Home
Posted By: mikieb Chinese boat motors - 10/14/20
I am currently shopping for a new boat... looking high and low... I could buy new if I need to. Sitting on my hands waiting for a fair deal on just the right boat.

Doing my research... I see Evinrude and Johnson motor options are no longer available because they went out of business.

Yamaha, Honda and a few other Japanese manufacture motors are available but tough to find.

I do however.... see a whole bunch of Mercury motors on boats all over. Some boat makers will only let you have a Mercury motor on their boats. I see Mercury motors from 6hp to 60hp are all made in China.

I see Mercury manufacturing plant in Fond Du Lac Wisconsin received 50 million in government tax dollars to train and retain workers... AND, at the same time got an exemption on import tariffs on the boat motors they import under their name from China . So, if they are importing all these small outboard motors from China... what did they need the 50 Million for ?

Why are my tax dollars being used to boost the profits of an importer for a Chinese manufacturer... when the Evinrude plant in Sturdivant Wisconsin goes the way of Pontiac and Studebaker...

Just thinking. Would you drop $5750.00 for a Chinese boat motor ?
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/14/20
Probably not knowingly now but I've got a 40 hp "Merc" that was part of a pkg. deal came on a new 17 foot Tracker I've had for seven years. I've used it for bass fishing and trout with a trolling plate. I change the oil & filter once a year and that's it. Still using the original spark plug. It's never had a problem, runs smooth and strong. I can understand not buying one on principle but I'd have to say mine's been a good reliable motor that works as good as any of the five or six American made Mercs I've owned.
Posted By: pal Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/14/20
Originally Posted by mikieb
I am currently shopping for a new boat...Sitting on my hands waiting for a fair deal on just the right boat...
Would you drop $5750.00 for a Chinese boat motor ?

First, I would not buy a Chinese motor.

If you're sitting on your hands, waiting for a fair deal to come along, you are not serious about buying. When you actually do get serious about it, you will put in the effort to locate and be the first one to respond when the right boat turns up in your search. Then be relentless about negotiating a fair price.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/14/20
You picked a tough time to buy a boat - prices are sky high as demand has outstripped supply. Used boats are going for crazy high prices. I bought a Robalo 206 in June, came with a Yamaha 150 from the factory.- there was no choice in the motor, factory package deal even if you ordered the boat (with a four - five month wait time). I was lucky, found one in dealer stock close by before they were all gone. Some manufacturers will give you a choice in motor brands but others don't. As to Mercury being Chinese now, I didn't know that until I read your post. I have only owned two boats and motors; a Suzuki 90 on my first boat and the Yamaha on my current boat. The Suzuki was 7 years old when I traded the boat/motor on my new boat - it never gave me a moments trouble. I've seen another brand of smaller size motors at some of the dealers showrooms, TOHATSU - but I have no idea who builds it.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/14/20
Odessa - Tohatsu makes the smaller Mercury motors.. smile
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/14/20
I have a 2021 Tracker Classic XL ordered. It comes with a 50-hp Merc. I had no idea those motors were made in China, but then what isn't these days? So are your fish finders, rods, reels, line, lures, PFDs, trolling motors, batteries...

If you're going to avoid one, you'd better be ready to give up all the rest.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/14/20
Thanks for the info Spotshooter, good to know.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/15/20
I would want an Evinrude if it was possible... but, barring that. I would want a Japanese boat motor over a Chinese manufactured motor.

www.jsonline.com/story/money/2018/1...hinese-made-outboard-engines/2430626002/
Posted By: MOGC Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/15/20
Tohatsu is Japanese, not Chinese. Tohatsu makes the Mercury motors 40 hp and under. If I remember correctly some of our Coast Guard members here told of using the Tohatsu/Mercury motors in their work and they gave very good service.
Posted By: pal Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by MOGC
Tohatsu is Japanese, not Chinese. Tohatsu makes the Mercury motors 40 hp and under....

Tohatsu is a Japanese company. That does not mean that some of their motors are not made in China.
If true that's news to me.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/15/20
Tohatsu and Mercury formed a joint venture in 1988 to develop and sell outboard motors. They share development and manufacturing costs to build smaller outboards at a plant in Japan.

Click Here
Posted By: pal Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/15/20
Tohatsu and Honda also work together.
Ok, Ok.... I can buy a black Tohatsu with red stickers.... How do you figure out witch black Tohatsu motors are made in Japan ? I need the 30 to 40 hp range...

There must be someone that works for a boat dealer that sells Murcury boat motors on here that can check in and give us all the scoop ?
Posted By: johnw Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/15/20
Seems to me like you may be overthinking it just a little.
Posted By: johnw Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/15/20
But I just called Blake at Mercury Support and asked him exactly which motors were made where. He tells me that 25HP and under are made in a joint venture with Tohatsu. Everything above 25HP up to and including the 60Hp is assembled in China. BUT... All critical parts (shafts, Cams, Gearboxes, and etc.) are manufactured in Fon Du Lac, Wisconsin. 75HP and above are manufactured completely in Fon Du Lac.

I'm sure that Tohatsu has a US service and support team to answer questions, too.
Originally Posted by johnw
Seems to me like you may be overthinking it just a little.

Yup.... Probably so.
Good info JohnW.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/16/20
+1
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/17/20
Here's a vid of the Fond du Lac operation...

Posted By: TheKid Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/17/20
I’ve got a good friend who is a Zuki dealer and mechanic. He loves Suzukis, Yamahas, and Hondas in that order. He has no use for anything Mercury or anything else. He claims that though Tohatsu builds the small OBs for Yamaha, Mercury, and others that they are built to a contracted spec and Mercury specs are not as good as the others. Suzukis are built in Thailand, at least the small ones. I don’t know if that’s good or bad but I’ve been happy with my 20hp so far. YMMV
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/17/20
I think we have got way to critical of product's made in country's we don't like. Imgine what that China made outboard would cost if it were made in America. That is why things are made in China! Ya pay a Chinaman fifteen cent's an hour to do the same job an American get's twenty dollars an hour for! And the guarantee is the same. I have a Kastking BC reel I think was made in China, nice reel and if I needed another wouldn't bother me to get another. I suspect most people that bad mouth China labor use a bunch of product's from there and don't even know it!
Posted By: mikieb Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/17/20
"I suspect most people that bad mouth China labor use a bunch of product's from there and don't even know it!"

Ok. Ya. you are right... I am one of those that used products made in China.

And, as a matter of conscience, I am making an effort on reducing my dependence on China. I do not wish to support China. So, I want to make sure that the last boat, that I am ever going to buy... dose not have a motor manufactured in China.

I am ok with a Suzuki built in Thailand.

The Chinese importer, Mercury Marine, Got a 50 million from Wisconsin Tax payers to support their organization... at the same time, Evinrude/Johnson just 75 miles south, sent all their workers home with a pink slip... never to manufacture boat outboards motors again.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/17/20
I was under the understanding that up to including the 30hp Mercs were japanese made tohatsu's ( well there are some small differences between the tohatsu branded engines and the Merc ones but all made by Tohatsu in Japan). The 30-60hps were Chinese Mercs and above 60hp US made. Has that changed?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/18/20
The main reason Evinrude folded was their insistence on making nothing but two-stroke engines. That equine is deceased.
One more thing: Which is worse - buying stuff made in China? Or buying stuff made in the USA by workers forced to join unions that bilk them for obscene dues that are then donated to China-loving Democrats?
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/18/20
Good point.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/18/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
One more thing: Which is worse - buying stuff made in China? Or buying stuff made in the USA by workers forced to join unions that bilk them for obscene dues that are then donated to China-loving Democrats?

One huge flaw here. In this country nobody is forced to work anywhere nor is anybody forced to join a union! Huge flaw!
Oh how wrong you are.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/18/20
I bought a Mercury knowing I could have bought a Tohatsu cheaper. Where is dealer support for the Tohutsu?
Posted By: pal Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/19/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Already plenty of ways to rationalize sending our money and jobs to China.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/19/20
I bought a 5 horse merc long shaft last year. It says made in Japan. I was looking at Honda outboard specs yesterday and it said made in China. I would take Japan over China all day long.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Chinese boat motors - 10/19/20
My Yamaha is made in France.
© 24hourcampfire