Home
Posted By: wabigoon Ice Auger Drill Adaptor? - 09/13/21
Any ideas?
They're great if you have all day to drill a hole.
It's really funny watching a guy snap his wrist when the drill bites in.

Buy a real ice auger.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Ice Auger Drill Adaptor? - 09/13/21
Bought mine, ready made for the job !

Weighs just over 3lbs !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You need a brushless drill !
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ice Auger Drill Adaptor? - 09/13/21
We have a real auger, this will be for a grandson.
Yes just buy one Wabi, 20 volt drill works great om my 5 inch auger.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Weighs just over 3lbs !

Yup and the auxiliary handle so it don t snap your wrist.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Weighs just over 3lbs !

Yup and the auxiliary handle so it don t snap your wrist.

Second the need for a handle as those drills have some serious torque. Another advantage of the dewalt drill is you can use a 60 volt battery with a lot more AHs than the 20 volt batteries.
Posted By: dla Re: Ice Auger Drill Adaptor? - 09/16/21
Who determined you need a brushless drill and a handle? I ran a 6" Eskimo Pistol Bit all last year using a cheap Ridgid 1/2" brush-type drill without handle. 14 - 20 holes per day through ice ranging from 10" early season to almost longer than the auger late season. Never ran out of power, never broke my wrist.

At most I would say that a brushless with a handle is a "nice to have". Maybe cutting with an 8" - which is almost 2x the ice to move, requires a fancy drill.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ice Auger Drill Adaptor? - 09/16/21
I've yet to catch a fish that would not come up a six inch hole. laugh
Posted By: dla Re: Ice Auger Drill Adaptor? - 09/16/21
The pistol bit works good at doubling or tripling a hole. I never needed a bigger hole, but I cut some playing around with auger.
I commercial pan fish both summer and winter here on Lake Cham[plain in Vermont. My go to power auger was a 6" Nilsmaster powered by a Tanaka 2 cycle. Had it for 15 years and it cut through ice like butter. The broker where I sell my fish suggested that I try a cordless drill set up. I had an adapter made from stainless that screws into the Dewalt spindle after the chuck is removed. I have two 4 AH batteries and seldom have to change the battery. I can drill somewhere around 75 holes through 2 feet of ice on a single charge and the drill has a side handle to take care of the torque. The drill is paired with a finbore 6" and really cuts well. I would say it is just as fast as the power auger and weighs about a quarter of what the power auger does. I have a couple gun rack fixtures on the front of my ATV and the drill sits up there just like a gun would. I'll never go back to dealing with a gas auger.
Clam Plate drill/auger conversion... available with gear reduction if you desire.
Posted By: jeffpie Re: Ice Auger Drill Adaptor? - 09/20/21
Pretty sure all the companies make extensions for their products , call them ,good day ,hey did you know everyday you fish God gives it back to you,Jesus picked fishermen for the Apostles !!! .
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Ice Auger Drill Adaptor? - 09/20/21
Yep, I bit my tongue.

I drill more holes a winter, than most people (not you).

That set up I have is 8" Plastic & will drill 2 holes, through 3+ feet of ice, while my eskimo or jiffy 8" augers are still on the first hole.

Kinda laughable, really.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Ice Auger Drill Adaptor? - 09/26/21
I'm using an Eskimo gear reduction setup on a homemade brace connected to an 8" Strikemaster Lazer hand auger section, (no manual handle section) powered by an 18V Ridgid brushless hammerdrill. In early season last year, I got around 55-60 holes in ice on a 4.0 AH battery over a 3 week period, (I went 3 weeks without recharging, just to see how long it would last). Ice ranged from 6-9 inches over that period.

Here's my setup. I plan to add a 6.0 battery or 2 to my setup this year.

Posted By: dla Re: Ice Auger Drill Adaptor? - 10/01/21
That looks like a nice setup for an 8" auger. Question: will the setup fall through the hole if dropped?
© 24hourcampfire