Home
Posted By: JamesJr Buttercup Weed - 04/23/19
Any of y'all have any problems with buttercup weed, wild buttercups, or whatever it's called in your neck of the woods. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go out and take a pic. I have quite a bit in several pastures and sprayed them today with 2-4-D. It's hard to control. I've tried keeping it bushhogged down, sprayed it, and it still comes back. There seems to be a variety of thoughts around here as to what to do with it. Some farmers do nothing, while others fight it. I'm going to try spraying it into submission, as 2-4-D is cheap, and doesn't break the bank using it. Also, you can graze it right after spraying it.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Buttercup Weed - 04/24/19
Not too much of an issue here, as they are so short lived.

I think it gets hot sooner here and the life cycle is too short to be problematic.

Wet and warm does make morning glory problems here though. I usually have to spray for those.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Buttercup Weed - 05/02/19
Is it buttercups or "snakeweed"/"bitterweed"

When I see them I think overgrazed land.

I watched many a pasture along I-40 go to that natural (or unntural) progression over the years
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Buttercup Weed - 05/02/19
Originally Posted by LouisB

I watched many a pasture along I-40 go to that natural (or unntural) progression over the years

I thought that was the cause also, but then I've also seen it grow in pastures that were thick and not hardly grazed. But, from what I can understand, it does grow faster in pastures that are overgrazed.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Buttercup Weed - 06/07/19
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by LouisB

I thought that was the cause also, but then I've also seen it grow in pastures that were thick and not hardly grazed. But, from what I can understand, it does grow faster in pastures that are overgrazed.

+1
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Buttercup Weed - 07/03/19
Is this the one you have problems with?

http://illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/plants/bur_btcup.html

It's what we have around our place, every late winter/early spring. It gets torched when it comes up, which is usually before much else. I've learned to ID it when there's only a couple of leaves showing.

If that's the one you have, good luck with it as from what I've been able to gather, the seeds can remain dormant for a few years like puncture vine (goatheads)

Geno
© 24hourcampfire