Home
Posted By: wabigoon Soybeans, at last. - 10/15/19
We finally got after the beans today. Jake got the header control straightened out for the most part. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/16/19
Those look pretty good in the grain cart!

What kind of combine you running there?
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/16/19
I wouldn't know how to act in a field that big and flat...I might fall asleep....
I'm gona switch over to beans today...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/16/19
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/16/19
That's a mighty nice combine!

What size header you run on it?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/16/19

Richard - good to see that you allowed the combine to mature to red rather than acquiring it while it was still green!

While we were up in Minnesota (as far as Waseca) for a youth football game over the weekend (got snowed on), I noticed that while they were later in planting than we were down here, they had a lot more beans out than we did at this point.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/16/19
A 20 foot header, it would handle a 25. 6 row corn head.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/17/19
What kinda yeald you seeing on your beans..
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/17/19
59 bushels on the first field.
Posted By: saskfox Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/17/19
Is that an average yield for your area. Soybeans been tried here but they didn't work out. Too bad. They are easy to grow
70 bushels are very good beans for us. For the season we had, we are happy with the yield so far.
Grow any canola there? It's our "go to" crop. Good yielding consistantly. Long term soybean yields in the teens here. A lot of people have tried.
No canola, I think that is a northern crop. Other than hay, Iowa is corn, and soybeans. Pasture on rough ground.
Yes. A lot of corn and beans. My relatives (retired farmers) have their land rented. Corn and beans is all their tenants grow.
Forty years ago, we raised some Harco soybeans. I was amazed to see the beans were developed by Ontario ministry of Agriculture. Back then, I thought Ontario was only lakes, rocks, and trees. I learn as I age. smile
Always learning..... the best part of farming!!!
Send me a PM some time saskfox, my second language is Canuck. laugh
Posted By: lightman Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/17/19
They have been cutting them around here for a few weeks. No one is bragging about their yields though. Everything was planted late due to the wet Spring and a lot of ground did not get planted.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/17/19
Originally Posted by saskfox
Yes. A lot of corn and beans. My relatives (retired farmers) have their land rented. Corn and beans is all their tenants grow.

"I'm Captain Jinx of the horse marines ...."
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/18/19
I guess it was all the dry weather we have had, but when you pass a field here where a combine is cutting beans, there is a huge dust cloud. We were coming back home yesterday afternoon, and saw what I thought was smoke on the horizon, and I told my wife that it looked like a fire somewhere. Turned out to be the dust made by 4 combines in a bean field. That was a relief.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/18/19
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/18/19
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I guess it was all the dry weather we have had, but when you pass a field here where a combine is cutting beans, there is a huge dust cloud. We were coming back home yesterday afternoon, and saw what I thought was smoke on the horizon, and I told my wife that it looked like a fire somewhere. Turned out to be the dust made by 4 combines in a bean field. That was a relief.

Several years back we had a REALLY dry fall, it was drought conditions and there were several forest fires burning which is a rare thing to have happen in this area...at least a serious fire that burns for any period. Anyhow....during that time there were also several combine fires. Your post regarding the dust made me think of it.....

It's probably 50/50 on the bean fields that have been harvested locally. The field we rent out to a local farmer...actually his grandson....the farmer passed this year....is still waiting to be harvested. It's ready, but he's still in school and playing ball so time is tight for him....he's a hard working young man.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Soybeans, at last. - 10/20/19
Last night.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire