Home
Posted By: JamesJr Cover For Round Bales - 05/20/19
I do not have a building large enough to store a large number of round hay bales, unless I were to use my equipment shed, and I prefer for my equipment to be kept inside. So, we've been storing them outside, uncovered, which of course leads to some loss of hay. Last year I used a roll of clear plastic designed for a greenhouse cover, that I got for free. It kept the hay dry, but it also dried the hay too much, which led to hay loss when I fed it. This year, my son bought a roll of heavy black plastic, and we covered them with that. I'm hoping it doesn't dry the hay out too much.

I've looked in to heavy tarps, but they are expensive, and that's kept me from buying one. I think I'm going to put up a hay shed, that will hold about a 100 round bales. If I do some of it myself, it shouldn't be that costly.

What about those of you who use round bales, how to you store them?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Cover For Round Bales - 05/20/19
Have you looked into the wraps.I see a lot of people using them. I use big squares myself
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Cover For Round Bales - 05/20/19
Yes, have looked at them. There is a local man who has a bale wrapper, and will custom wrap for you, but from what I've heard you have to work around his schedule, and that's hard to do. I've fed hay that I bought that was wrapped. It keeps the hay good, but is a pain in the butt to feed.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Cover For Round Bales - 05/20/19
I don't have much trouble with putting round bales end to end in rows close to each other.

Even when I go into 2 years, I don't have much hay loss. Most hay loss I get is the ground side where the hay contacts the ground.
© 24hourcampfire