Home
Posted By: dave284 Wiseway pellet stove - 03/13/18
Anyone have or had one?

gravity feed pellet stove

The house is all electric, need something that will keep the house warm during power outages that the caregiver who stays with my wife doesn't have to fool with. Gas is not available here and don't really want a propane tank in the yard.

Any other suggestions?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wiseway pellet stove - 03/13/18
I have thought of putting a propane range in the basement, hooked to the large tank. You could cook with it, and the oven alone should keep pipes from freezing. If it's real cold, huddling by the stove beats the other thing.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Wiseway pellet stove - 03/13/18
They make underground propane tanks.....
Posted By: BIGR Re: Wiseway pellet stove - 03/13/18
Originally Posted by huntsman22
They make underground propane tanks.....

Yelp, I have a 1000 gallon propane tank buried just out from my basement. Gas logs piped to it right now and of course probably a future propane generator will be hooked up to it.
Posted By: dave284 Re: Wiseway pellet stove - 03/14/18
Hadn't even thought about an underground tank.

Thanks.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Wiseway pellet stove - 03/15/18
Don't pellet stoves need power to ignite and cycle?
Posted By: dave284 Re: Wiseway pellet stove - 03/16/18
Yes, except for this one.

I haven't found any others that do not.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Wiseway pellet stove - 03/18/18
Given the choice between a pellet stove and propane for a backup heat source, I'd choose propane 10 out of 10 times. Pellets will have to be stored, transported, fed into the stove etc. Propane you just fill the tank and turn on the heater as needed.
Posted By: mfast Re: Wiseway pellet stove - 03/19/18
This pellet stove also has a most rudimentary procedure for lighting it. The mfg describes using a hand held gas torch to preheat the burning chamber and fuel until it develops sufficient heat to continue pellet ignition. Maybe no more fussing that building a fire with paper, matches, and kindling. But certainly different.
Posted By: mfast Re: Wiseway pellet stove - 03/19/18
This pellet stove also has a most rudimentary procedure for lighting it. The mfg describes using a hand held gas torch to preheat the burning chamber and fuel until it develops sufficient heat to continue pellet ignition. Maybe no more fussing that building a fire with paper, matches, and kindling. But certainly different.
© 24hourcampfire