Home
Posted By: wabigoon Berckey Gulp? - 07/28/21
Ever catch anything with it? laugh

I can get a few with various plastic baits, but not the Gulp.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/28/21
Gulp in packages or Gulp Alive in the little bucket?
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/28/21
The gulp! minnows are killer. So are the sandworms. Use them on lingcod, rockfish, pile perch. The eggs outfish powerbait for trout 3 to 1. I use the maggots for kokanee too.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/29/21
I've caught a lot of west coast surf perch on both the packaged and the bucket.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/29/21
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Both.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/29/21
That's my brothers' job, he designs all those Berkley soft baits and programs all the mills and lathes to cut the molds used for injection molding. It's all cnc stuff. His boss is a chemist that designs the make up of the soft baits materials. Berkley gulp and power baits are leaders in the water. Mb
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/29/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Both.

Yes to having used both.

I liked the Gulp Alive best. Caught a schittload of white bass on em. Haven't used em for several years now as I am back to tying my own marabou and hair jigs.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/29/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
That's my brothers' job, he designs all those Berkley soft baits and programs all the mills and lathes to cut the molds used for injection molding. It's all cnc stuff. His boss is a chemist that designs the make up of the soft baits materials. Berkley gulp and power baits are leaders in the water. Mb

2" Power grub is a favorite of mine.

Natural and chartreuse in color.

Walleye, crappie, white bass and smallmouth love em.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/29/21

Cool job!

I’ve used their soft baits for years.
Like any job it has it s ups and downs but it's been good for him
He has almost 40 years there he likes being out in front and going hard doing new innovative things. Imagine being adept enough on a computer to design in detail 3 dimensional lures and change minutest details to improve the way it moves thru the water and it's allure to the fish , that's cool. Mb
The only bad thing about Berkley Beddel is, he's a Democrat.
Posted By: Teal Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/29/21
I've used Gulp in the little jugs and bags - never caught anything on them tho.

Admit - only used while fishing the walleye run on the Fox river - combat fishing, those walleye see 2000 baits on their swim and the Fox is a chemical heavy body of water - paper mills on it over 100 years so whatever Berkley puts on them - likely disappears before depth.

And has been dead since 2019.
Berkley tm is very recognizable in the fishing industry and was bought out by a conglomerate who renamed it Pure Fishing.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/29/21

Yes Berkley Beddel was a democrat, while Berkley was in Congress his son Tom ran a PAC in D.C. With both of them in D.C. the Berkley Company was struggling. The family decided that Tom return to Spirit Lake to take over Berkley.

I met Tom Beddell twice, he re-built Berkley to the company it is today. How he rebuilt Berkley was just absolutely remarkable. Berkley was privately owned by the Beddell family so when Tom said it was time to sell.
Jarad Corp (?) bought Berkley for a "Billion Dollars". Not bad...I'd say.
I missed that Bob.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/30/21
Never used Gulp softbait in freshwater but they are great baits in saltwater. I catch table size (15" - 17") flounder with the white 5" curly tail grub on a regular basis. If the flounder are there they rarely fail to bite a Gulp grub.
Posted By: rong Re: Berckey Gulp? - 07/31/21

Any free samples ? laugh
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Berckey Gulp? - 08/04/21
Originally Posted by Odessa
Never used Gulp softbait in freshwater but they are great baits in saltwater. I catch table size (15" - 17") flounder with the white 5" curly tail grub on a regular basis. If the flounder are there they rarely fail to bite a Gulp grub.

The 1 1/2 and 2 minnows are killer on just about anything catchable in fresh water.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Berckey Gulp? - 08/04/21
I need to find some fish, that have read the book.
Posted By: woodson Re: Berckey Gulp? - 08/05/21
I am a big fan of the gulp alive 2” minnows on a beatle spin. One can fill a five gallon bucket of panfish in short order.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Berckey Gulp? - 08/22/21
The gulp minnows are killer on brook and brown trout, plus yellow perch, smallmouth and crappie
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Berckey Gulp? - 08/22/21
Took the grandsons (8 and 11) to a nearby river (creek in size) a couple weeks ago, they brought some Berkley Gulp things that kinda looked like hellgramites. Kokanee and rainbow. Fresh caught grasshoppers outfished the fake bugs about 4 to 1.
Posted By: Sako Re: Berckey Gulp? - 08/23/21
The gulp alive Minnows (especially the 1 inch) at this time of year here in east TN are incredible... I have fished 4 times in the last 2 weeks and each time I caught around 60-70 fish. One evening I caught 27 on 27 straight casts

1 inch berkley gulp alive minnow fished on a 1/64 ounce Trout Magnet jig on 4 pound test on a ultra light spinning rig

Fish I have caught with them in the last two weeks....
Large mouth bass
white bass
yellow bass
Small mouth bass
perch
3 types of bream
channel catfish
drum
crappie
War mouth
buffalo (type of carp)
Posted By: RememberBaker Re: Berckey Gulp? - 08/30/21
I like the Gulp minnows for crappie, I also catch lots of bluegills on them and occasionally bass. I do wish they were a little more durable, I find that the 2” curly tail grubs hold up longer.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire