Gaucho will stretch, get super tight, and then, with a little more tension, it will snap. The key with Gaucho is knowing when to stop stretching.

The stuff I put up 5 years ago is just as tight as the day I put it up, and the galvanized looks almost like new.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 01/31/18
This! ^^^^. Very true!!!
Posted By: ScrapIron Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 02/02/18
dont catch a strand of gaucho in the shredder.. you aint cutting it out with pliers
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 02/02/18
Originally Posted by ScrapIron
dont catch a strand of gaucho in the shredder.. you aint cutting it out with pliers

Now and then I do get some of that.

But I shred a lot..

I've not had the shredder do anything but turn it and regular barbwire into little sections of barbwire.

Did get a mess of it in my tractor tiller when putting in a guy's food plot though. Stopped it dead. Killed the tractor before I could get the PTO off.

About 2 hours with wire cutters later, I was back in business. frown

I hate running over bull panels that have grown over with grass... That'll get your attention when shredding. But, it's more noise than anything. Sure rolls up those bull panels into a jumble of twisted metal though.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 02/02/18
What is a bull panel Barry?
Posted By: ScrapIron Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 02/03/18
panels are as much fun to cut out as a tire.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 02/03/18
My only knowledge about barb wire involves catching my butt on it when crawling under as a kid and catching my crotch on it when climbing over when I was growed.
That and the fact that it can be hard on bird dogs.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 02/03/18
What is a bull panel Barry?

These, Richard.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h

I'm sure they call them different names. That's just what we call them here.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 02/03/18
That is what I thought Barry, we talked about those on your cool weather project thread. We use lots of those, and many have become scrap. If a 2x6 is put at the top, and middle, they last a lot longer.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 02/03/18
Cattle panel here.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 02/03/18
A 4 1/2" angle grinder and a cutting wheel is the best way to get a cattle panel out of a brush hog, that I have found. Better to not run over one. miles
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 02/03/18

Two barb, or four Barry?

A wire gate is not a gate at all! It is a death trap awaiting the unwary. To compare it to a slinky is unfair; a slinky, while one of the most totally useless objects ever devised by man, at least isn't malevolent.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 02/22/18
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Two barb, or four Barry?

A wire gate is not a gate at all! It is a death trap awaiting the unwary. To compare it to a slinky is unfair; a slinky, while one of the most totally useless objects ever devised by man, at least isn't malevolent.

smile smile

Saw or heard something once about being able to operate a wire gate is a good indication of being a "real" westerner.

I sure don't envy you folks running over wire with your machinery. Can't think of a less fun way to spend time.

Geno
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 03/04/18

do not like the light 15 gauge.....

starting a project this week.........12 gauge 2 point.....
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Gaucho Barb Wire? - 03/05/18

after some reading ..........

I'm gonna put a barbless lower strand at 16".........

Fawns will make it under alot easier.......
© 24hourcampfire