Home
Posted By: Snowwolfe New bait caster time - 05/31/21
Time to buy a new bait caster for bass fishing. Been thinking of a Daiwa Tatula Elite 100. Like to keep the price under $250. I could spend a little more if the performance was worth it.
Thoughts?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: New bait caster time - 05/31/21
I have a baitcaster I really like. I bought it at the Fisherman's Factory Outlet in Sprite Lake, Iowa,reconditioned, for under fifty dollars.

It's in Wabigoon, and I'm not.

What I like about it is, the release is thumb handy.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: New bait caster time - 05/31/21
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: New bait caster time - 05/31/21
Take a look at the Shimano Curado . I got one for fathers day last year and love it , very smooth .
Posted By: MOGC Re: New bait caster time - 05/31/21
I'm a Lew's fan but there are lot's of good reels nowadays.
Posted By: ribka Re: New bait caster time - 05/31/21
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Time to buy a new bait caster for bass fishing. Been thinking of a Daiwa Tatula Elite 100. Like to keep the price under $250. I could spend a little more if the performance was worth it.
Thoughts?

Big Diawa Tatula fan. Have 3 of them now. Great reel for the money
Posted By: Ky221 Re: New bait caster time - 05/31/21
My two cents worth.....Reels begin and end with Shimano.
Posted By: FWP Re: New bait caster time - 06/01/21
Originally Posted by Ky221

The good ones do! They just seem to outlast and out perform all the others. Some Shimano's are hard to find right now. I wanted a Tranx 200 or 300 with low gears but I was unable to find one online or locally. I was able to find a Curado 200K and hopefully it will be here in a few days.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: New bait caster time - 06/01/21
I know it's not bas fishing, but you know how rough fishing for reds on the Kenai is on gear. I've been using a Tatula 200 for a couple years and it's held up beautifully. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: New bait caster time - 06/01/21

You have posted to many pictures of your musky fishing for anyone to question your fishing ability and musky fishing is hard on tackle....

My musky reels while seldom used is......ABU GARCIA. The Abu Garcia round reels win the the European casting distance championships every year......in excess of 3 football fields. The round reels are heavily customized yet round reels just the same.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: New bait caster time - 06/01/21
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

You have posted to many pictures of your musky fishing for anyone to question your fishing ability and musky fishing is hard on tackle....

My musky reels while seldom used is......ABU GARCIA. The Abu Garcia round reels win the the European casting distance championships every year......in excess of 3 football fields. The round reels are heavily customized yet round reels just the same.

I'm not gonna knock Abu, but after 2 Revo Toros ( the HS, and the S model) that are marketed toward Muskie guys, I wasn't able to get a full season out of either. Both lost their smoothness within the first couple of months of fishing. And like I said, before the season was out they were in the shop. Maybe I got two lemons, but my arsenal of Calcutta's is still going strong; and I've asked 2x the work out of them that I ever asked outta the ABUS. I'd say for the casual muskie angler they are fine. But day in and day out use, I gotta go with shimano.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: TheKid Re: New bait caster time - 06/01/21
I love my Calcutta but for one thing. I bet I’ve broke 5 of the damn buttons off. They’re plastic molded around a steel stud and when you mash it there’s no support on the left side. Every time it’s cracked the plastic off leaving the steel stud in place. They’re not very expensive but kind of a pain to replace and I think it’s BS that they use something like that on a multi hundred dollar reel. SOB should be either supported on the offside or made of metal.

And yes KY221 is correct IME, Abu is nowhere near the reel as a Shimano. I blew up at least two per year before I gave up on them when I was salmon fishing. I have a couple I use for trolling and bass fishing but they’re not near as sturdy as they could be.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: New bait caster time - 06/01/21
JMHO- I don't care at all for thumb bar reels
I prefer the one button on the right
Posted By: RickBin Re: New bait caster time - 06/01/21
For bass fishing ...

I bought a JDM Shimano Metanium for under $300. Same reel with a slightly different spool is $500 here.

https://fishing.asian-portal.shop/c...wgtr18AIVRRx9Ch2EfQC5EAQYAyABEgL-4PD_BwE

It’s been out on the lake 2-3 times this spring, but really I bought it to chase boiling stripers this summer.

Casts great with #30 Spectra but I did have to fine tune it on the water to prevent professional bird’s nests.

I’d do it again.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: New bait caster time - 06/01/21
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I know it's not bas fishing, but you know how rough fishing for reds on the Kenai is on gear. I've been using a Tatula 200 for a couple years and it's held up beautifully. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

That is a very positive endorsement! Any reel, or rod, that can survive a couple of seasons of red fishing is built well.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: New bait caster time - 06/02/21
Think I decided on a reel, Shimano CURADO DC, but the model I want is out of stock pretty much everywhere so it might take awhile to get it.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: New bait caster time - 06/02/21
The Calcuttas are great reels.They last forever and so simple to maintain.I have five of them and they just won't die.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: New bait caster time - 06/02/21
When I went back to using baitcasters for some bass fishing after years of using spinning reels for everything I had trouble re learning to cast them well with the first ones I tried. Someone suggested the Shimano Curados and problem solved. Don't know if the Curados were actually the difference but they seemed a lot easier to use. I've got three of them now, Two Bantams I've used for over twenty years and a 50E for over ten. I've cleaned and relubed them a couple of times and that's it. Good quality reels IMO.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: New bait caster time - 06/06/21
Ended up ordering a Shimano Curado 150 DC with the "normal" rate of retrieve. It will be coming from Malaysia so may take awhile.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: New bait caster time - 06/06/21
Enjoy it Snow!

Catch a few for me!
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: New bait caster time - 06/08/21
Curado is hard to beat.
Posted By: FWP Re: New bait caster time - 06/08/21
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Think I decided on a reel, Shimano CURADO DC, but the model I want is out of stock pretty much everywhere so it might take awhile to get it.

Good choice. I have the DC and love it.

BTW I did receive my Curado 200K. Another nice reel.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: New bait caster time - 06/24/21
I ordered a new curado this morning. I was fishing yesterday with a 15 year old curado and the centrifigul brake flew apart. I have fished it hard and it has given better service and lasted longer than any other I have owned.
© 24hourcampfire