Home
Posted By: Oldman03 Pink-eye Purple Hull Peas - 07/07/18
When the peas get ready, you gotta gitem. Wednesday, the 4th, was the day for us. Rattlesnake and I picked 10 bushels, shelled them (we got a sheller), and washed most of them. Thursday we put 129 bags in the freezers. This is one of the ice box freezers.

[Linked Image]
Nice, Randy!

That'd go good with backstrap and cornbread! smile
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Pink-eye Purple Hull Peas - 07/08/18
Dang!! Y'all must eat peas everyday. I grow purple hulls, both for the market and to eat, but I'd never eat that many if I ate them every day. It is the best eating field pea there is.
I'd eat'em every day if I had'em.

Randy, now you need a couple of bushels of tomatoes and a ten pound bag of cornmeal.
Posted By: RMerta Re: Pink-eye Purple Hull Peas - 07/12/18
Yummy!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Pink-eye Purple Hull Peas - 07/12/18
Mine this year are all vines and few peas, though we did manage to pick a bushel for my granddaughter to sell. Same way with green beans, they look great, but have only a few beans on them.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Pink-eye Purple Hull Peas - 07/13/18
Its been really dry down here. I watered about 1/2 the patch and they made pretty good. The other 1/2 made some peas but the pods and peas were smaller. If we could get some rain, they will be a few more, but without rain, it's over. The snap beans didn't make at all. We watered them, but it didn't do any good.

We got 10 bushels and Dad picked 3 more last Sat. A few friends came by and got another 2-3 bushels, for a total of 15 or so. In a good year, this patch will make 40-50 bushels. Without rain, they just dont make.
© 24hourcampfire