Home
Posted By: IA_fog Fish finder - 06/25/20
What’s a good gps finder that won’t break the bank? Would like to be able to put in a map chip or have built in maps
5-7” screen
Thanks
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Fish finder - 06/26/20
Almost all brands have a 5-7" screen fish finder with GPS. They're all good, but picking the one that's "good enough" for you depends on your needs - and the size of the bank you're trying not to break. I like Humminbird, but in honesty Lowrance, Garmin, and RayMarine are just as good. Fans of each would say better.

Just one source (with reviews) HERE
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Fish finder - 06/26/20
I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a ton of experience with fishfinders like some of the guys. I did enough research to get a basic idea of what I wanted, then decided to jump in to get a feel for what I actually liked/disliked. I wanted matching units at the console and in the bow for the trolling motor but didn't want to break the bank with high-dollar units. I ended up with these and am happy so far, though Covid put the brakes on using them as much as I would have liked. Looks like they're out of stock here, but it's a good reference point if nothing else.

https://www.gpscity.com/lowrance-hook2-5-with-splitshot-transducer-and-inland-maps
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Fish finder - 06/29/20
I had a Lowrance Hook 2 7-inch. When I’m GPS mode, it didn’t update real-time. More like once every 1/4 mile when underway. It would lose the bottom if going more than about 15kts. I’ve had much better luck with HDS units.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fish finder - 06/29/20
Mine is in quarantine in the north shed. (slight grimace)
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Fish finder - 06/30/20
I am still back in the dark ages (imagine that!) of DEPTH finders. We tend to catch more fish in spots where the device indicates changes in the bottom than we do in places where little fishies appear on the screen.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fish finder - 06/30/20
We should buy the fish a finder, securitize watches, meet at the appointed time.

I can't even get the fish to read the same fishing book I do.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Fish finder - 07/03/20
I have a hook 2 and it shows what is under the boat. Easy to see fish and will show your lure no problem. You can turn on fish ID and it will show depictions of the fish and depth.
I also have a Garmin UHD 9" screen. It is easier to use. Shows very detailed images with the imaging. Big fish you can tell which end is the head and the tail. Mapping and charting is easy and intuitive.
Humminbird is supposed to be even better images, but cost more.
i figure most any 300 dollar current unit would work. The technology has changed a lot since I bought my last one 10 years ago.
Posted By: Chinook3 Re: Fish finder - 07/04/20
I would stay away from Hummingbird customer service there sucks!!!

Chinook3
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Fish finder - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I am still back in the dark ages (imagine that!) of DEPTH finders. We tend to catch more fish in spots where the device indicates changes in the bottom than we do in places where little fishies appear on the screen.

I’m in the same boat taught how to walleye fish by structure not fish looking things on screen
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Fish finder - 07/07/20
humminbird hands down. I have 3 of them (2 currently on boat) I have a helix 12" with side imaging at the helm, and a 7" on the bow. I love them. if you're looking for a good used unit, I have a helix 5 DI with mapping that ill sell cheap, its not doing me any good.
Posted By: pal Re: Fish finder - 07/07/20
Hummingbird is a 3rd-tier budget brand. Lowrance a step above that. Furuno way above that.

Most important is to buy the latest technology as there have been many advancements recently.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Fish finder - 07/10/20
I'd go Lowrance with chirp. I did and its been rock solid. Hummingbird is for bass fisherman.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Fish finder - 07/21/20
Tag
© 24hourcampfire