Home
Posted By: 79inpa Broke my musky rod - 05/11/21
My parents borrowed my car to take my moms car to the garage. Somewhere along the trip they shut my 7 foot st croix musky rod in the door breaking off about 4 inches from it. I’ve had that rod for 22 ish years and liked it. I am wondering if I should just cut it off to 6’6” inches or whether I should send it back to st croix and pay the 70 dollars to get a new one through the warranty program. The shortest rod that they sell is now 6’10 inches so I’d be quite short.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Broke my musky rod - 05/11/21
I'd get a new one if it were me. Chopping a rod off makes the action much different and the balance is messed up also.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Broke my musky rod - 05/11/21
Pay the $70.00 for a new St. Croix rod and use it another 22 years.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Broke my musky rod - 05/11/21
Take stuff that 's fragile out of car before loaning car to irresponsible people. You asked
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Broke my musky rod - 05/11/21
7' is an awfully short musky rod, I couldn't imagine 6'6. I know the pool cues were a thing back in the day but man rod technology has really made things easier.

I have a 7' and a 7'6, but now the shortest rod in use for me is an 8' St Croix Premier and I prefer an 8'6 for most of my work. Boat side maneuveres are much easier on a longer rod and really aids in setting the hook.

What I'm trying to say is, upgrade it to an 8' and go catch fish.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Broke my musky rod - 05/11/21
I’ve seen some pretty good deals on nice Musky rods on eBay. I don’t think they’re a big seller due to there being less Musky fishermen in the grad scheme of things. If I catfished from a boat I’d have 4 of them instead of the typical heavy foam handled fiberglass rods that are sold as catfish rods.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Broke my musky rod - 05/14/21
Spend the $70. I did when my Inshore got smacked going through a gate on a private dock.
Posted By: Guthry Re: Broke my musky rod - 06/16/21
In my opinion, pay the 70 dollars to get a new one and have it use for long
Posted By: 1minute Re: Broke my musky rod - 06/17/21
If it's 4 inches off tip, put on a new tip top and go fishing. A similar event with one of my twelve foot six inch spey rods had no noticeable effect.
© 24hourcampfire