Home
Posted By: Dennis81082 It Ain't Disneyland - 08/15/19
I had an appointment in town this morning @ 10:00.

About 9:00 I left the house and closed screen door. Turned around when I heard the dogs take off and head across the driveway to a set of solar panels. I followed and started hearing a small animal distress sound. Thought it was a baby bird but as I got closer I recognized a sound I'd heard plenty of times on a FoxPro, cottontail distress. This time it wasn't a recording.

My dogs are pretty well trained on snakes and I could see them stopped short of the sound so I started thinking snake.
Sure enough as I got close I could see a struggle going on. A medium sized bull snake had a wrap on a cottontail. As I watched the rabbit would kick a little and the snake would adjust, slowly tightening his grip.

I couldn't stick around to see the outcome or I'd be late for my appointment so I told the dogs to stay away and went to town. Looked when I got back several hours later but didn't find anything.

Cell phone didn't take a real good pic. Maybe zoom in a little.

Click on image

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: It Ain't Disneyland - 08/15/19
Cool!

Never seen that myself.
Posted By: Dennis81082 Re: It Ain't Disneyland - 08/15/19
Thanks rockinbbar, lots of looks on this thread but no replies.

I didn't think many had ever seen anything like this, I haven't and I'm an old fart.

As explained it must have happened just as I stepped out the front door. My dogs are on top of anything going on outside. I just missed them jumping a coyote last year but was late getting outside to witness the fight.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: It Ain't Disneyland - 08/15/19
I've seen some big-azz bull snakes that could take a cottontail, but I've never seen it. Very cool!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: It Ain't Disneyland - 08/16/19
I'll try to dig up a pic I took a couple years ago. Same scenario as the OP but he turned loose when I got too close to get the pic.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: It Ain't Disneyland - 08/16/19
Well, chit..... couldn't find the bullsnake/rabbit pic. Will a prairie garter eating a toad do?....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dennis81082 Re: It Ain't Disneyland - 08/16/19
Great photo hunts.
© 24hourcampfire