Home
Posted By: wabigoon Quick Bloat in Calves. - 11/20/19
We just lost a calf, bloated up tight. Jake ran a hose down, but it was to late.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Quick Bloat in Calves. - 11/21/19
I've never heard of that happening. Any idea what caused it?

When we had cows, I had a cow that bloated one time. Saw her when I checked the cows that afternoon. Got her up and stuck a needle in her. Let the gas out, kept her up overnight and checked her a couple of times. She was fine, so I let her out the next morning.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Quick Bloat in Calves. - 11/21/19
Quick bloat might be a layman's term. It's fast, and it's bad. Good alfalfa hay in the ration and bad luck I guess.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Quick Bloat in Calves. - 11/22/19
The rendering truck. $55.00[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Quick Bloat in Calves. - 11/22/19
Sorry to hear that Richard-I had a bloat call just at dark last night.

Seems a guy can do everything right and still have trouble from it once in a while.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Quick Bloat in Calves. - 11/22/19
Thank you Doctor Dan, if it was always a hundred percent, we'd all be richer. You hate to lose a nice calf though.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Quick Bloat in Calves. - 11/23/19
Once again, I have to recommend reading the Herriot books for anyone who hasn't done so.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Quick Bloat in Calves. - 11/23/19
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Once again, I have to recommend reading the Herriot books for anyone who hasn't done so.

Ya talkin bout the ‘splosion from the trocar? Funny stuff!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Quick Bloat in Calves. - 11/23/19
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Ya talkin bout the ‘splosion from the trocar? Funny stuff!

Of course! Great stuff!
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Quick Bloat in Calves. - 11/23/19
I've used trocars several times without any explosions but the releasing gas can sometimes cause a helluva case of dry heaves.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Quick Bloat in Calves. - 12/20/19
If you can catch them soon enough a drench with vegetable oil will break up the bubbles and let them expel the gas.

Relief is almost immediate.
© 24hourcampfire