Home
Posted By: roundoak Horses feeling their oats - 04/08/18
The team were feeling their oats today. 1st wagon hitch of the year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looks like fun.
Posted By: WildWest Re: Horses feeling their oats - 04/09/18
They are stepping out. You could hit your road gait and make some miles.pretty quick. Good looking team and harness.
Oh, boy!

Thats great!

Whats the names?

Every team I was ever around was called Duke and Dan.
Looking good!

Ed
Posted By: Frm Re: Horses feeling their oats - 04/09/18
What breed are your horses?
Posted By: roundoak Re: Horses feeling their oats - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Oh, boy!

Thats great!

Whats the names?

Every team I was ever around was called Duke and Dan.

Jump and Jimney
Posted By: roundoak Re: Horses feeling their oats - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by Frm
What breed are your horses?

Not pure bred, but a Percheron light draft characteristic.
Love to see the days gone by passed on!

Nice!

Not many people these days have driven a team.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Horses feeling their oats - 04/09/18
I see it almost every day here, as I am surrounded by Mennonites. There are 3 distinct groups here.......one uses modern farm equipment as any other farmer would, one group uses steel wheeled tractors, and the other group uses horses. This latter group has some nice draft horses, and will take modern equipment such as a corn planter, and modify it so they can pull it with the horses. They put a small gasoline engine that powers a hydraulic pump, and use that to raise and lower the equipment.
They put a small gasoline engine that powers a hydraulic pump, and use that to raise and lower the equipment.

Used to be a bunch near here but they moved to Missouri and they would not use the gasoline engine on that rig. Diesel was OK, because no Electric being used. They moved to where there were more of them. Said lack of marriage partners was making them lose their young to other ways. miles
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Horses feeling their oats - 04/09/18
Originally Posted by milespatton
They put a small gasoline engine that powers a hydraulic pump, and use that to raise and lower the equipment.

Used to be a bunch near here but they moved to Missouri and they would not use the gasoline engine on that rig. Diesel was OK, because no Electric being used. They moved to where there were more of them. Said lack of marriage partners was making them lose their young to other ways. miles

The engines I've seen are Briggs&Stratton gas burners, but they also use bigger motors, including old tractor engines, on other equipment. One of Mennonite neighbors has a bush hog powered by a small Allis Chalmers engine.

The ones here don't worry about marriage partners, they just marry their first cousins. I guess the closer the kin, the better it goes in.
laugh
© 24hourcampfire