[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Was a great weekend.

Any body else get out & amongst them ?
Looks like a fine time and fine eating. Seeing those pics really makes me miss going up to Lake Wenasaga every summer.
Nice! What were you fishing for them? What’s the limit and is there a slot?

As you know we are plug draggers here. Our limit is 6 per day and they have to be 14” or better. Me and the boy just got everything put away and fish cleaned from chasing them this evening. We caught 3 between 18” and 20” today.
Looking good there 2 99's got a Lund sitting out in the driveway just a rar'in to go. Mb
Originally Posted by TheKid
Nice! What were you fishing for them? What’s the limit and is there a slot?

As you know we are plug draggers here. Our limit is 6 per day and they have to be 14” or better. Me and the boy just got everything put away and fish cleaned from chasing them this evening. We caught 3 between 18” and 20” today.

Jig & minnow, back trolling in 4' - 10' across a point & into a weed bed pocket.

Our daily limit is 4 per person, no minimum size (personal min 14"), you can keep 3 under 18.1" & 1 over on most small lakes.

On the bigger lakes slot size (no keep) is between 18.1"-21.9".
I covet your fishing spots up there. Fishing here in the Midwest might be okay, but it sure isn’t like the fish part of Canada! Any idea what is happening at the border this year? They wouldn’t let us Yanks in last year.
Still closed, the tourist outfitters & camps are hurting really badly.

Don't like the chances again this summer & fall, as we are presently locked down again.

I'm 2 hours north of the border at International Falls/Fort Frances.
I’ve worried that our camp’s owner who lives in Kansas during the off season would be in a world of hurt not being able to get up there to open his camp. The locals might be “ borrowing” some/most of his stuff I fear.

International Falls/Fort Frances, I know it well as we go through on our way up to Red Lake. We nearly bit the bullet clearing customs at your airport one year when a buddy flew five of us up there in his Beechcraft. Bud was use to the 3,000 foot runways in the big cities, not your 1,500 footer up there. He took off like he always did without standing on the brakes and revving the engines. We were out of runway before we were up to take off speed. Lots of wide eyeballs with that stall horn going off. Made quite a memory.
Originally Posted by Windfall
I’ve worried that our camp’s owner who lives in Kansas during the off season would be in a world of hurt not being able to get up there to open his camp. The locals might be “ borrowing” some/most of his stuff I fear..

That camp wouldn't be Bull Moose Camp, would it??
Nice catch, making me feel bad, second year we are not going to Canada. Been fishing La Seul for a lot of years, feel bad for the camp also
Originally Posted by Batchief909
I’ve worried that our camp’s owner who lives in Kansas during the off season would be in a world of hurt not being able to get up there to open his camp. The locals might be “ borrowing” some/most of his stuff I fear..

It would. What a great camp Tom runs. Probably been there at least 25 times. Small enough lake to get around, big walleyes, outstanding facilities... I’ve been to places where I felt like I was serving time instead of having a vacation. Kello Lake Lodge out of Armstrong comes immediately to mind. Another place called Center Channel had a nice new cabin, but no fish. Eagle Lake was too big. Going to the wrong place can really sour a guy on fishing up there.
Up on the freak show Sam Olson makes hard work look like fun.

On the fishing, and cooking threads, Paul IS! having FUN! laugh
Originally Posted by Batchief909

It would. What a great camp Tom runs. Probably been there at least 25 times. Small enough lake to get around, big walleyes, outstanding facilities... I’ve been to places where I felt like I was serving time instead of having a vacation. Kello Lake Lodge out of Armstrong comes immediately to mind. Another place called Center Channel had a nice new cabin, but no fish. Eagle Lake was too big. Going to the wrong place can really sour a guy on fishing up there.

Tom and Shara indeed run a great camp! My father and I spent 10 days there several years ago before he passed 2 years later. I plan on going back, but this season isn't looking too good for them either. I hope Tom can at least get there and check on the camp. Hopefully he won't take a financial beating.

You can follow Tom on Facebook, and keep up with the Camp news if that interests you.
Went to Joe's camp on Lake Superior, for a change of scenery & species;

A Lake Superior lake trout is a great fish and because of the forage base up there, completely different than a Lake Michigan lake trout. My old charter fishing buddy lives about 5 miles from Lake Michigan, but drives up to Lake Superior to catch the better fish up there. When we charter fished on Lake Michigan, if the rainbows or salmon weren't hitting as a last resort we went to the bottom for the lake trout. Yellow with fat compared to those pink Lake Superior fish.

I hope that you used more boat than what I see in your picture. You are on your own up on that big lake and it blows up in a hurry.
I never caught a walleye trolling on Lake Superior....but a gill net with 3.75" mesh set on the dark of the moon in August will show you that there's plenty of walleye somewhere in that lake. And if memory serves me right the walleye were always swimming south towards Knife River on the north shore.
Caught a bunch of walleyes again & Joe got a nice muskie on a jig & minnow;

Muskie release unharmed !
Really nice catches there, we've had some excellent fishing of late, after a very slow start this spring. I've been out three times and taken home a limit of walleyes each time. Shaping up to be an excellent summer of fishing around these parts.
We’ve transitioned to pitching jig heads with half a nightcrawler threaded on them and snapping the rod up to bounce it along the bottom on the retrieve. Not catching limits as fast as when they were crushing the plugs but still getting plenty of fish. Plus they’re way more fun to fight on a jig rod.
Taste of Summer !

Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Taste of Summer !

Your making me hungry! grin
Sorry, I think !

Hard to see the fillet with all that gook on it. Make mine the "Touch of summer" picture from page one with a little lemon pepper. You Canada guys are getting all the fun because they won't let us States guys in to come up there and play with your fish. I do see that you do the "tuning fork" cut on your fillet. Lots of guys don't and end up eating some pin bones.
I might have to have a fish taco tonight now that you mention it. We’ve been working on stockpiling the freezer with saugeye filets, have about 4-5 gallons frozen so far. Our bite seems to have slacked off but I think I’ll try them early Saturday morning and see if I have better luck then.

This was two days ago
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Great photo !!

Haven't frozen a single fillet, since coming to Canada.

Fresh fish available every weekend of both seasons, makes for 4-5 meals of fresh fish per week.

That's why we get creative with how we use the fillets, so as to not get bored.

I live as to be thankful in all circumstances, but boy, would I love to be able to be on a fresh water lake in ten minutes from my door..it’s close to 2 hours.

2_99’s, you are causing unrest. 😉
Great photo !!

Fresh fish available every weekend of both seasons, makes for 4-5 meals of fresh fish per week.

I have to freeze some to have fish over the winter. I don’t fish much from October to February. 4 month deer season coupled with predator calling and chasing pigs puts a damper on my fishing enthusiasm. Make up for it by fishing probably a minimum of 100 days a year in the spring and summer.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I live as to be thankful in all circumstances, but boy, would I love to be able to be on a fresh water lake in ten minutes from my door..it’s close to 2 hours.

2_99’s, you are causing unrest. 😉

blush

Sorry !

4 minutes to the closest boat launch / landing.

Did I mention that, the new to us house (17 months), sits on 80 acres & abuts Crown Land, so we also hunt at home ?

wink
Great photo !!

I have to freeze some to have fish over the winter. I don’t fish much from October to February. 4 month deer season coupled with predator calling and chasing pigs puts a damper on my fishing enthusiasm. Make up for it by fishing probably a minimum of 100 days a year in the spring and summer.

Oh, I completely understand !!

Everyones circumstances are different.

Certainly didn't mean any offense Mate !
The wife caught a 29.5 inch walleye in Lake Erie two days ago. She is still excited about it.
https://www.tndeer.com/threads/nice-walleye.404208/
Great photo !!

Oh, I completely understand !!

Everyones circumstances are different.

Certainly didn't mean any offense Mate !

Ha! The only thing that offends me is that you get a winter time bite and we don’t. Never thought when I left the great white north that I’d miss ice fishing but I do.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
The wife caught a 29.5 inch walleye in Lake Erie two days ago. She is still excited about it.
https://www.tndeer.com/threads/nice-walleye.404208/

That's a beauty !!

Congratulations to your wife !

Bigger than my best.
My Son with a pig from last Fathers Day;

My Buddy Joe, same day;

My best one is 28.75" - held to ransom by photofucket;

Took Deb for a staycation at a local fishing lodge, for the weekend.

We had an awesome time !
Tempura, beer battered Walleye;

smile
The second week of June is always when we went to Canada. The walleyes were back in the lake after spawning, the may flies were just hatching and the fish were still shallow enough for easy fishing. Dad would stop fishing for a while because he said his arms were getting tired from catching fish. I sure miss that old coot and our fishing trips up there.

Those are some old fish up there because the growing season is so short. We pulled scales one year and kept track of the length of the fish. I took them to our local DNR who blew them up with an electric magnifier and everything over 27” was over 18 years old! Very large heads with more narrow bodies verses just the opposite for the local Wisconsin Bay fish.
Tempura, beer battered Walleye;

smile

Damn your killin me with those pics! I miss Ontario walleye so much! Used to fish Oba lake and once on Red lake on the west side of the province. If there's anywhere on earth besides Alaska I'd like to live it would be Ontario!!!
Paul could cook up rubber boot, and make it look good!
Red Lake is roughly 2 hours north of me.

Don't know Oba.

So much water to explore.
Red Lake is roughly 2 hours north of me.

Don't know Oba.

So much water to explore.

I'd be more than happy to help ya check out every single one of em!!!!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Paul could cook up rubber boot, and make it look good!

I'll bet he could! All the stuff he posts just looks so good!!!
smile

Simple, delicious summer grub !

New 2 99s
You do not just eat, you DINE!

AND

It looks like you both ENJOY Living!
Thank you !

Yes, we are totally blessed to lead the simple, rural life we live.

Both dearly love anything outdoors.

& I married way above my pay grade !

grin
Forgot to take hero shots !

Turned this;

into a bunch of these;

grin
smile

Simple, delicious summer grub !

thats a great way for low carb. Why didn't I think of that?
Forgot to take hero shots !

Turned this;

into a bunch of these;

grin

schools of bait fish or walleye?
I'm biting my lower lip here because you won't let us into Canada to play with your fish because of all the anti vaxxers here. A couple years of growing big walleyes and pike even bigger up there with minimal fishing pressure and those big guys only down 7-10 feet on your graph and extremely reachable with a jig and big minnow. This vicarious fella forum fishing isn't very satisfying.
The blue fish images, are walleye, sitting on the red/purple bait schools.
Sorry Mate !!

If it's any consolation, I'm friends with about 6-8 local tourist outfitters, screaming at the politicians to open the border !

Word is, some of them won't make it !
Happy Canada Day !!

smile
More photos from the weekend, off Deb's phone !

The Girls;

The Guys;

Some more fish;

The gang;

I'm biting my lower lip here because you won't let us into Canada to play with your fish because of all the anti vaxxers here. A couple years of growing big walleyes and pike even bigger up there with minimal fishing pressure and those big guys only down 7-10 feet on your graph and extremely reachable with a jig and big minnow. This vicarious fella forum fishing isn't very satisfying.

So Americans who choose not to get the shot are keeping the Canadian border closed?

I thought it was the Canadian socialized medicine bureaucrats that completely failed to get out the shots were at fault
Damn thats a nice walleye she is holding

grin
Some nice fish in here, I need to try some of that walleye fishing
Caroline & Nathan are up, visiting for a week, from Toronto !

Still really smokey !

Walleye envy.
Grilled Tequila,lime marinated walleye, mango salsa & pickled onions;

Flavor bombs !
2 99's that food looks mighty fine. Looks so fine one can almost taste it. Mb
Thanks Bob !
With Caroline & Nathan visiting from Toronto, we decided on a guided pontoon boat for Friday morning !

Easiest way to accommodate the 7 of us & fish in comfort.

Was a great day of fun & many memories made.

grin
Slummed it again at Temple Bay Lodge, With Joe & Judy, for an extra long weekend !

grin
Looks like you all had a good time as well as feasting like royalty.
What did the northern weigh? Put him back or processed for canadian lobster? Mb
Put him back, I only keep them when ice fishing, or the water is still cold.

Figure roughly 10-11lbs, very healthy fish.

Had a muskie crush a walleye I had on too !

Figure he was mid to high 40"er.

Gets the heart going.
New 2 99's do they eat better caught thru the ice?
Assuming you are referring to the pike ?

Less slimy & easier to handle & fillet.

Don't seem to smell as much either.
Yup was referring to northern pike.
Great day on Eagle Lake on Saturday;

I'm waiting for Joe to send me my pics, from his phone.
© 24hourcampfire