Home
Posted By: wabigoon Trees in Fencelines - 01/28/18
In these parts, it's mulberries. Have nuisance trees yourself?
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/28/18
Sumac is the tree from hell in VA. Wild cherries are a second, then red buds.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/28/18
Brush is a problem down here.

I spray lots of fence lines to keep them clear.

Huisache, Yaupon, mesquite, black brush. McCartney rose hedge, oak brush, and briars are the main culprits.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/29/18
Cedars here. I have some very grownup fencerows.....and I have left them that way for a reason....the wildlife and the benefits they reap.
Posted By: R_Walter Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/29/18
Sage that gets big and woody.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/29/18
Worse we ever had was honey locus. Russian Olive comes in 2nd. Way back in the 50's the county gave out multifloral roses(sp)Once mature, they are about 6-8 ft tall 5-6 foot across. Never even needed a fence with them. Nothing could get thru
Posted By: tburkepa Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/29/18
Multi floral rose here in PA is a problem. If it would stay in the fenceline it would be great, because as Saddlesore said, you can't get thru it..
Posted By: blanket Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/29/18
Mulberry, cherry, locust and elm
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/29/18
Originally Posted by tburkepa
Multi floral rose here in PA is a problem. If it would stay in the fenceline it would be great, because as Saddlesore said, you can't get thru it..

Yep, tburkepa, growing up in SW PA,we cussed the heck out of them.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/29/18
Russian olive, salt cedar.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/31/18
not necessarily fence rows, but privet hedge and kudzu
Posted By: 1minute Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/31/18
Generally a product of seeds getting the acid treatment in bird poop.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/31/18
Pizz Elm and Sweet Gum.

For the guys with multiflora rose problems, get some Grazon Next HL. It won't come back.

Ed
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Trees in Fencelines - 01/31/18
Pizz elum, mesquite, and hackberry. With a smidgem of yaupon and prickly ash.
Posted By: hanco Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/01/18
Yaupon
Posted By: JSH Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/04/18
Mulberry, honey locust, black cherry and red cedar around here.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/04/18
tumbleweeds around here......
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/04/18
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/04/18
Willow, Russian olive or Cottonwood.

Out south here its brush.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/05/18
Persimmon, China berry
Posted By: dh84 Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/05/18
Here in mid TN,cedar, hackberry with afew ash,elm and and occasional red oak and sycamore.
Posted By: ScrapIron Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/06/18
none since i sprayed SPIKE along them.. that stuffs bad
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/06/18
The biggies I am always fighting are privet, elaeagnus (aka russian olive, and autumn olive), multiflora rose, wild cherry, and wild pear.

The rose and wild pear are the worst to deal with. Here's a pic of a typical wild pear thorn:

[Linked Image]

They go through gloves, boot soles, tractor tires, and steel belted truck tires.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/06/18
Cedars, thorny Locusts, Mulberry, some Hackberry and Multifloral Rose bushes. Probably a few others scattered about but non that are as thick as the ones i have listed.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/07/18
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
The biggies I am always fighting are privet, elaeagnus (aka russian olive, and autumn olive), multiflora rose, wild cherry, and wild pear.

The rose and wild pear are the worst to deal with. Here's a pic of a typical wild pear thorn:

[Linked Image]

They go through gloves, boot soles, tractor tires, and steel belted truck tires.

Wow, That is an aggressive thorn!
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/08/18
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

[Linked Image]

Wow, That is an aggressive thorn!

These wild pear trees are the offspring of Bradford Pear trees. The Bradfords are hybrids, and will produce some fertile seed. Since the parent tree is a hybrid you get throw backs from the seed. The birds love the little grape sized fruits they produce, and scatter them all over the countryside. There are vacant lots and neglected pastures where you can see acres of nothing but wild pear.

Cutting one down is a real mess. The thorns are so numerous and long that the limbs lock together like velcro. They go through leather gloves like they're cotton. And if you miss any limbs or twigs cleaning up they will wreak havoc on your boots and tires later.
Posted By: hanco Re: Trees in Fencelines - 03/08/18
Hackberry
© 24hourcampfire