Home
I'm thinking about getting one of these. My penns are over 30 years old, and past their prime. no complaints though. Anyway I plan on using this reel in creeks and occasionally the Allegheny river for muskies. Any input on this reel?
Posted By: Ky221 Re: abu garcia revo4 winch reel - 11/26/21
I can't help you on that specific reel, but I've had a few abus.

Revo Toro 50High Speed
Revo Toro 50S
And a revo toro winch 60.

None of the 3 held up to continuous year round muskie fishing. Maybe if you only go a few times per year they would be fine. But IME that's about it. I know you didn't ask but if one is serious about Esox Masquinongy; I'd be looking at the Shimano Tranx if you need a low profile or Calcutta B/D for a round reel.
I am looking at low profile reels. My old penn's were round and I have an old quantum 1420 mg too. I looked at the shimano. Nice reel. Right now just looking for ideas
If I go with the tranx, I think it will be the smaller one.
What about the revo toro beast?
Posted By: Ky221 Re: abu garcia revo4 winch reel - 11/27/21
No flies on the 300 Tranx. I wouldn't pull double tens with it but makes for a great reel for small to medium bucktails, crankbaits, topwaters, and jerks.

No experience with the beast so I can't give an opinion. But being Abu I wouldn't expect it to hold up forlong.
Originally Posted by Ky221
No flies on the 300 Tranx. I wouldn't pull double tens with it but makes for a great reel for small to medium bucktails, crankbaits, topwaters, and jerks.

No experience with the beast so I can't give an opinion. But being Abu I wouldn't expect it to hold up forlong.

I have three 6500c3’s that have reeled more than a few muskies and quite a few 28” rockfish out of the jetty with zero problems. They’re all 15-20 years old though.
I have an Abu model seven and 2- 7000c3’s that are Fugkin winches.
I have a Abu Garcia Toro 50 that hasn't seen much use except in salt water jigging. My musky reel is also a Abu
6500 I have replaced all the bearings with ceramic.....as smooth casting as the reel can be.

I will say "Ky221" know of what he speaks, no one hear on the fire cranks as many musky lures as he.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: abu garcia revo4 winch reel - 11/29/21
If you think I'm referring to a muskie wrecking the reel... Im not. Because they won't.

What wrecks them is chucking and winding bucktails, rubber, and cranks day in day out for hours on end.
© 24hourcampfire